Tales from the Tunnels

CONSPIRATOR said:
And Tim is doing a fantastic job in Canoga Park now, while some of the other division leaders....
I remember Tim fondly, and I was an hB student when he was at HAC.
His brother Mark was my SS teacher, the year of the split, so he was gone halfway through the year...but I knew Tim better.

He probably read slower.

Tim is a good guy. I just liked teasing him since both of us had siblings in college at same time, but we didn't share mailbox with our siblings but with each other. He and I were bith history teaching fields too, so we had many classes together. I still fight bitterness when I think of all the grading curves he blew for the rest of us!

Was Tim tall and blonde?

16KJV11 said:
Was Tim tall and blonde?

Mark was really tall, but I don't recall Tim being as tall.  Their brother Paul was the standout of the family in looks, though.

When I was a Freshman, Tim began his teaching career as he taught Freshman English. Being the son of an English professor, I happened to know more about grammatical rules and functions than he did. (Not dissing him, just that it was ingrained in me. :) ) About four or five times that semester, I would ask him a question concerning grammar while knowing the answer but concuding he didn't. He would then stop the class, go across the hall to where my mom was teaching and ask her! A friend of mine knew what I was doing and he and I would crack up about it!

I liked Tim. Hope he is doing well.

16KJV11 said:
Was Tim tall and blonde?

He was also thinner than Mark. But both great guys!! Mark was an awesome History teacher! He knew my sister when she was at HAC. Tim was a hard worker.

Smellin Coffee said:
When I was a Freshman, Tim began his teaching career as he taught Freshman English. Being the son of an English professor, I happened to know more about grammatical rules and functions than he did. (Not dissing him, just that it was ingrained in me. :) ) About four or five times that semester, I would ask him a question concerning grammar while knowing the answer but concuding he didn't. He would then stop the class, go across the hall to where my mom was teaching and ask her! A friend of mine knew what I was doing and he and I would crack up about it!

I liked Tim. Hope he is doing well.

Similar story to my freshman English class with Cindy Schaap as teacher. She would sometimes teach it incorrectly at times. We students would ask questions, trying not to point out her errors, but knowing it was wrong,, but not wanting to tell her. I believe she may have known the rules and concepts,  but sometimes - especially for first year teachers - it can come out wrong,

Working Off Your Demerits

I was floored a few years back to hear that HAC had eliminated the demerit program. WOW. Where were you back in 1986. Back then the first thing you learned was there were demerits and there were plenty of opportunities to get them. So the culture of 1980’s Hyles Anderson demanded that you pick your friends and pick them wisely. Someone was always looking for something you did wrong to, “Turn you in.”

For example, sometime in the early 1990’s I was talking on one of the pay phones by the information desk. A City Baptist alum named Sorin Potra came up to me and demanded I get off the phone immediately. When I politely ignored him, he threatened and I quote, “I’ll turn you in.” When he said that I couldn’t help but laugh. I don’t know what rule he was referencing but he must have had one in mind.  I guess Sorin was an okay guy. But you had to be careful.

Turn you in. What a statement. It said, “I am a watchman for the institution. I will be the eyes and ears of the Administration.” Not bad in theory but sadly it turned into, “I am a law unto myself and I will cast judgment upon you as I see fit.” Turn you in. It meant that any one at any time could tell the discipline people what you were doing and expect praise for it. It also meant you had better always be on your guard because at any time “They” would send for you and you had to explain yourself. Or you would get your demerit sheet with demerits you had no idea how you got and you would have to take an hour explaining your case to the demerit counselors and hoping this crisis would pass. This being said, normally if you had a good truthful explanation the demerit counselors were very lenient.

“You are the eyes and ears of the administration.” There was a staff member who took this little ditty to heart. His name was “Herb.” He was an older student who had been hired to work on staff. I worked for him for a while and got to know him quite well and he really was an OK guy. He pastors now in Indiana doing a great job. Had some great times with him. But don’t let him see you break a rule. People breaking rules bothered him. Rule breaking bothered him so that he carried a demerit pad in his back pocket. Never saw any other staff member do that. 

The college had a policy that if you received 25 demerits from the college then you had to work 2 hours for the college or receive more demerits. I don’t know why but a lot of those men who received such notices ended up working their 2 hours for “Herb.” “Herb” was my regular boss and I worked for him every day. I would see these poor souls come in looking for “Herb” with their papers and think you poor soul.

“Herb” would use these guys to do jobs we normally didn’t have time to do. That meant that sometimes they had to do the really dirty messy jobs. One day there was a poor dumb hacker who really got it. “Herb” assigned him to clean a part of the dining hall basement. In one of the rooms down there, there were stored bottles of A1 Steak sauce. Every banquet they brought them out, put them on the tables and stored them back when it was over. As this guy was cleaning he noticed that the expiration dates on these A1 bottles were expired. By several years. He told “Herb.” Next thing the poor man knew he was scrubbing garbage cans.

The moral of the story. Work your 2 hours and keep your mouth shut.

When I was a secretary for Roger Casteel. Roger and Tim use to play tricks on me all the time! Tim had a good heart, and I believe truely loved his bus kids!

One of the All time Greats

At Hyles Anderson College we as students were privileged to be taught and mentored by some great people. Some received a lot of praise and acclaim, but most did not. With this installment let me just say a few words about a wonderful servant of God, who was a great man.

His name was Maurice Paulson. If memory serves he was a World War I veteran. He had served as a missionary to Lebanon for many years. After he came off the field he came to HAC and was head of the Missions department. He loved missions and missionaries. He was also quite respected outside of HAC. Dr. Don Sisk once preached in chapel and praised Dr. Paulson. Dr. Paulson encouraged many of our fellow students to be missionaries. He taught them how to be missionaries. He was also quite blunt. He stopped me one time and asked me why I never had taken any of his classes. I replied that my major wasn’t in missions. He bluntly said, “You have electives, you need to take my class.”

And he taught his students all kinds of things that they needed to know. One day he took all his missionary students to the parking lot for class. He made them change tires, test batteries, change belts. One hacker asked him why they were doing this he said, “On the field you have to do this yourself, learn it now."

They never let him preach in chapel, but every time he led in prayer you could tell that this man was a humble servant of God.

One of the greatest men we were ever privileged to know, God bless his memory.

Yes, I agree he was a very humble man. He was always friendly to me and would stop me in the hall and ask me questions about what was going on in my life. I felt he truely cared.

Now, his physical science class....boring!

kaba said:
Yes, I agree he was a very humble man. He was always friendly to me and would stop me in the hall and ask me questions about what was going on in my life. I felt he truely cared.

Now, his physical science class....boring!

I never took a class from him.  From Tennessean's post I believe you had to get to know him to like him.  He always seemed like a grumpy guy.  I have heard that he was a very boring teacher.  This is probably why they didn't have him preach in chapel.  Of course, they let Jorgenson preach.  :)

I liked Jorgenson as a person, but did not like to hear him preach or teach. He always looked like he needed to shave!

kaba said:
I liked Jorgenson as a person, but did not like to hear him preach or teach. He always looked like he needed to shave!

When Jorgenson or Mitchell walked out on the platform as a chapel speaker you could just feel the air being sucked out of the auditorium.

RAIDER said:
When Jorgenson or Mitchell walked out on the platform as a chapel speaker you could just feel the air being sucked out of the auditorium.

That was caused by CF taking a deep breath.

Tennessean said:
Working Off Your Demerits

I was floored a few years back to hear that HAC had eliminated the demerit program. WOW. Where were you back in 1986. Back then the first thing you learned was there were demerits and there were plenty of opportunities to get them. So the culture of 1980’s Hyles Anderson demanded that you pick your friends and pick them wisely. Someone was always looking for something you did wrong to, “Turn you in.”

For example, sometime in the early 1990’s I was talking on one of the pay phones by the information desk. A City Baptist alum named Sorin Potra came up to me and demanded I get off the phone immediately. When I politely ignored him, he threatened and I quote, “I’ll turn you in.” When he said that I couldn’t help but laugh. I don’t know what rule he was referencing but he must have had one in mind.  I guess Sorin was an okay guy. But you had to be careful.

Turn you in. What a statement. It said, “I am a watchman for the institution. I will be the eyes and ears of the Administration.” Not bad in theory but sadly it turned into, “I am a law unto myself and I will cast judgment upon you as I see fit.” Turn you in. It meant that any one at any time could tell the discipline people what you were doing and expect praise for it. It also meant you had better always be on your guard because at any time “They” would send for you and you had to explain yourself. Or you would get your demerit sheet with demerits you had no idea how you got and you would have to take an hour explaining your case to the demerit counselors and hoping this crisis would pass. This being said, normally if you had a good truthful explanation the demerit counselors were very lenient.

“You are the eyes and ears of the administration.” There was a staff member who took this little ditty to heart. His name was “Herb.” He was an older student who had been hired to work on staff. I worked for him for a while and got to know him quite well and he really was an OK guy. He pastors now in Indiana doing a great job. Had some great times with him. But don’t let him see you break a rule. People breaking rules bothered him. Rule breaking bothered him so that he carried a demerit pad in his back pocket. Never saw any other staff member do that. 

The college had a policy that if you received 25 demerits from the college then you had to work 2 hours for the college or receive more demerits. I don’t know why but a lot of those men who received such notices ended up working their 2 hours for “Herb.” “Herb” was my regular boss and I worked for him every day. I would see these poor souls come in looking for “Herb” with their papers and think you poor soul.

“Herb” would use these guys to do jobs we normally didn’t have time to do. That meant that sometimes they had to do the really dirty messy jobs. One day there was a poor dumb hacker who really got it. “Herb” assigned him to clean a part of the dining hall basement. In one of the rooms down there, there were stored bottles of A1 Steak sauce. Every banquet they brought them out, put them on the tables and stored them back when it was over. As this guy was cleaning he noticed that the expiration dates on these A1 bottles were expired. By several years. He told “Herb.” Next thing the poor man knew he was scrubbing garbage cans.

The moral of the story. Work your 2 hours and keep your mouth shut.

I knew there was a reason I do not use steak sauce. 

The Day Dr. Hyles “Lost” Hyles Anderson College

A while back Dr. Bob Gray wrote and printed a book about the principles of Dr. Jack Hyles. In it Bro. Gray wrote and expounded on all the Principles he learned over the years sitting at the feet of Dr. Jack Hyles. I own a copy. It makes some interesting reading, although the chapters pertaining to Jack Schaap are really meaningless now. In the book Gray tells all sorts of stories. What he learned from Jack Hyles as a student. What he learned from Jack Hyles going to hear him in conferences. What he learned from Jack Hyles when Jack Hyles would come preach for him. What he learned from Jack Hyles while traveling with him. The point of this is that he learned principles from Jack Hyles.

In one of the chapters he tells the story of how Jack Hyles counseled him on an important matter. The story goes that Bob Gray had purchased land to build a permanent location for his Texas Baptist College (now known as Texas IBS, what an acronym) at a location away from his church. When he asked Dr. Hyles about doing this Dr. Hyles told him not to do it. When Gray asked for a reason Jack Hyles stated, “Dr. Gray, I have lost Hyles Anderson College.” In the book the story stops there. No more explanation.

Raider quoted this piece on the old forum when this book was published and many expressed skepticism about what he was talking about and what Dr. Hyles meant. I mean Dr. Hyles losing Hyles Anderson College? It was his baby. He walked guard around it. He approved everything. How did that happen? What did he mean? I think that by taking the event that Bro. Gray was talking about, and the story I’m going to share, and comparing them, might be able to shed some light on why Jack Hyles told Bob Gray not to relocate his college and why he had lost HAC. According to Bro. Gray his story happened a short time after this one did.

It may just surprise some of the folks who constantly criticize Jack Hyles to know that not everyone who worked at Hyles Anderson College was 100% loyal to Jack Hyles. Now if you were a student, well you had better be 100% loyal to everything all the time. No exceptions. My sophomore year a friend of mine made a critical remark about something Dr. Hyles said in chapel. Within 15 minutes he was sitting in Wendell Evans’ office getting the grilling and chewing of his life. So the students had better toe the line.

Now staff members? Well that was a different story. They felt that they didn’t have to obey the same rules that students did. And they didn’t care if students knew. Staff members didn’t have to abide by the same dress code. (That’s another story for another time) They didn’t have to go to church. (Several stories) They didn’t have to be on time for things. (Another story) They didn’t have to go to chapel if they didn’t want to. (More stories) The dating rules didn’t apply to them. etc.

Well that started to change in 1988. In the spring of 1988 Hyles Anderson College became a closed campus. The doors were all alarmed and extra security was hired to handle the new measures. To get into any of the buildings you had to show an ID card. Dr. Hyles envisioned the security to be like a major airport. He wanted every person who passed through the doors to show an ID card. No exceptions. You had to show an ID card to get in the buildings. Dr. Hyles had a special chapel where he told students this is the way it will be. Don’t like it, too bad, go somewhere else. Students had to only use certain doors. Students were stuck. Ah, but staff. They still did what they wanted. They went out every door they wanted and came in any door they wanted. When confronted by a student security guard they would shrug and know that the student security guard could do nothing to them. They were, “On Staff.” And staff always outranked students and nothing would change that. This went on for a couple of years. Security learned to deal with the staff.  And you would be surprised at which staff snubbed their noses at the new procedures.

Things with security and staff came to a head in 1990. A security incident involving some people trying to get on campus who didn’t belong there was  brought to Dr. Hyles attention. In the course of  events he found out that staff wasn’t following his wishes regarding going through proper doors and showing ID cards. So he called a special staff meeting. (The following account of the meeting comes from a security guard who accompanied Dr. Hyles in that meeting)

Dr. Hyles thought that just by asking and being nice he could stop the behavior. He thought that the college employees would do what he said just because he said do it. Well he was wrong. The staff bristled. They were not happy. Some asked mean questions. Many argued. This was not the way meetings conducted by Jack Hyles were supposed to be conducted. Knowing he was outnumbered, Dr. Hyles said, “When this college has changed and it is not what it was founded to be, then you people are going to be the blame.” And with that he walked out of the meeting. Now if you follow the timeline it wasn’t too long after this that Dr. Hyles made his statement to Bob Gray.

Now the result. Did Dr. Hyles cave? Did he just ignore the behavior?
Oh no. Things changed.

Not long after this a new employee was hired and a new position was created. Ray Young was made the executive vice-president. All staff were answerable to him. He tightened the screws down and made the changes that you knew were being handed down from on high. Slowly personnel changes were made.

Did Dr. Hyles get the school back. I’d like to think so.

So why did Jack Hyles feel the need to lock down the campus as tight as an airport?

Norefund said:
So why did Jack Hyles feel the need to lock down the campus as tight as an airport?

Way too many new IFBs were being created unexpectedly.

Not too good at a no sex before marriage institution.

Made a complete mockery of the image portrayed for the students parents.

Way too much reproducing of new Christians going on.