The "deterioration" of HAC

Welcome back to the FFF, Nib1066.

Did you hear that Chappell has done an about face and claims to be working toward a TRACS accreditation? WCBC would never qualify for a real, regional accreditation, but he is ignoring his own anti-accreditation propaganda he put out for 20 years or so.

IFB X-Files said:
Bruh said:
How was the academic level their?

Had Schaap for English, didn't ya?

:) No, just public school.  No, college. My wife corrects me all the time.  I'll be the first to say I have no knowledge of the English language, punctuation or whatever.  I know who I am so I'm good with it.  :) 

AmazedbyGrace said:

Did you hear that Chappell has done an about face and claims to be working toward a TRACS accreditation? WCBC would never qualify for a real, regional accreditation, but he is ignoring his own anti-accreditation propaganda he put out for 20 years or so.

I thought he was going the TRACS way as well. 

As for the last 20 years maybe he changed his mind, I don't know?

Hyles is dead and the IFB culture is changing and so is he.  IMO

Just a change in marketing strategy by Mr. Pragmatic. What was considered ungodly a few years ago, is cool now...kind of like pants on staff wives and youth group kids (but not WCBC students) .

Now let's see if WCBC can even qualify for a lowly TRACS accreditation...

AmazedbyGrace said:

I have heard a little about this. Honest question, do employers or other secular colleges recognize TRACS accreditation?

The reason I ask is because I am wondering if this change will actually make my diploma from WCBC worth more than the paper it is printed on;)?

I think it will depend on the type of job and employer.

For example, a person with only a WCBC degree (even if they are able to qualify for TRACS) still will not be able to qualify for a teaching credential in the state of CA.

http://www.ctc.ca.gov/credentials/accreditation-bodies.html

"The Commission can only accept course work and degrees completed at regionally accredited institutions. Degrees and course work must have been completed while the institution was regionally accredited in order for the Commission to consider them for credentialing purposes"

As for whether or not regionally accredited universities will accept TRACS transfer credits, I can't be certain, but have some doubt they will...at least in CA. As the state site said, they actually required credits to be earned while the college was regionally accredited (TRACS is not regional) - so no grandfathering of credits allowed.

This certainly does not represent all regionally accredited schools, but here is a list of colleges people transferred to UCLA from in 2014. Many are religious schools (Biola, Cal Baptist, Cal Lutheran, Azusa Pacific, etc.), but all seem to be regionally accredited (I checked many, not all). Musicians Institute was the only one I found with a national accreditation, but I do not know if any classes transferred or if the student came in essentially as a freshman.

You probably have to check with individual schools to see if you can transfer any classes. Maybe a secular school outside of CA will work out better.

https://www.admissions.ucla.edu/prospect/adm_tr/Tr_Prof14_Calif.htm

sword said:
Have the academic standards at HAC always been low. The first hand accounts I have heard recently, from former students, about their classes have been disgraceful.  The stories of teachers always arriving late, being unprepared, or just telling stories all hour are common. To spend a semester attending a class every week & having very little work assigned & to learn little or nothing is inexcusable.

Can I get some first hand experience in this matter. Are these isolated incidents or are they common through out HAC?
Has it always been this way and if not when did the downward slide began?

This is a symptom of "college" that is really "free labor for the church".

At least you have to pay for slaves, but in this sweet deal, the "slaves" are paying for the privilege of being worked hard.

Walt said:
sword said:
Have the academic standards at HAC always been low. The first hand accounts I have heard recently, from former students, about their classes have been disgraceful.  The stories of teachers always arriving late, being unprepared, or just telling stories all hour are common. To spend a semester attending a class every week & having very little work assigned & to learn little or nothing is inexcusable.

Can I get some first hand experience in this matter. Are these isolated incidents or are they common through out HAC?
Walt, this is truer than you know. I always wondered about these fairly small baptist churches starting their own colleges. It seems that the natural progression was evangelism, start a bus ministry, and (if all goes well) start a college. How in the world can a pastor in a fairly small church expect to be able to give a college education to young people with so few resources? Until one day I heard one of them say that he was losing his best workers because they were going off somewhere else to bible college.

At least you have to pay for slaves, but in this sweet deal, the "slaves" are paying for the privilege of being worked hard.

BALAAM said:
Walt said:
sword said:

Walt, this is truer than you know. I always wondered about these fairly small baptist churches starting their own colleges. It seems that the natural progression was evangelism, start a bus ministry, and (if all goes well) start a college. How in the world can a pastor in a fairly small church expect to be able to give a college education to young people with so few resources? Until one day I heard one of them say that he was losing his best workers because they were going off somewhere else to bible college.

Never thought of myself as free labor for the church...I honestly believe that I received a whole lot more than I gave while I labored for the Lord in the church. I'm thankful that the two men in my church didn't have a sour attitude when the labored for 14 free hours to put a new ceramic tile floor in our church. 

16KJV11 said:
BALAAM said:
Walt said:
sword said:

Never thought of myself as free labor for the church...I honestly believe that I received a whole lot more than I gave while I labored for the Lord in the church. I'm thankful that the two men in my church didn't have a sour attitude when the labored for 14 free hours to put a new ceramic tile floor in our church.

It's one thing to volunteer of one's own free will, but (as I understand it), college students don't have a  choice. I thought all freshmen were required to work the bus ministry.  A non-student can decide that his family is suffering from his not being around and pull back or drop out of his activities, but not a student.

When one's service to the Lord becomes mandatory, it is no longer "service to the Lord".

The college rules were you had to work in the bus ministry for 1 year.

You also had to attend Dr. Hyles's Sunday School Class & Sunday Morning Services for 1 semester.

That being said, you were only required to go soul winning 1 hour per week, and witness to at least 2 people in any 2 week period.  However, when it was below 0 degrees on Saturday at 7 am, you were not required to go soul winning that week, and the girls were not allowed.

These were the official rules according to the handbook... of course, your bus captain / division leader would "motivate" you to do more :)

And, it was never a requirement to ride night bus.  You could also miss Sunday & Wednesday Night Services if you were working.

Walt said:
16KJV11 tlink=topic=5400.msg100939#msg100939 date=1421067900] [quote author=BALAAM said:
Walt said:
sword said:

It's one thing to volunteer of one's own free will, but (as I understand it), college students don't have a  choice. I thought all freshmen were required to work the bus ministry.  A non-student can decide that his family is suffering from his not being around and pull back or drop out of his activities, but not a student.

When one's service to the Lord becomes mandatory, it is no longer "service to the Lord".
[/quote]
When I was there, one was required to work in the bus ministry for at least one semester (maybe 2, my memory is failing) of your choosing, not necessarily in your freshman year.  I have no problem with that. Nowadays, (I may be wrong about this, but i dont thin so) but many secular colleges require some form of community service to either get in the school or to graduate.  The biggest emphasis that HAC stood for was service, a burden for the lost, having a burning heart to love and serve the Lord.  You don't get these things in a classroom or hanging around the student union or the bowling alley.  Also, if you didn't agree with what they told you, you could always leave.  8)

16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
16KJV11 tlink=topic=5400.msg100939#msg100939 date=1421067900] [quote author=BALAAM said:
Walt said:
sword said:

When I was there, one was required to work in the bus ministry for at least one semester (maybe 2, my memory is failing) of your choosing, not necessarily in your freshman year.  I have no problem with that. Nowadays, (I may be wrong about this, but i dont thin so) but many secular colleges require some form of community service to either get in the school or to graduate.  The biggest emphasis that HAC stood for was service, a burden for the lost, having a burning heart to love and serve the Lord.  You don't get these things in a classroom or hanging around the student union or the bowling alley.
[/quote]
That is the upside, and this is a thread about the downside....get it right, chairforce!!!

prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

When I was there, one was required to work in the bus ministry for at least one semester (maybe 2, my memory is failing) of your choosing, not necessarily in your freshman year.  I have no problem with that. Nowadays, (I may be wrong about this, but i dont thin so) but many secular colleges require some form of community service to either get in the school or to graduate.  The biggest emphasis that HAC stood for was service, a burden for the lost, having a burning heart to love and serve the Lord.  You don't get these things in a classroom or hanging around the student union or the bowling alley.
That is the upside, and this is a thread about the downside....get it right, chairforce!!!
[/quote]
Jawol herr swabbi lite! :p

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

[/quote]
Ouch!

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

[/quote]

Iski dontski understandski.

BALAAM said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

[/quote]
He's saying I ain't even worthy of being called a Sailor.

prophet said:
BALAAM said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

[/quote]
I'll say this...I'm glad that I'm not any where near you. 

16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
BALAAM said:
16KJV11 said:
prophet said:
16KJV11 said:
Walt said:
Walt said:
sword said:

I'll say this...I'm glad that I'm not any where near you.
[/quote]

Don't tell me that you don't have any Pollocks in the Pittsburgh area.