HAC chapel preachers & their sermons

GeneFrenkle said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
GeneFrenkle said:
Has Mike Fish's sermon "Ding Dongs, Devil Dogs, and Ho-Hos" been mentioned yet?

Classic line: "I'm still up here chewing on my ding dong".

Gene, You just got your first "Standing Ovation!"

Sweet!  What's that redeemable for??

Ok, here's the story.  Evening College chapel between '97 and '01.  The idea of the sermon was clever and easy to remember: don't be these certain things.  I THINK the props were Devil Dogs (cakes), Ho Ho's, and Ding Dongs.

His point was that you shouldn't be a Devil Dog....don't be part of the devil's crowd and living like the world.  He then ate one of the Devil Dogs and threw the other one to a staff member for a laugh.

Same with Ho Ho's...talked about promiscuity, fornication, adultery, etc.  Ate one and threw the other to a staff member.

He got to the Ding Dong.  Preached about being mature in the Lord.  Ate the Ding Dong and threw the other one to a staff member.  I kid you not, he said (because he had no water and found it hard to keep talking):

"I'm still chewing on my Ding Dong".  It was -what seemed like- an eternity of silence.  I can't remember exactly what happened next.

I was told that Dr. Owens said out loud, "That must hurt".  In my mind, I hear it and think it happened.  But I'm not sure.

Regardless, after the eternity of silence and shock laughter ensued.  He tried to finish his sermon but he might as well have shut his Bible right then and there.

Never made it out on cassette as far as I know.

If it were only on cassette it would unravel and be forgotten. It is now on the internet for all eternity!

GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

Ok, here's the story.  Evening College chapel between '97 and '01.  The idea of the sermon was clever and easy to remember: don't be these certain things.  I THINK the props were Devil Dogs (cakes), Ho Ho's, and Ding Dongs.

His point was that you shouldn't be a Devil Dog....don't be part of the devil's crowd and living like the world.  He then ate one of the Devil Dogs and threw the other one to a staff member for a laugh.

Same with Ho Ho's...talked about promiscuity, fornication, adultery, etc.  Ate one and threw the other to a staff member.

He got to the Ding Dong.  Preached about being mature in the Lord.  Ate the Ding Dong and threw the other one to a staff member.  I kid you not, he said (because he had no water and found it hard to keep talking):

"I'm still chewing on my Ding Dong".  It was -what seemed like- an eternity of silence.  I can't remember exactly what happened next.

I was told that Dr. Owens said out loud, "That must hurt".  In my mind, I hear it and think it happened.  But I'm not sure.

Regardless, after the eternity of silence and shock laughter ensued.  He tried to finish his sermon but he might as well have shut his Bible right then and there.

If it were only on cassette it would unravel and be forgotten. It is now on the internet for all eternity!

And as I read it I could hear the Jeff Owens voice!

Has anyone visited their new 16,000 sq ft building on highway 70 near Bern, NC?

I hear their church has been growing and their new building is very nice.

GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

It was Daryl Whitehouse who said something, and Jeff Owens just lost it.

earnestly contend

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

I'm glad someone else here was aware of it.  Did it make it to cassette?

Does anyone remember Bob Marshall's "Don't Be a Prick" sermon?

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

That was another classic.

He stood there and explained how the Airmen  would call certain officers "_ricks" behind their backs.
He took the verse from Acts, from Saul's conversion, "it is hard to kick against the pricks".

For weeks after that, we debated on whether or not Bob knew what he was saying.

You can't make this stuff up!

earnestly contend

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

He stood there and explained how the Airmen  would call certain officers "_ricks" behind their backs.
He took the verse from Acts, from Saul's conversion, "it is hard to kick against the pricks".

earnestly contend

And... we head into the slopical topical discussion.

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

How could he not have known?

Wasn't it Daryl Moore who got up afterwards and warned the student body against using the word or quoting the sermon?

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wasn't it Daryl Moore who got up afterwards and warned the student body against using the word or quoting the sermon?

I can only imagine the fun we would have had with that sermon.

RAIDER said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

I can only imagine the fun we would have had with that sermon.
Our gen was no exception.

[emoji2]

earnestly contend

GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

Baptist City Holdout...I answered here.  ;)

GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

Baptist City Holdout...I answered here.  ;)
OH NO!!! Now I remember.

GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

Who dares me to ask Bro. Fish about this the next time I see him?

16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

I double-dog dare you.  That would be awesome!

I always wondered if he was aware of what he said at the time.  He acted like he wasn't.

16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

I was there.

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

I was there.

Did Owens say it?  I didn't hear and was told he did.  I was too busy trying not to laugh initially.

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

I was there.

Did Owens say it?  I didn't hear and was told he did.  I was too busy trying not to laugh initially.
Daryl Whitehouse said it, to Owens, who died laughing.

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

I was there.

Daryl Whitehouse said it, to Owens, who died laughing.

That sounds more like how it would happen.  Do you think Fish caught it?  He continued like nothing happened.

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Yes, I was there for that sermon.  Bro. Moore was big about keeping our language pure.  He hated words like "brownnosing" and any "substitute words."  After the message, he directly addressed the "dorm guys" about never calling anyone a "-rick."

cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Yes, I was there for that sermon.  Bro. Moore was big about keeping our language pure.  He hated words like "brownnosing" and any "substitute words."  After the message, he directly addressed the "dorm guys" about never calling anyone a "-rick."
Meanwhile he was doing all those bad words with his babysitter....