Tales from the Tunnels

qwerty said:
Bro Hyles had an ID...  He kind of made a big deal about showing it. I know in the early 90's when he had a Thursday girls meeting, there had to be security or a hostess at the Malone door to check his ID.

He waited on a temporary ID once at the front door... Had to be about 92 or 93.

He made a point several times in speaking how Mrs. Evans took her class outside one day and couldn't get back in because she didn't have her ID. Didn't think much about it back then. Now, I have a hard time believing he wasn't just trying to be pretentious. I think Mrs. Evans could pretty much do whatever she wanted. It took me almost twenty years to finally find out why.

Staff members didn’t have to abide by the same dress code. ;)

When each of us entered the “Honored Halls of Learning,” known as Hyles Anderson College (HAC) we were given a student handbook. It was a thick booklet that spelled out for each student what the college rules were, what the punishment would be if you broke those rules (demerits) and even explained what your attitude should be toward the rule when you broke the rule. Not really, I made the last one up. It just sounded funny.

What a book it was. It had some strange things in it. There was a paragraph near the front that said any rule could be changed at any time without any notice. You could be expelled if you criticized another Christian college. You could even be expelled for having a bad attitude. Nowhere was the word Hacker found, but you got the idea that somewhere in there was a rule about calling another student a Hacker. Girls could not go outside on campus after dark. You could not harm any animal on campus. There was rule that a student could not go home on the weekends more than 3 times a semester if he lived more than 50 miles away from the college. There was a student who lived 55 miles from the college and his parents politely questioned that rule. Dr. Wendell Evans would often say when he was questioned about some of the stranger rules, “You have never run a college so you don’t know what rules are necessary to run a college.” So in other words, take your demerits and enjoy them. lol

Some just didn’t make sense. Girls could not leave the campus except in groups of three’s, and then one girl had to be “approved.” I never knew what that meant so I’ll let Sherry and Patriotic explain what it meant to be approved.

Then there was this one. Men and ladies could not be in the balcony of the college chapel alone after chapel. One day in chapel Dr. Jorgenson was reminding everyone about this rule. He tried to explain the rule a little bit, stating he had no idea why a couple would be in the balcony alone. After he sat down Wendell Evan got up and said, Dr. Jorgenson, if you need to know why a couple would be alone in the balcony, come by my office and I’ll tell you. Everyone got to laugh.

Now some rules had been there for so long the administration had no idea that they were there, or why they were there. For example. Girls who lived in the dormitories could visit any floor of any other girls dormitory they wished. There was no limitations on girls visiting other girls dorm floors. Now the men’s dorms were a different story. If you lived in a men’s dorm you could not visit another dorm floor. Period. Do it and you would receive demerits. Why the difference you ask? No one knew. I was in a meeting of security guards run by Dr. Hyles. This as an issue came up.  Dr. Hyles asked Dr. Jorgenson why girls could visit other dorm floors and men could not. Dr. Jorgenson said he didn’t know. He had inherited it many years before and “didn’t know why.” They all agreed it wasn’t necessarily wrong but since it was a rule it  should stay a rule.

Another rule that made you wonder was this one. A wife of a student had to obey the rules of the college if her husband was a student. Even if she was not a student. A husband could get demerits for a rule his wife broke even if she was not a student. That’s right. “He” would get demerits for what “She” committed. Now keep in mind that the college had strict rules about girls wearing nylons. They had to wear them everywhere. It was spelled out in the rulebook.

But staff members did not have to obey the rule book, per se. I suppose if it was a real serious one they would have to, but for the most part, they didn’t have to follow what we had to. Most of the staff members were fine Christian people. They worked long hours for low pay. They took a lot of heat from their superiors above. In other words they had to enforce these rules. Most had to have both spouses work to make ends meet then had to have another source of income, such as a paper route or rental property. So they were good people by and large.

Now I didn’t know this fellow real well so I’ll assume he was a good guy. I’ll just tell the story as he told it in class.

Bro. "Tom". (Not his real name) He was the up and coming college theologian. In fact when he preached in chapel, Dr. Evans introduced him as a home grown theologian. I took one class with him. And it was a good class. He taught the Bible well. He covered his subject and he actually finished what he was supposed to teach.  He was interesting and very fair toward his students.

One day early in the semester he opened class by telling us a story. I don’t know if he was telling it to just get it off his chest or if the guy he was talking about was in the room and he felt a little browbeating was in order.  Remember, you were to receive your demerits with joy. :D(lol)  Bro. Tom and his family were shopping at a supermarket. They ran into and met a family of a married student, and let me clarify, the man was a student his wife was not. I think the wives exchanged pleasantries and so forth, then all went on their way. Trouble was, the wife of the student was not wearing nylons, but neither was Mrs. Tom. Bro. Tom turned the man’s wife in for not wearing nylons in public. The fellow got demerits. Wonder how many men today have on their demerit report, “Not wearing nylons.” Imagine having to explain that to a pastor who was a prospective employer.

I guess the demerits didn’t sit well with the student. He must have pitched a fit about it. I’ll bet he complained long and loud to the administration and found that yes, the staff and faculty did not have to obey the rules of the college that students had to. And he must have confronted Tom. Otherwise Bro. Tom would not have felt the need to bring 40 people in on the story. The whole thing was wrapped up by Tom saying something to the effect that I do not have to obey the same rules you do. I hope the guy worked it out with Bro. Tom. The administration maintained the rule. And I do remember at the time Dr. Jorgenson made a lot of announcements reminding students of that particular rule.

Tennessean said:

When each of us entered the “Honored Halls of Learning,” known as Hyles Anderson College (HAC) we were given a student handbook. It was a thick booklet that spelled out for each student what the college rules were, what the punishment would be if you broke those rules (demerits) and even explained what your attitude should be toward the rule when you broke the rule. Not really, I made the last one up. It just sounded funny.

What a book it was. It had some strange things in it. There was a paragraph near the front that said any rule could be changed at any time without any notice. You could be expelled if you criticized another Christian college. You could even be expelled for having a bad attitude. Nowhere was the word Hacker found, but you got the idea that somewhere in there was a rule about calling another student a Hacker. Girls could not go outside on campus after dark. You could not harm any animal on campus. There was rule that a student could not go home on the weekends more than 3 times a semester if he lived more than 50 miles away from the college. There was a student who lived 55 miles from the college and his parents politely questioned that rule. Dr. Wendell Evans would often say when he was questioned about some of the stranger rules, “You have never run a college so you don’t know what rules are necessary to run a college.” So in other words, take your demerits and enjoy them. lol

Some just didn’t make sense. Girls could not leave the campus except in groups of three’s, and then one girl had to be “approved.” I never knew what that meant so I’ll let Sherry and Patriotic explain what it meant to be approved.

Then there was this one. Men and ladies could not be in the balcony of the college chapel alone after chapel. One day in chapel Dr. Jorgenson was reminding everyone about this rule. He tried to explain the rule a little bit, stating he had no idea why a couple would be in the balcony alone. After he sat down Wendell Evan got up and said, Dr. Jorgenson, if you need to know why a couple would be alone in the balcony, come by my office and I’ll tell you. Everyone got to laugh.

Now some rules had been there for so long the administration had no idea that they were there, or why they were there. For example. Girls who lived in the dormitories could visit any floor of any other girls dormitory they wished. There was no limitations on girls visiting other girls dorm floors. Now the men’s dorms were a different story. If you lived in a men’s dorm you could not visit another dorm floor. Period. Do it and you would receive demerits. Why the difference you ask? No one knew. I was in a meeting of security guards run by Dr. Hyles. This as an issue came up.  Dr. Hyles asked Dr. Jorgenson why girls could visit other dorm floors and men could not. Dr. Jorgenson said he didn’t know. He had inherited it many years before and “didn’t know why.” They all agreed it wasn’t necessarily wrong but since it was a rule it  should stay a rule.

Another rule that made you wonder was this one. A wife of a student had to obey the rules of the college if her husband was a student. Even if she was not a student. A husband could get demerits for a rule his wife broke even if she was not a student. That’s right. “He” would get demerits for what “She” committed. Now keep in mind that the college had strict rules about girls wearing nylons. They had to wear them everywhere. It was spelled out in the rulebook.

But staff members did not have to obey the rule book, per se. I suppose if it was a real serious one they would have to, but for the most part, they didn’t have to follow what we had to. Most of the staff members were fine Christian people. They worked long hours for low pay. They took a lot of heat from their superiors above. In other words they had to enforce these rules. Most had to have both spouses work to make ends meet then had to have another source of income, such as a paper route or rental property. So they were good people by and large.

Now I didn’t know this fellow real well so I’ll assume he was a good guy. I’ll just tell the story as he told it in class.

Bro. "Tom". (Not his real name) He was the up and coming college theologian. In fact when he preached in chapel, Dr. Evans introduced him as a home grown theologian. I took one class with him. And it was a good class. He taught the Bible well. He covered his subject and he actually finished what he was supposed to teach.  He was interesting and very fair toward his students.

One day early in the semester he opened class by telling us a story. I don’t know if he was telling it to just get it off his chest or if the guy he was talking about was in the room and he felt a little browbeating was in order.  Remember, you were to receive your demerits with joy. :D(lol)  Bro. Tom and his family were shopping at a supermarket. They ran into and met a family of a married student, and let me clarify, the man was a student his wife was not. I think the wives exchanged pleasantries and so forth, then all went on their way. Trouble was, the wife of the student was not wearing nylons, but neither was Mrs. Tom. Bro. Tom turned the man’s wife in for not wearing nylons in public. The fellow got demerits. Wonder how many men today have on their demerit report, “Not wearing nylons.” Imagine having to explain that to a pastor who was a prospective employer.

I guess the demerits didn’t sit well with the student. He must have pitched a fit about it. I’ll bet he complained long and loud to the administration and found that yes, the staff and faculty did not have to obey the rules of the college that students had to. And he must have confronted Tom. Otherwise Bro. Tom would not have felt the need to bring 40 people in on the story. The whole thing was wrapped up by Tom saying something to the effect that I do not have to obey the same rules you do. I hope the guy worked it out with Bro. Tom. The administration maintained the rule. And I do remember at the time Dr. Jorgenson made a lot of announcements reminding students of that particular rule.

And, believe me, we are not making these things up!

APPROVED GIRL (of which I never was)

The powers that be deemed a upper classman girl that was responsible, followed rules, low demerits ((I guess), the honor was then given to them to be approved!

kaba said:

The powers that be deemed a upper classman girl that was responsible, followed rules, low demerits ((I guess), the honor was then given to them to be approved!

Not only was Teri never approved, she was actually on the "Disapproved List".  :)

Now that Raider....I believe!!

RAIDER said:
kaba said:

Not only was Teri never approved, she was actually on the "Disapproved List".  :)

Actually, Teri was approved.  I, on the other hand, who reached 25 demerits only once in eight semesters, never saw my name on that list.
Most semesters I had fewer than 15 demerits, so their reasons for choosing the approved girls really isn't true either, but that's what they told us.  I guess it was supposed to be some type of honor to have your name on that list. 

I did, however, fail to kiss derrieres at any time during my four years there.  Perhaps that's why my name was never on the list. 

I still don't kiss them. 

patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
kaba said:

Actually, Teri was approved.  I, on the other hand, who reached 25 demerits only once in eight semesters, never saw my name on that list.
Most semesters I had fewer than 15 demerits, so their reasons for choosing the approved girls really isn't true either, but that's what they told us.  I guess it was supposed to be some type of honor to have your name on that list. 

I did, however, fail to kiss derrieres at any time during my four years there.  Perhaps that's why my name was never on the list. 

I still don't kiss them.

CF is still following you.

RAIDER said:
patriotic said:
RAIDER said:
kaba said:

I still don't kiss them.

CF is still following you.

Two things:
[list type=decimal]
[*]You WOULD know what CF is doing at all times.
[*]I know, and it's quite creepy.
[/list]

A couple decades ago I met one of these "young men" (graduated from Lake Central High School) and he said that he and his buddies would get the girls in his car and have makeout sessions there as well. He said he loved the idea of them wearing skirts because it wasn't as difficult for the need to remove clothing. He also said it started when he was in high school with the HB girls but as the boys got older, "moved on" to HAC campus girls. His quote to me was "Those Baptist girls are great because they are sexually repressed." Whatever that was to have meant.
[/quote]

I was one of those guys.... We used to pick up some of the girls at the back gate go out and party for a few hours and drop them back off.

The powers that be at that time knew about it, but we're helpless to stop it.

Appearance over substance. Then just deny, deny, deny.

Tell the parents you are doing something, then just pretend the problem is solved.

bgwilkinson said:

Tell the parents you are doing something, then just pretend the problem is solved.

To which years are you referring?

Tennessean said:

You know, Bro. Hyles used to always say about the ministry, 'It's a jungle out there.' And it is. But I sure am glad I'm not in college anymore. =)

RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I think mid nineties would be about right, about the time he went nuts over the magic blood theory and KJV onlyism, he was trying desperately to get the old mojo back, everything was falling apart, attendances were steadily declining, HB, the college and the church.

This is about the time he did the crazzy sermon on I am my own replacement, he walked on top of the choir modesty rail all the way around. We thought he was going to kill himself, he made it down safely.

Well the strain finally was too much for his bad aortic valve. He may still be alive today if he had had the valve replaced and followed Dr. Streeters advise. He did not like it when admonished, even by close friends.

Bro. Hyles was terrified he would die under the knife. Well he was right he did die under the knife.

It's scarey sometimes our worse fear comes true ..........and we have to face our fear you can only with the Lord

bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

I think mid nineties would be about right, about the time he went nuts over the magic blood theory and KJV onlyism, he was trying desperately to get the old mojo back, everything was falling apart, attendances were steadily declining, HB, the college and the church.
He didn't miss a single service at the old church downtown when I was there.....saying, "Even the president couldn't fill this auditorium every service."

Guess he got the big head too.......

an approved girl was from Mrs Evans/ Carol Frye list..................

fishinnut said:
bgwilkinson said:
RAIDER said:
bgwilkinson said:

He didn't miss a single service at the old church downtown when I was there.....saying, "Even the president couldn't fill this auditorium every service."

Guess he got the big head too.......

For those of you who were there, do you think the decline in the ministries was caused by a failure to adapt or what. They used the same formula that had worked for over 30 yrs?
What happened?