Tales from the Tunnels

qwerty said:
If Jerry didn't live in the past, he would have no life....

He does think a little highly of himself, doesn't he?

Baptist City Holdout said:
Fun1 said:
  Hello, my name is Fun1 and I AM a Hacker.

Hello, Fun1. That admission of being a HACker is the first step on your road to recovery!

Who wants to recover?

patriotic said:
Fun1 said:

Hello, Fun1. That admission of being a HACker is the first step on your road to recovery!

Who wants to recover?

Poor patriotic, she is still wearing her nylons in every daily activity and singing "Precious Locks."  Bless her little heart.  :p

Binaca Chugger said:
patriotic said:
Fun1 said:

Who wants to recover?

Poor patriotic, she is still wearing her nylons in every daily activity and singing "Precious Locks."  Bless her little heart.  :p

I had forgotten that song.  Would you refresh my memory and post all the lyrics since you're such a good Hacker yourself.  ;)

patriotic said:
Binaca Chugger said:
patriotic said:
Fun1 said:

Who wants to recover?

I had forgotten that song.  Would you refresh my memory and post all the lyrics since you're such a good Hacker yourself.  ;)

Sorry.  I didn't get to attend the "Ladies" Meeting.  Something about "Precious Locks, Precious Locks,...."  and then something about staring at books and locks and then ending with "Boopsie Woopsies hair."

The Professor With Chutzpa

One day while riding with a famous evangelist he made the following statement to me, “The graduate of Hyles Anderson is a maverick. He is different form other graduates. No two are identical.” That certainly is a true statement. Because there certainly was no professor at Hyles Anderson College like Dr. William Grady.

Bill Grady came to Hyles Anderson in the 1970’s. A converted Roman Catholic, Bro. Grady had had a successful career in the airline industry before the Lord called him to preach. At Hyles Anderson he distinguished himself as a student who had a bright future in the ministry. He worked at one of the steel mills, and led many of his co-workers to Christ. He caught the attention of the administration who recognized that this was a man of deep thought and fearless courage. The administration considered hiring him to teach at the time but for some reason it never worked out.

Bro. Grady went to Idaho and started a church. From his testimony the church had it’s ups and downs but the Lord blessed his ministry there.

In 1986 Hyles Anderson College hired Bro. Grady to teach Bible and church history. I personally liked Bro. Grady. His classes were entertaining and made you think. As a former pastor and student he had knowledge of what the married students were going through and what a pastor would go through at a church. But he had never taught in college before. Such things as grading, making up tests, giving tests and ending your class when the bell rang were foreign to him. Like many of us he had a lot to learn.

Bro. Grady immediately made his mark and made a name for himself far and wide. And let me say I think he had a sincere heart and he was misunderstood by a lot of hackers. In his first chapel speaking appearance he made a joke about flatulation and then he made the statement, “When I was a student I joined the Fisherman Club.” There was a loud chorus of Amen’s. He continued, “But then I got right with God and joined the Bus Ministry.” The whole place erupted. Hackers were standing on pews and waving their Bibles. After the service Bro. Grady was met at his office by George Godfrey, the father of the Fisherman’s Club. Godfrey ripped into Grady for putting down Fisherman’s Club.

The legend grew from there.  Bill Grady stepped on everyone’s toes. And a lot of times he was simply misunderstood. He loved the word chutzpa. Said we as preachers needed to get it. In his classroom teaching he criticized what he called “Buckwheat soul winning.” He said a pastor and church needed to go soul winning in white middle class neighborhoods not just poor neighborhoods. He was misunderstood and that made a lot of bus ministry people like Roger Casteel and his boys mad at him. He would tell a story in class and some half-asleep hacker would think he was criticizing his home pastor so he would go tell Dr. Evans. Bro. Grady began to call his critics “Doegs” after the Edomite in I Samuel that served Saul.

But what really put him on the map was a chapel sermon entitled, “The Devil’s Pool Party.” Early in the spring semester of 1988 Bill Grady preached in chapel and called the sermon, “The Devil’s Pool Party.” The sermon described how fundamentalism was being infiltrated by liberals. And the sermon depicted a large gathering of liberals and liberal fundamentalists gathering at a pool to have a party. Then he started naming names. He named the usual’s like Macarthur and Swindoll and then ripped into men like Jerry Falwell.

The Amens were flowing. The hackers were screaming. The crowd was pumped. But then he started preaching about hidden liberals at Hyles Anderson College. And the culprits were students who lived in the college dorms. Bro. Grady, who by his own testimony had never stepped foot in any HAC dormitory, started blaming all the compromising at the college on dorm students. He likened us to cockroaches. He said that at 5 pm when all the off campus students and staff had gone home that the evil cockroaches from the dorms came slithering out. By what we wore and what we listened to etc. etc. we were cockroaches and leading to the decline of fundamentalism.

Then he grabbed a can of Raid and walked all over the platform spraying it. Said he was killing cockroachess. Then he went off on California. Said all the liberalism and all liberal trends came from California. California students had brought all this compromise with them. Well that set off a firestorm. A lot of students came from California. After the sermon, students called home. Pastor’s were upset. Pastor's called Hyles Anderson complaining. Damage control was needed.

2 days later Dr. Evans preached in chapel. He smoothed everything over. He said California churches were good churches. He said California students were some of the best bus workers FBC had. He said that staff members and faculty members from California were some of the best HAC had, etc. etc. I guess it smoothed things over because churches and pastors from California kept sending their students to HAC.

To this day the school will not release the sermon Bro Grady preached or the apology by Dr. Evans. If you have a copy of the Pool Party you got it from a bootlegged source.

There are more stories to be told about the legend of Bill Grady. He was quite a guy and Hyles Anderson will probably never have another professor like him. Say what you will, he had chutzpa.

I remember while Stansel and his cronies were taking name plates off doors and a couple of the signs with names at the parking spots outside. He was preaching in chapel and said something like. "Someone stole my parking sign trying to make me think I was fired. You pull that crap at Purdue! You don't do that to a man of God."

We got a good laugh at his way of putting things.

I had Grady for back to back classes one time. He taught the first hour without XYZ before hand. Needless to say, it was an hour of the usual Grady, walking around the class, teaching from the table top (was in the dining hall), putting one leg on a chair, etc. It was quite a scene man...  I left a note on the lectern between classes to let him know to inform him of his error.

Before the next class, he walks in, reads the note, walks out and all you hear is a scream. He comes back with everything secured and proceeds to tell the second hour about the mistakes made during the first hour. He was a riot.

When Grady walked into his class there was usually about half a dozens bottles of juice that students would bring for him. He walked in one day and there wasn't a single bottle. He went on for about 5 minutes about appreciationg him and bringing him juice. The next day I brought a quart bottle and put it in a brown paper  bag and put it up there with all the little bottles. He tore the bag off and found I had brought him prune juice!

BALAAM said:
When Grady walked into his class there was usually about half a dozens bottles of juice that students would bring for him. He walked in one day and there wasn't a single bottle. He went on for about 5 minutes about appreciationg him and bringing him juice. The next day I brought a quart bottle and put it in a brown paper  bag and put it up there with all the little bottles. He tore the bag off and found I had brought him prune juice!
Wish I woulda thought of that!

That was perfect.

qwerty said:
I had Grady for back to back classes one time. He taught the first hour without XYZ before hand. Needless to say, it was an hour of the usual Grady, walking around the class, teaching from the table top (was in the dining hall), putting one leg on a chair, etc. It was quite a scene man...  I left a note on the lectern between classes to let him know to inform him of his error.

Before the next class, he walks in, reads the note, walks out and all you hear is a scream. He comes back with everything secured and proceeds to tell the second hour about the mistakes made during the first hour. He was a riot.

Classic!  :)

In Grady's Pastoral Epistles (an excellent class, BTW) he walked in one day to find no juice. He proceeded to bemoan the situation and assert that his great faith in us a class was ruined. In mid rant I raised my hand as if to ask a question. He called on me. I said, 'Bro. Grady, what is the difference between faith and presumption?'

It took him a minute...

:D

A recent HAC chapel photo showing the invitation/altar call after a Ray Young chapel message sure brought back some memories.

Anyone who has attended Hyles Anderson College in the last 35 years is probably well acquainted with Ray Young. Either as a student, bus director, Assistant pastor, Teacher, Vice President, or President Ray young has played an integral part in the history of Hyles Anderson College. Arriving in the early days of HAC as a transfer student from a small Bible college in LA, Ray Young quickly distinguished himself as a tireless worker. In his words, he got in line. As a student he set a work ethic that is legend today. He took a full load of classes, worked a full time job and worked in the bus ministry. He viewed his bus route as a full time job and worked tirelessly at it. (btw, I wish a lot of Christians would take what they do for Christ as seriously as Ray Young does)

It wasn’t long before his hard work caught the eye of the bus director, Bro. Vineyard and then Bro. Hyles. As a student he was hired to work on the full-time staff of Bro. Hyles at FBC. After a short period of time he had been made the director of the Chicago bus routes , called the “B,C & D” bus ministry. Bro. Hyles trusted and relied on Ray Young over the years like he did no other staff member. Not only did RY oversee the bus ministry, he organized the B,C & D Sunday school, he taught classes at the college and did everything else that needed to be done.

Those of us who came to HAC in the mid to late 80’s found a BC & D bus ministry that was incredibly methodical, planned, and organized in every detail to the Nth degree. Ray Young was the consummate organizer and planner. No detail was left to chance. The major projects at Pastor’s School were given to RY and he did them well.

He was also a very good preacher. He could preach with passion and fire and was a great motivator and most of his sermons ended with altars crammed full of young people in prayer.

But like all of us there are a few funny stories in the story of the legend that is Ray Young.

In the early 80’s I heard a preacher once remark, “No one had as many bus ministry promotions go bad as Ray Young.”

The biggest bus ministry promotion every year was carnival Sunday. The busses pick up the kids, go to church, then go to an amusement park. It was well known and the workers worked hard and it was fun for the kids. Every carnival Sunday had it’s own story. On one of the first carnival Sunday’s RY used the promotion that every rider would get a picnic lunch. FBC was always promoting the world’s largest this and that. I don’t know if this was billed as the world’s largest picnic or the world’s largest sack lunch but every rider who came got a sack lunch. The plan was for RY to stand and preach on a platform at the carnival while lunches were being handed out. It was a great plan in theory. Grateful young bus kids would eat a delicious prepared sack lunch while RY preached to them.

But as it often happens with our best laid plans, they go awry. The person who planned what to put in the lunches thought that these should be healthy meals that included fruit. So, every lunch contained an apple. I don’t know why, but as RY stood on the platform to preach, the children all threw their apples at him. From then on, bus kids had to bring their own lunches.

Next time, baby chick Sunday.  ;)

Tennessean said:
A recent HAC chapel photo showing the invitation/altar call after a Ray Young chapel message sure brought back some memories.

Anyone who has attended Hyles Anderson College in the last 35 years is probably well acquainted with Ray Young. Either as a student, bus director, Assistant pastor, Teacher, Vice President, or President Ray young has played an integral part in the history of Hyles Anderson College. Arriving in the early days of HAC as a transfer student from a small Bible college in LA, Ray Young quickly distinguished himself as a tireless worker. In his words, he got in line. As a student he set a work ethic that is legend today. He took a full load of classes, worked a full time job and worked in the bus ministry. He viewed his bus route as a full time job and worked tirelessly at it. (btw, I wish a lot of Christians would take what they do for Christ as seriously as Ray Young does)

It wasn’t long before his hard work caught the eye of the bus director, Bro. Vineyard and then Bro. Hyles. As a student he was hired to work on the full-time staff of Bro. Hyles at FBC. After a short period of time he had been made the director of the Chicago bus routes , called the “B,C & D” bus ministry. Bro. Hyles trusted and relied on Ray Young over the years like he did no other staff member. Not only did RY oversee the bus ministry, he organized the B,C & D Sunday school, he taught classes at the college and did everything else that needed to be done.

Those of us who came to HAC in the mid to late 80’s found a BC & D bus ministry that was incredibly methodical, planned, and organized in every detail to the Nth degree. Ray Young was the consummate organizer and planner. No detail was left to chance. The major projects at Pastor’s School were given to RY and he did them well.

He was also a very good preacher. He could preach with passion and fire and was a great motivator and most of his sermons ended with altars crammed full of young people in prayer.

Wow Ray, that was very nice.

Tennessean said:

While I agree with your evaluation of Ray Young, I have never been a fan.  Ray Young has the problem that many men of his personality style have.  They work a certain number of hours at a certain level of intensity and they expect everyone else to do the same. 

"I haven't spent 2 straight hours with my wife in the past month."  "I was so busy that I forgot to eat."  "I have averaged 4 hours of sleep per night in the past 3 weeks."  "I don't leave my bus route until 10:00pm."  If you do anything less you are a slacker and a deadbeat.

Ray Young also presided over bus division leaders that regularly criticized other ministries.  He fanned a flame of arrogance with division leaders and bus captains.

I did enjoy your post and I know it was about the story and not necessarily the man, but after reading your evaluation I decided to put in my two cents.   

RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:

While I agree with your evaluation of Ray Young, I have never been a fan.  Ray Young has the problem that many men of his personality style have.  They work a certain number of hours at a certain level of intensity and they expect everyone else to do the same. 

"I haven't spent 2 straight hours with my wife in the past month."  "I was so busy that I forgot to eat."  "I have averaged 4 hours of sleep per night in the past 3 weeks."  "I don't leave my bus route until 10:00pm."  If you do anything less you are a slacker and a deadbeat.

Ray Young also presided over bus division leaders that regularly criticized other ministries.  He fanned a flame of arrogance with division leaders and bus captains.

I did enjoy your post and I know it was about the story and not necessarily the man, but after reading your evaluation I decided to put in my two cents. 

Thank you for the follow up Raider. Just to explain, As with anyone there are things to like and dislike. I just wrote some of his better qualities into yhe story.

Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:

Thank you for the follow up Raider. Just to explain, As with anyone there are things to like and dislike. I just wrote some of his better qualities into the story.

Ray Young is a puzzle to me.  He has all ways been kind to me personally.  At the end of Jack's craziness, he seemed like he was not buying what Jack was selling.  (unlike Eddie)  But on to the story!  :D

On one Sunday Jack Hyles preached a sermon that I think was called "The Language of Ashdod."  It was a humdinger.  He ranted and railed against any form of bad language or any hint of it.  At the end of the sermon, the invitation was given and the men from the platform stood at the front as they always did.  Ray Young walks over to Eddie and quietly says to him "D_mn,  I guess I can't cuss any more."  Eddie about busted a gut laughing about it and telling us about it. 

Timotheus said:
Tennessean said:
RAIDER said:
Tennessean said:

Thank you for the follow up Raider. Just to explain, As with anyone there are things to like and dislike. I just wrote some of his better qualities into the story.

Ray Young is a puzzle to me.  He has all ways been kind to me personally.  At the end of Jack's craziness, he seemed like he was not buying what Jack was selling.  (unlike Eddie)  But on to the story!  :D

On one Sunday Jack Hyles preached a sermon that I think was called "The Language of Ashdod."  It was a humdinger.  He ranted and railed against any form of bad language or any hint of it.  At the end of the sermon, the invitation was given and the men from the platform stood at the front as they always did.  Ray Young walks over to Eddie and quietly says to him "D_mn,  I guess I can't cuss any more."  Eddie about busted a gut laughing about it and telling us about it.
About the sermon subject, which I agree with, I was shown a thank you card that one of the staff members mentioned above received from Jackie-boy H. On the outside it said, "Thank you, you saved my...." On the inside it had a pic of a jumping donkey...... I don't think it meant "jumping-donkey.