Can a Christian be a Democrat?

I agree with you with the exception of what my definition of a Christian is.
My belief is:
I struggle with "Divorced Christians" being Christian,
You'll have to explain what is italicized to me....I know many Christians who are divorced, including our own Baptist Renegade. I'm sure there are probably others on these forums that are divorced. Being divorced doesn't stop one from being a Christian.

Divorce is a sin that while it typically cannot be undone, it can, nonetheless be repented of. As in any permanent sin, the consequences remain but the position of the believer isn't changed.

It must be remembered that in the same way no work of righteousness can earn our salvation, no sin can nullify our salvation either. If any particular sin could do so, we'd never have assurance of salvation.

A person who comes to genuine saving faith will not be able to continue a deviant life without an oppressive weight of conviction from the Holy Spirit. Often, the weight of conviction is erroneously relabeled as "depression". (Yes, clinical depression is a thing but I wonder how much is attributed to a clinical condition when it is the weight of conviction.)

Divorce used to be less common or not-normal.
Then it became normalized in the secular world.
And now?
It has just become too easy to walk away...
Indeed. And we pay a horrible price. A friend of mine is currently paying the price.

Follow up question: could you be a friend to a democrat, a homosexual and/or someone who had an abortion?
Not to one who called himself a Christian. That would be disobedience.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. - 1 Corinthians 5:11

Last edited:
And now?
I can definitely agree. My mother and birth father were married in July of 1961,. I was born in May of 62. My mother filed for divorce in January of 63. My father has been married 5x. His mother was married 9x. My adoptive father had been married and divorced by the time he was 17. The 5 siblings I grew up with and I were raised to hate divorce. Yet my younger brother has been married 3x, and our baby sister has been married and divorced 2x. Both of my wife's sisters have been divorced, the youngest one going on her second divorce. I have one uncle who was married 13x. It's far too common these days, even in Christian homes.

I can definitely agree. My mother and birth father were married in July of 1961,. I was born in May of 62. My mother filed for divorce in January of 63. My father has been married 5x. His mother was married 9x. My adoptive father had been married and divorced by the time he was 17. The 5 siblings I grew up with and I were raised to hate divorce. Yet my younger brother has been married 3x, and our baby sister has been married and divorced 2x. Both of my wife's sisters have been divorced, the youngest one going on her second divorce. I have one uncle who was married 13x. It's far too common these days, even in Christian homes.
I don't see how churches could stay populated let alone staffed if the perfect standard for divorce was maintained.

Technically, I'm out of the game because even though I'm still on marriage #1, Mrs. abcaines is not.

I don't see how churches could stay populated let alone staffed if the perfect standard for divorce was maintained.

Technically, I'm out of the game because even though I'm still on marriage #1, Mrs. abcaines is not.
I know of many pastors who have been divorced, including my ex BIL. He was a strict IFB pastor holding to all the extra biblical ideologies that they hold to including not allowing divorced people to preach, teach, or work in any way, shape, or form in the church. They couldn't even be ushers, greeters, or choir members. He stopped his children from visiting with my parents as both had been divorced even though at one point in time they lived 30 minutes away. He browbeat my sister when she suffered her first miscarriage shortly after they were married and insisted it was a punishment for her sin and the sins of our parents. But after the divorce he quickly changed his positions on things. He refused to let my sister talk to me any longer than five minutes He had several divorced men in his congregations over the 15 years they were together, and he totally destroyed one man's faith over his positions. My ex BIL is now remarried and pastoring in an SBC church in. S. Georgia. His 5; daughters have little to no contact with him, and since my sister recently went through her second divorce this year after 15 years of marriage, he's been demonizing her to his daughters. He allows divorced people to participate now, but still has that legalistic mindset from before twisting scripture to mean that he let an unbeliever (my sister) depart which justified his decision to re-enter the ministry. I'm going to be honest here... he's the kind of person and pastor that has turned me and my wife off to much of Christianity. Don't get me wrong, we still love Jesus Christ and try to serve him the best that we can, but we're burned out on all the bovine bombs that go with it.

And now?
And that is the real point. With no-fault divorce being legal in all 50 states, while it takes two to make a marriage, it only takes one to make a divorce with the other party having no say in the matter.
I am divorced because my ex-wife walked out on me. My second wife divorced her first husband because he was an unrepentant pedophile.
There are many divorced Christians who had no intent of ever being divorced, what do they have to repent from?

There are many divorced Christians who had no intent of ever being divorced, what do they have to repent from?
That's the problem with not specifying justified divorce as you cited as in cases of abandonment and unfaithfulness. That was my bad. When I referred to the "sin of divorce", I meant mutual divorces of convenience... However, drawing a distinct line gets messy. No wonder God hates divorce.

How can you illegitimize the faith of a sincere Bible believing prayerful submitted to the word of God Christian who simply determines that a man who engages in blatant and unrepentant sin should not lead our country?

“You cannot say you believe in biblical principles and vote for the principles of the Democrat Party. They’re incongruent, they do not fit. (responding to John Piper) Can God use broken vessels for His purpose? He used King Cyrus to bring God’s chosen people [back] after the first exile for the Reconstruction of the second temple and Piper says, ‘I remain baffled.’

Well you shouldn’t remain baffled Mr. Piper because the people that are Trump supporters that are Christians, they know Donald Trump’s faults. They could recite them back to you just like they know their own faults but he also has virtues and I never hear the virtues ever articulated from people like John Piper. Policy is far more important than personality.”

Charlie Kirk goes on explaining why Christians can’t be neutral in voting.

And now?
I think marriage can be an absolutely wonderful thing; however, there are people who are emotionally and physically abusive. It was not easy to walk away from my marriage. In fact, it was very, very hard, but I experience God's grace and mercy in ways many people could never understand.

There are some husbands who do not value their wives, but instead berate them on a constant basis, use them for their own narcissistic purposes, and can't understand why their marriage unraveled.

Kamala Harris is where she is because she dated Willie Brown.
(That's stating it politely.)

I apologize for unwittingly derailing this topic.
Perhaps someone would want to start or continue a thread on Christian Divorce and Remarriage.

That's the problem with not specifying justified divorce as you cited as in cases of abandonment and unfaithfulness. That was my bad. When I referred to the "sin of divorce", I meant mutual divorces of convenience... However, drawing a distinct line gets messy. No wonder God hates divorce.
You get it.
And I agree that's a good chunk of the reason why God hates divorce, it's a violent, messy act that inevitably hurts those involved.

And now?
As one who has been divorced, I wholeheartedly agree! Fact of the matter is that when one person decides to walk out of a marriage, the other usually has no recourse whatsoever especially since "no fault divorce" is now the law of the land. 1 Cor 7:15 seems quite clear and it really does not matter what they actually "profess." I believe that divorce is a matter for Church discipline and the one initiating the divorce must be confronted per Mt 18 and if they will not receive counsel from the church and try to work things out, they are pretty much to be regarded as a "heathen and a publican" and should be "disfellowshipped" from the congregation so the one who has been "left" will be at peace and have the support of the congregation.

Believer me, the bottom dropped out from under me and I was in a very dark place during this time! God hates divorce but I wonder if he hates it more than I do? I'm sure he does and does so with a perfect hatred. Even though the wounds have healed, the scars are still there.

I am remarried and now serve as a deacon in my Church and the Lord has restored me far beyond what I ever thought he could or would! Once upon a time, I believed that God had called me to the Philippines as a missionary but since I didn't go, God has literally brought the Philippines to me! the Filipina lady that God brought into my life, he used to draw me back to him and vice versa for her! I have seen the Lord at work in her life as well as in her kids and among our grandkids. God is working among all my wife's siblings and relatives in the Philippines and attendance at the local Baptist Church has literally doubled as a result and this pastor is quite busy with discipleship and leading a Bible study in the barangay where they live!

I am not a pastor nor will I ever seek out the office of a pastor. I am a Bible teacher (and preacher) though and this is what God has equipped and enabled me to be and to do. Although I am an andra mias gynaikos (a one woman man, 1 Tim 3:2), I understand that such carries a stigma and a distraction that a local congregation just does not need. I will serve the Lord wherever he gives me opportunity and by his grace, will do so until he calls me home!

Not to one who called himself a Christian. That would be disobedience.

But now I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicator, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such an one no not to eat. - 1 Corinthians 5:11
And yet, Jesus kept company and ministered to Mary Magdalene, Zaccheus, the tax collector...and many others.

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I Corinthians 6:11

And yet, Jesus kept company and ministered to Mary Magdalene, Zaccheus, the tax collector...and many others.

But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

I Corinthians 6:11
You aren’t wrong but your application misses the mark. Jesus did keep company with sinners (what other options did He have?). Even so that doesn’t change the admonition from Paul (inspired by God) that WE avoid those who have claimed Christ yet act like the lost world around them.

I see it as a before/after distinction. How I interact and challenge people lost in sin is going to be different than how I respond to unrepentant brethren.

And now?
To easy to walk away?

I disagree. Of course I can’t speak for others but I don’t see it as easy.

I think it gave woman a way to leave abusive relationships.

I’m not saying you but if one partner leaves and the other person says, they didn’t want to work it out I’m against divorce.

Then why did you get remarried? That’s a sin too.