cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
Baptist City Holdout said:
GeneFrenkle said:
Has Mike Fish's sermon "Ding Dongs, Devil Dogs, and Ho-Hos" been mentioned yet?

Classic line: "I'm still up here chewing on my ding dong".

Gene, You just got your first "Standing Ovation!"

Sweet!  What's that redeemable for??

Ok, here's the story.  Evening College chapel between '97 and '01.  The idea of the sermon was clever and easy to remember: don't be these certain things.  I THINK the props were Devil Dogs (cakes), Ho Ho's, and Ding Dongs.

His point was that you shouldn't be a Devil Dog....don't be part of the devil's crowd and living like the world.  He then ate one of the Devil Dogs and threw the other one to a staff member for a laugh.

Same with Ho Ho's...talked about promiscuity, fornication, adultery, etc.  Ate one and threw the other to a staff member.

He got to the Ding Dong.  Preached about being mature in the Lord.  Ate the Ding Dong and threw the other one to a staff member.  I kid you not, he said (because he had no water and found it hard to keep talking):

"I'm still chewing on my Ding Dong".  It was -what seemed like- an eternity of silence.  I can't remember exactly what happened next.

I was told that Dr. Owens said out loud, "That must hurt".  In my mind, I hear it and think it happened.  But I'm not sure.

Regardless, after the eternity of silence and shock laughter ensued.  He tried to finish his sermon but he might as well have shut his Bible right then and there.

Never made it out on cassette as far as I know.
It was Daryl Whitehouse who said something, and Jeff Owens just lost it.

earnestly contend

I'm glad someone else here was aware of it.  Did it make it to cassette?

Does anyone remember Bob Marshall's "Don't Be a Prick" sermon?
That was another classic.

He stood there and explained how the Airmen  would call certain officers "_ricks" behind their backs.
He took the verse from Acts, from Saul's conversion, "it is hard to kick against the pricks".

For weeks after that, we debated on whether or not Bob knew what he was saying.

You can't make this stuff up!

earnestly contend

How could he not have known?

Wasn't it Daryl Moore who got up afterwards and warned the student body against using the word or quoting the sermon?

Yes, I was there for that sermon.  Bro. Moore was big about keeping our language pure.  He hated words like "brownnosing" and any "substitute words."  After the message, he directly addressed the "dorm guys" about never calling anyone a "-rick."
Meanwhile he was doing all those bad words with his babysitter....

Sent from my H1611 using Tapatalk

Wait...what?

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

Ok, here's the story.  Evening College chapel between '97 and '01.  The idea of the sermon was clever and easy to remember: don't be these certain things.  I THINK the props were Devil Dogs (cakes), Ho Ho's, and Ding Dongs.

His point was that you shouldn't be a Devil Dog....don't be part of the devil's crowd and living like the world.  He then ate one of the Devil Dogs and threw the other one to a staff member for a laugh.

Same with Ho Ho's...talked about promiscuity, fornication, adultery, etc.  Ate one and threw the other to a staff member.

He got to the Ding Dong.  Preached about being mature in the Lord.  Ate the Ding Dong and threw the other one to a staff member.  I kid you not, he said (because he had no water and found it hard to keep talking):

"I'm still chewing on my Ding Dong".  It was -what seemed like- an eternity of silence.  I can't remember exactly what happened next.

I was told that Dr. Owens said out loud, "That must hurt".  In my mind, I hear it and think it happened.  But I'm not sure.

Regardless, after the eternity of silence and shock laughter ensued.  He tried to finish his sermon but he might as well have shut his Bible right then and there.

earnestly contend

He stood there and explained how the Airmen  would call certain officers "_ricks" behind their backs.
He took the verse from Acts, from Saul's conversion, "it is hard to kick against the pricks".

earnestly contend

Wasn't it Daryl Moore who got up afterwards and warned the student body against using the word or quoting the sermon?

Yes, I was there for that sermon.  Bro. Moore was big about keeping our language pure.  He hated words like "brownnosing" and any "substitute words."  After the message, he directly addressed the "dorm guys" about never calling anyone a "-rick."

Wait...what?
Some of us grew up here, and know a steaming pile of this crap.

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Oh c'mon...don't burst my bubble!  ??? :D

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Yeah...we're going to need to know something here...

I pretty much knew all the scandals for years at fbc some true and some rumor, some known and many unknown, but this is the first time I heard anything about this.

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...
When your brother sits next to a staff kid in school for 12 years....you find out things you don't want to know.

I won't elaborate more than to say that eye witnesses, 2, told me this.

I can't give details without their permission, I have an ordination which I take seriously.
But I want nothing to do with covering anything other than my counselees right to privacy.

thanks

prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...
When your brother sits next to a staff kid in school for 12 years....you find out things you don't want to know.

I can't give details without their permission, I have an ordination which I take seriously.
But I want nothing to do with covering anything other than my counselees right to privacy.

thanks

Admirable!

TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

Hardly.  Besmirched someone's character with a statement but won't back it up. 

Admirable would have been saying nothing in the first place.

GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

I watched everyone say nothing for years.

I don't care what you idiots of the old guard think.

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

lol.  Idiots of the old guard??  We were there at the exact same time.  Same classes.

I may have poked fun here but I'm not going to float accusations of adultery then back off when asked about it.

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

lol.  Idiots of the old guard??  We were there at the exact same time.  Same classes.

I may have poked fun here but I'm not going to float accusations of adultery then back off when asked about it.
Yup, typical IFB.
Would demand violations of principals, illegal even, or "it didn't happen".

The point is, hypocrisy abounded at every step.

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

And no, we weren't in classes together, except 99-01.
I was an assoc. pastor by '03, and had been on staff for several years.

prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

You know you're stretching when you say "And no, we weren't in classes together, except 99-01".  Oh, you mean HALF the four years???  lol.  Yes, we were in classes together.

Me?  Typical IFB?  Nope.

I'm just pointing out that you accused someone of adultery then refused to back it up.  Frankly, both sides of the equation violate scripture.  Go ahead and come back and attack me all you want but you're in the wrong.

If he did that, he is wrong as well.  But I have nothing to go on but an allusion by someone posting hearsay online.  I wasn't as close as you, but I wasn't at arm's distance either.

GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
TidesofTruth said:
prophet said:
WESLEY said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
cpizzle said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
prophet said:
GeneFrenkle said:
GeneFrenkle said:

earnestly contend

earnestly contend

Wait...what?

Please  elaborate...

thanks

Admirable!

You know you're stretching when you say "And no, we weren't in classes together, except 99-01".  Oh, you mean HALF the four years???  lol.  Yes, we were in classes together.

Me?  Typical IFB?  Nope.

I'm just pointing out that you accused someone of adultery then refused to back it up.  Frankly, both sides of the equation violate scripture.  Go ahead and come back and attack me all you want but you're in the wrong.

If he did that, he is wrong as well.  But I have nothing to go on but an allusion by someone posting hearsay online.  I wasn't as close as you, but I wasn't at arm's distance either.
This thread is starting to look like when I posted "I Love America" on the Worthless Thread!  :D

Emotion bating...IFB tactics 101.

The answer is "No".

I don't know about this one.  I grew up there and was pretty close to the family.  I can't remember who their babysitter was, but i don't recall hearing anything about this before. 

Max Helton -- Born To Die

For those of you who came later, Dr. Helton was VP of the college in the initial years. He went on to start the NASCAR ministry and was well beloved. I thought a lot of him. A very competent man.

The sermon in the 76-77 school year was about how every person and every institution has a life span and then suffers death. Now he is dead, along with so many others who were a part of that life at the time. The school also has the death rattles and when I think on that sermon, the irony is not lost on me.

"Born to Die"

Bro Bill Pennell my pastor at Rochester Hills Baptist Church Rochester Hills, Michigan. A Stroll down lovers lane........He was caught with other women than his wife. This taught me to never worship man only God!!! He went on to pastor Forest Hills Baptist Church in Ga. Mrs Betty Pennell is the most godly lady you will ever know. She is precious!! She divorced and went on to be very successful . She is my ideal of a godly lady!!!

Max Helton -- Born To Die

For those of you who came later, Dr. Helton was VP of the college in the initial years. He went on to start the NASCAR ministry and was well beloved. I thought a lot of him. A very competent man.

The sermon in the 76-77 school year was about how every person and every institution has a life span and then suffers death. Now he is dead, along with so many others who were a part of that life at the time. The school also has the death rattles and when I think on that sermon, the irony is not lost on me.

"Born to Die"
The French have a saying, the moment a baby is born it starts to die