HAC chapel preachers & their sermons

Walt said:
Twisted said:
Binaca Chugger said:
...ramblings of opinion loosely based upon a proof text.

The basis of most HAC chapel messages.

And a staple of any message preached by Allen Domelle.

This applies to every message I've heard from Jeff Owens.  Sometimes they weren't even based upon Scripture.

The more lofty the title, the more minions you have, the less your sermons need to include the Bible.

...then there was the "sermon" Casteel preached in his Barney suit. I just remember sitting there, warring with myself over my desire to be critical (which in this case was actually spiritual discernment), thinking to myself how much he was carrying himself with the exact same arrogance as a preacher I knew in high school who fell into sin.

Sure enough...

Tom Brennan said:
...then there was the "sermon" Casteel preached in his Barney suit. I just remember sitting there, warring with myself over my desire to be critical (which in this case was actually spiritual discernment), thinking to myself how much he was carrying himself with the exact same arrogance as a preacher I knew in high school who fell into sin.

Sure enough...
Pet peeve here, Tom:

Casteel didn't "fall into sin".
He was a bastard, not a son, who built an empire of the flesh, gorging himself on the sheep (fame, popularity....).
He left a legacy of flesh driven arrogant bullies who completely destroyed the Chicago Bus Ministry.
The workers he trained either were retrained or wrecked everything they touched upon graduation.

The atmosphere at HAC, when I arrived, was anything but Christianity.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:

Sure enough...
Pet peeve here, Tom:

He was a bastard, not a son, who built an empire of the flesh, gorging himself on the sheep (fame, popularity....).
He left a legacy of flesh driven arrogant bullies who completely destroyed the Chicago Bus Ministry.
The workers he trained either were retrained or wrecked everything they touched upon graduation.

earnestly contend

???

fishinnut said:
Myron Cedarholm

Why men and women leave the ministry

He was my high school senior class Bible teacher. 

Is this a good remembrance or otherwise? 

BALAAM said:
prophet said:
Tom Brennan said:

Sure enough...
Pet peeve here, Tom:

earnestly contend

???
Night college and certain ministries, of which yourself and Tom were a part, were an exception.

The prevailing tone of the College was set by the B,C,and D Bus Ministry, and was saturated with pride, arrogance and the evil way.
Students were emotionally manipulated into serving mini Napoleons.
Reward, albeit certainly worthless in quality, was handed out for every good deed that served the lil dictator's purpose.
Demonization of those who didn't "produce" or weren't popular was the heavy right hand of discipline.
The abuse was so gross, that there were many letting a man ,only a year or 2 older than themselves, tell them who they could or could not date.
Fellow servants in "other ministries" were shunned, criticized, and lambasted in "preaching".

We all saw some of this, if not the whole.

Less, if you were in E.C. or off campus.

Roger was a major player in this, as was Ray Young, and etc.

I remember ten years before that, the beginnings of it, but the prevailing tone was a desire to please God.

By the time we had generated our own grads as teachers/ministry leaders, and had a student body made up of HAC grad's children or "converts", we had pure poison in the pot.
Not surprisingly, Schaap was the most popular teacher of this era....

earnestly contend

Bruh said:
Walt said:
Twisted said:
Binaca Chugger said:
...ramblings of opinion loosely based upon a proof text.

The basis of most HAC chapel messages.

And a staple of any message preached by Allen Domelle.

This applies to every message I've heard from Jeff Owens.  Sometimes they weren't even based upon Scripture.

Oh,oh,oh,oh,oh.......like,like,like......that one famous "sermon" "Are you a life changer".

Or... "Bulldog Christianity" (based on his pet dog)

Remember the sermon by Denny Keniston where he claimed he had lived without sinning?

That was the end of his tenure as bus director and Ray's big chance.

bgwilkinson said:
Remember the sermon by Denny Keniston where he claimed he had lived without sinning?

That was the end of his tenure as bus director and Ray's big chance.
Yes sir, sinless perfection only ever worked for one person, and he Is seated at the right hand of the Majesty on high.

One January Bro. Hyles preached a sermon "Let's look at the average this year" or something like that. That sermon changed the way I look at every relationship in my life. It literally did change my life.

Has Mike Fish's sermon "Ding Dongs, Devil Dogs, and Ho-Hos" been mentioned yet?

Classic line: "I'm still up here chewing on my ding dong".

Baptist City Holdout said:
GeneFrenkle said:
Has Mike Fish's sermon "Ding Dongs, Devil Dogs, and Ho-Hos" been mentioned yet?

Classic line: "I'm still up here chewing on my ding dong".

Gene, You just got your first "Standing Ovation!"

Sweet!  What's that redeemable for??

Ok, here's the story.  Evening College chapel between '97 and '01.  The idea of the sermon was clever and easy to remember: don't be these certain things.  I THINK the props were Devil Dogs (cakes), Ho Ho's, and Ding Dongs.

His point was that you shouldn't be a Devil Dog....don't be part of the devil's crowd and living like the world.  He then ate one of the Devil Dogs and threw the other one to a staff member for a laugh.

Same with Ho Ho's...talked about promiscuity, fornication, adultery, etc.  Ate one and threw the other to a staff member.

He got to the Ding Dong.  Preached about being mature in the Lord.  Ate the Ding Dong and threw the other one to a staff member.  I kid you not, he said (because he had no water and found it hard to keep talking):

"I'm still chewing on my Ding Dong".  It was -what seemed like- an eternity of silence.  I can't remember exactly what happened next.

I was told that Dr. Owens said out loud, "That must hurt".  In my mind, I hear it and think it happened.  But I'm not sure.

Regardless, after the eternity of silence and shock laughter ensued.  He tried to finish his sermon but he might as well have shut his Bible right then and there.

Never made it out on cassette as far as I know.