Tales from the Tunnels

Always Respect Your Room Monitor

A few days ago while checking Facebook,  the computer sent me the usual list of friends of friends that I might know and that I might want to become friends with. Usually I just ignore the suggestions but this time one caught my eye. It was a lady that had grown up at FBC and was a student at HAC the same time that I was. The reason it caught my eye was because I knew well the man this woman married.

In keeping with the practice of not using real names I’ll call this fellow Roscoe. Roscoe had an interesting HAC career. He was always impeccably groomed. His hair was never out of place. Never out of place. Remember that. His hair was never out of place. His pants never had a wrinkle and always had a crease. His shirt was always ironed and had so much starch that it never wrinkled, his tie was always the correct length and his shoes were always shined. One day he was walking down the hallway to the Rice Dorm, Marty Braemer said, “Hey Roscoe, nice necktie.” Roscoe immediately took off the tie and gave it to Marty. 3 years later Marty gave the tie to me. 

In the fall of 1991 I had a graduate level class with Roscoe that was taught by Dr. Bob Auclair. The class met in the 3rd room of the Decoster Dining Hall. Dr. Auclair was a stickler for the rules. Each one must be obeyed and enforced. He also was a stickler when it came to his class. You had better show up and you had better be on time. Before every class Dr. Auclair would take prayer requests and praises and every day Roscoe had multiple prayer requests and praises. Nothing wrong with that but very quickly he  dominated prayer requests and praises. Through the daily prayer request and praise time we came to  find out a lot about Roscoe. For example, we found out quickly that Roscoe had grown up in and came from the Hyles Baptist Church from somewhere in Virginia. We received an almost daily update that the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia was on track to break their record number of baptisms. (For the record, I enjoy hearing about people saved and baptized and rejoice in each profession of faith) Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, asked prayer for the folks on his bus route. Then we found out that Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia,  had a new girlfriend. And every day we had to listen to Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, tell us about her, what a fine Christian she was, where they went on dates, what verses in the Bible they read on dates, etc. Then Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia,  would ask prayer for his 3 freshman roommates that he would be a good example to them as helped them become acclimated to dorm life at Hyles Anderson College.

You see, Roscoe was a room monitor. At this time, dormitories at HAC were run by a dorm supervisor. A paid staff position. When the supervisor went home at 5 p.m. the Room Monitors took over. The RM was usually an upperclassman who the administration thought they could trust to keep order in a room. The  RM was the eyes and ears of the administration in the dorms. In the early days of HAC RM’s could give demerits.  But this had been so abused that by 1991 all the RM’s could do was report the rules violations the fellows in their rooms committed to the Dorm Supervisors. Some of the RM’s were ok, others allowed the power and title to go to their heads. In other words they were Hackers, and not the good kind. So almost every day Roscoe would ask prayer for these 3 freshman under his care. It was clear that Roscoe was enjoying the position and title of Room Monitor. I didn’t give it a lot of thought. I was glad that Roscoe did not live on my floor. You see, Roscoe lived on Prophets/Malone 3, I lived on Prophets/Malone 2.

On Monday’s, Tuesday’s and Thursday’s at 11p.m. each room in the HAC men’s dormitories had a time of devotion. It was supposed to last 15 minutes, with lights being turned out and everyone going to bed at 12. One night a few minutes before 11 my door burst open and a close friend who lived on Prophets/Malone 3 burst in. He said, “We need you, come upstairs.” I told the 3 men in my room that I was going to be a having devotions in another room and I went upstairs to Malone 3. I was ushered into the large room at the end of the hall, and I found that I had been invited to a de facto floor meeting of Malone 3.

There were 40 guys in the room. It was a somber gathering. There were 3 guys sitting in chairs in the middle of the room. They were almost expressionless. I figured out who the group leader was and asked what was up. And they told me the story. These 3 guys lived in Roscoe’s room. They hated Roscoe. Roscoe turned them in for every rule violation he could think of. Even if they had not broke a rule, he still turned them in because he thought they were breaking a rule. These 3 freshmen were not enjoying their time at Hyles Anderson College. They were miserable. But Roscoe had gone a step further. He had taken it upon himself to be the judge, jury and executioner of the whole floor and in doing so he had made a lot of enemies. So Malone 3 had called a meeting. Under the pretense of floor devotions they had gathered. What are we going to do about Roscoe?

I looked around the room and realized I was the oldest student in the room and the only graduate level student. So I realized that it was my duty to make sure these fellows didn’t do anything stupid. The ideas started being kicked around. Doing him bodily harm was forbidden. Poisoning him was also ruled out. A lot of guys including myself had had food or drink spiked unknowingly over the years and that was just plain wrong. That wasn’t going to happen, especially when I told the gathering that that had just happened on another floor to another guy like Roscoe. That guy had gone to the hospital for a couple days and his parents were looking to press charges. It was made known to these guys that you will not harm his person or his property.

So these guys got creative. They decided to go after the one thing Roscoe was noted for, his hair. The plan was to make him wake up late where he would not have time to iron his clothes and comb his hair before class. They noticed that he went out to the lake every night at 10 p.m. and would return about 10:45. A man was designated to follow him and alert the floor when he left and returned. A man was assigned to detach the backup battery in his alarm clock. Another fellow was assigned the job of flipping the circuit breaker to cut all electricity to Roscoe’s room. This was designed to help Roscoe oversleep and keep him from ironing.

I was safely in my room the night it went down. My buddy who had invited me came down about 11:30. “Well, what did you do?” I asked. With a wide grin he held up a plastic bag that held a brush and 2 combs. “We’ll put it back before chapel,” he said.

I made sure to get to class early the next morning. At 8:03 The main door to Decoster Dining Hall burst open and Roscoe came running through. He burst into class late. His impeccable hair was wet and uncombed and his pants and shirt were horribly wrinkled. The public humiliation they had been hoping for had worked. Roscoe seemed rather preoccupied. Dr. Auclair said to him, “Roscoe, you're late?” “Sorry,” was all he could say. The guys in the class had a little fun asking him if he was going liberal or new evangelical. One asked if he was going to transfer to Liberty and how a fellow who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, would go over there.

24 years later. Facebook. Roscoe had married the girl he had been dating. His picture showed that he had not aged a bit. And his hair? Still perfect, with not one out of place.

I spent years in the same dorms you did and somehow missed so much...

<smh>

I remember once Dave Carpenter pulling me into his office and asking me what was wrong with the guys on my dorm floor, why they were being so rebellious and breaking so many rules. I didn't even realize they had been breaking rules. I looked at him like a calf looking at a new gate, and he finally realized my confusion and dismissed me. I don't think it was that I was unobservant. I think it was a combination of the fact that I was naive, and that I was almost never on the floor. I worked 50 hours a week plus school plus a busroute. I also didn't make friends very well outside of the circle of my ministry activity. I read these stories of yours and I just shake my head... I missed all of this. Amazing, isn't it, how clueless one man can be to what is going on around him?

Tom Brennan said:

<smh>

I remember once Dave Carpenter pulling me into his office and asking me what was wrong with the guys on my dorm floor, why they were being so rebellious and breaking so many rules. I didn't even realize they had been breaking rules. I looked at him like a calf looking at a new gate, and he finally realized my confusion and dismissed me. I don't think it was that I was unobservant. I think it was a combination of the fact that I was naive, and that I was almost never on the floor. I worked 50 hours a week plus school plus a busroute. I also didn't make friends very well outside of the circle of my ministry activity. I read these stories of yours and I just shake my head... I missed all of this. Amazing, isn't it, how clueless one man can be to what is going on around him?

Tom, you have just described a Hacker, you stinkin' Hacker!!

Tennessean said:
Always Respect Your Room Monitor

A few days ago while checking Facebook,  the computer sent me the usual list of friends of friends that I might know and that I might want to become friends with. Usually I just ignore the suggestions but this time one caught my eye. It was a lady that had grown up at FBC and was a student at HAC the same time that I was. The reason it caught my eye was because I knew well the man this woman married.

In keeping with the practice of not using real names I’ll call this fellow Roscoe. Roscoe had an interesting HAC career. He was always impeccably groomed. His hair was never out of place. Never out of place. Remember that. His hair was never out of place. His pants never had a wrinkle and always had a crease. His shirt was always ironed and had so much starch that it never wrinkled, his tie was always the correct length and his shoes were always shined. One day he was walking down the hallway to the Rice Dorm, Marty Braemer said, “Hey Roscoe, nice necktie.” Roscoe immediately took off the tie and gave it to Marty. 3 years later Marty gave the tie to me. 

In the fall of 1991 I had a graduate level class with Roscoe that was taught by Dr. Bob Auclair. The class met in the 3rd room of the Decoster Dining Hall. Dr. Auclair was a stickler for the rules. Each one must be obeyed and enforced. He also was a stickler when it came to his class. You had better show up and you had better be on time. Before every class Dr. Auclair would take prayer requests and praises and every day Roscoe had multiple prayer requests and praises. Nothing wrong with that but very quickly he  dominated prayer requests and praises. Through the daily prayer request and praise time we came to  find out a lot about Roscoe. For example, we found out quickly that Roscoe had grown up in and came from the Hyles Baptist Church from somewhere in Virginia. We received an almost daily update that the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia was on track to break their record number of baptisms. (For the record, I enjoy hearing about people saved and baptized and rejoice in each profession of faith) Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, asked prayer for the folks on his bus route. Then we found out that Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia,  had a new girlfriend. And every day we had to listen to Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, tell us about her, what a fine Christian she was, where they went on dates, what verses in the Bible they read on dates, etc. Then Roscoe, who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia,  would ask prayer for his 3 freshman roommates that he would be a good example to them as helped them become acclimated to dorm life at Hyles Anderson College.

You see, Roscoe was a room monitor. At this time, dormitories at HAC were run by a dorm supervisor. A paid staff position. When the supervisor went home at 5 p.m. the Room Monitors took over. The RM was usually an upperclassman who the administration thought they could trust to keep order in a room. The  RM was the eyes and ears of the administration in the dorms. In the early days of HAC RM’s could give demerits.  But this had been so abused that by 1991 all the RM’s could do was report the rules violations the fellows in their rooms committed to the Dorm Supervisors. Some of the RM’s were ok, others allowed the power and title to go to their heads. In other words they were Hackers, and not the good kind. So almost every day Roscoe would ask prayer for these 3 freshman under his care. It was clear that Roscoe was enjoying the position and title of Room Monitor. I didn’t give it a lot of thought. I was glad that Roscoe did not live on my floor. You see, Roscoe lived on Prophets/Malone 3, I lived on Prophets/Malone 2.

On Monday’s, Tuesday’s and Thursday’s at 11p.m. each room in the HAC men’s dormitories had a time of devotion. It was supposed to last 15 minutes, with lights being turned out and everyone going to bed at 12. One night a few minutes before 11 my door burst open and a close friend who lived on Prophets/Malone 3 burst in. He said, “We need you, come upstairs.” I told the 3 men in my room that I was going to be a having devotions in another room and I went upstairs to Malone 3. I was ushered into the large room at the end of the hall, and I found that I had been invited to a de facto floor meeting of Malone 3.

There were 40 guys in the room. It was a somber gathering. There were 3 guys sitting in chairs in the middle of the room. They were almost expressionless. I figured out who the group leader was and asked what was up. And they told me the story. These 3 guys lived in Roscoe’s room. They hated Roscoe. Roscoe turned them in for every rule violation he could think of. Even if they had not broke a rule, he still turned them in because he thought they were breaking a rule. These 3 freshmen were not enjoying their time at Hyles Anderson College. They were miserable. But Roscoe had gone a step further. He had taken it upon himself to be the judge, jury and executioner of the whole floor and in doing so he had made a lot of enemies. So Malone 3 had called a meeting. Under the pretense of floor devotions they had gathered. What are we going to do about Roscoe?

I looked around the room and realized I was the oldest student in the room and the only graduate level student. So I realized that it was my duty to make sure these fellows didn’t do anything stupid. The ideas started being kicked around. Doing him bodily harm was forbidden. Poisoning him was also ruled out. A lot of guys including myself had had food or drink spiked unknowingly over the years and that was just plain wrong. That wasn’t going to happen, especially when I told the gathering that that had just happened on another floor to another guy like Roscoe. That guy had gone to the hospital for a couple days and his parents were looking to press charges. It was made known to these guys that you will not harm his person or his property.

So these guys got creative. They decided to go after the one thing Roscoe was noted for, his hair. The plan was to make him wake up late where he would not have time to iron his clothes and comb his hair before class. They noticed that he went out to the lake every night at 10 p.m. and would return about 10:45. A man was designated to follow him and alert the floor when he left and returned. A man was assigned to detach the backup battery in his alarm clock. Another fellow was assigned the job of flipping the circuit breaker to cut all electricity to Roscoe’s room. This was designed to help Roscoe oversleep and keep him from ironing.

I was safely in my room the night it went down. My buddy who had invited me came down about 11:30. “Well, what did you do?” I asked. With a wide grin he held up a plastic bag that held a brush and 2 combs. “We’ll put it back before chapel,” he said.

I made sure to get to class early the next morning. At 8:03 The main door to Decoster Dining Hall burst open and Roscoe came running through. He burst into class late. His impeccable hair was wet and uncombed and his pants and shirt were horribly wrinkled. The public humiliation they had been hoping for had worked. Roscoe seemed rather preoccupied. Dr. Auclair said to him, “Roscoe, you're late?” “Sorry,” was all he could say. The guys in the class had a little fun asking him if he was going liberal or new evangelical. One asked if he was going to transfer to Liberty and how a fellow who was from the Hyles Baptist Church of Virginia, would go over there.

24 years later. Facebook. Roscoe had married the girl he had been dating. His picture showed that he had not aged a bit. And his hair? Still perfect, with not one out of place.

I think I might know Roscoe. What was his home church?

Tom Brennan said:

<smh>

Tom,

We should have hung out more.

you guys are great story tellers...........if something like that had happened to me I would have left and missed meeting my husband...which my life would have changed forever. Why is it there are always people that ruin it for others..........

Techmedic said:
I remember the first few sermons of JS when South Point first opened and they were good.... But after a couple months some of his sexual ones came out... Now mind you I have thick skin and even I was like woah... I had never heard so much talk about sex in a church before, I remember thinking to myself "This guy is hiding something... wouldn't surprise me if he was messing around". I remember the one Easter service I had invited my parents... and I was nervous about what he was going to say (My mother would have left if he got as graphic as he had gotten in the past).
I almost left South Point because of how much sex talk he did from the pulpit... If I wanted to hear that kind of talk I could just go to a bar, or a frat house, but what I found the most shocking was NOBODY seemed to mind, and were "Amening" it. Then the "Sickness" happened, and he wasn't there for about 2 months before the story came out. I know of several ppl that came and he was on one of his sex sermons and you never saw them again.... If he hadn't been arrested I more than likely would have quit going over to SP I was there for his last "sermon" (The infamous what your parents don't know I think it was called) reflecting on it, it was like his full confession almost like he was rubbing it in someones face.. More than likely that is what he was doing (I speculate that sermon pushed that person over the line and they turned him in). I had never felt uncomfortable in a church before... but there were several times with JS I was.

I should also admit, I did like him... Even though I felt he was fake and hiding something... He just had something about him that drew you in. Whats funny/sad... I have a bible I don't read anymore because he signed it... It's really nice but I just can't stand to read from it... I also don't want to just throw it away... I have asked what is the proper way to dispose of a bible... but I can't find an answer to it, I was told just throw it away IDK why I have an issue doing that, it just seems wrong to put a bible in the trash... I mean you wouldn't just throw a flag in the garbage the proper way is to burn it... There HAS to be some way to dispose of it in a proper way... Anyways I got off subject... as always this is just my 2 cents.

Mail it to Jack Schaap.... he could probably use a Bible about now

Brethren, today I saw the post that Tennessean wrote four years ago about Roscoe.

Late 1976, I had my bachelor's degree and was working on my master's. Suddenly, they rounded up a bunch of us, made us load all our stuff, and they took us to the Balmoral Hotel across the state line.  I noted that all of us were well-behaved students who could be trusted there.

On our second night, we were roused out of bed and ordered to get into the hallway immediately, without getting dressed. A sophomore, wearing full police uniform with a gun strapped to his side, swaggered up and down the hallway, yelling at us and chewing us out about what we would and would not do. He then ordered us back  to bed.

Although I knew of individual cases of students going power crazy when they got a little authority, this one must have come from the top. It was my last year, I had a good job at UPS, the Vineyard's Gangsters scandal was over, and I decided to stay.  But I could see that the craziness was getting worse.

Over the years, I have seen on different FFFs that the craziness did indeed get worse.

Vince Massi said:
Brethren, today I saw the post that Tennessean wrote four years ago about Roscoe.

On our second night, we were roused out of bed and ordered to get into the hallway immediately, without getting dressed. A sophomore, wearing full police uniform with a gun strapped to his side,

So the gun's name was Roscoe?

Blast it, Twisted, look what you've done!

Now I'll lie awake all night wondering if the sophomore gave the gun a name.

Vince Massi said:
Blast it, Twisted, look what you've done!

Now I'll lie awake all night wondering if the sophomore gave the gun a name.
You and Twisted must be in the same ward, different cells.

16KJV11 said:
You and Twisted must be in the same ward, different cells.

Only if they had us both on the same floor of the Balmoral Hotel.

I've always wanted to ask Faith if she knew about Bill I don't think she knew anything.............I always wanted to know why the girl was taken home and he was still in employed..........
Can you reach out to me? I have some questions regarding this that I’m not comfortable posting.

I confess that I have not read every post in this thread, not to mention many others on this forum. But the title of the thread made me think of something.

Wasn't there a tunnel that ran underneath the new chapel? I don't believe that I ever went in it. However there was a rumor that someone whose photo can be found on the school's website today as a faculty member, while a student in the 70's, was caught in that tunnel making out with a girl? That was the kind of thing that got others expelled (I remember one such case distinctly) but this particular event (with a "high profile" student) was rather swept under the rug with no appreciable punishment. Does anyone else remember this?

Late 1976, I had my bachelor's degree and was working on my master's. Suddenly, they rounded up a bunch of us, made us load all our stuff, and they took us to the Balmoral Hotel across the state line. I noted that all of us were well-behaved students who could be trusted there.

On our second night, we were roused out of bed and ordered to get into the hallway immediately, without getting dressed. A sophomore, wearing full police uniform with a gun strapped to his side, swaggered up and down the hallway, yelling at us and chewing us out about what we would and would not do. He then ordered us back to bed.

Although I knew of individual cases of students going power crazy when they got a little authority, this one must have come from the top. It was my last year, I had a good job at UPS, the Vineyard's Gangsters scandal was over, and I decided to stay. But I could see that the craziness was getting worse.

Over the years, I have seen on different FFFs that the craziness did indeed get worse.

Vince, if you see this, please give us a name....or initials.

I was at Balmoral in 76-77. Were you on Larry Allen’s or Steve Hazel’s floor? I don’t remember that incident but I don’t remember a lot from fifty years ago.

My first real memory related to Balmoral is how depressed we were watching the 1976 election returns in the television room when Jimmy Carter was elected.

Can anyone relay the details of the Randy Dignan incident? I have heard it alluded to, but it's one of the stories I have not heard.