Real HAC Numbers

Jo said:
Tell me why you think the numbers were so important.

Sent from my KFSOWI using Tapatalk

I believe that there may have been legitimate reasons for wanting to increase attendance and that got them going into who was the biggest. That has not subsided as far as I can tell. The push to be the biggest was largely responsible for most of the outrageous things we did at FBCH.

In the 90s when it got to be difficult to continue to claim we were the biggest we went to such gimmicks as having the most baptisms.

bgwilkinson said:
Jo said:
Tell me why you think the numbers were so important.

I believe that there may have been legitimate reasons for wanting to increase attendance and that got them going into who was the biggest. That has not subsided as far as I can tell. The push to be the biggest was largely responsible for most of the outrageous things we did at FBCH.

In the 90s when it got to be difficult to continue to claim we were the biggest we went to such gimmicks as having the most baptisms.

What were the legitimate reasons? 

I understand we were trying to save the world, but you would think if we were going to do that, there would be other methods used.  The only reason I can think of is pride.  We wanted to have the biggest, brightest church in the world, and there I was in the midst of it, just trying to get an education and figure out my future steps.

Another reason why numbers were important:

Large numbers can be used to justify sin.  The Dave Hyles and Jim Vineyard scandals can be defended because they got the numbers up. Lying, covering up sin, and slandering those who opposed sin can all be justified by numbers. We were strongly taught that our numbers proved that God was blessing us.

As the numbers fell, the church didn't repent and seek God's Face. They used gimmicks to keep the numbers up, but those only slowed the decline.

Vince Massi said:

Large numbers can be used to justify sin.  The Dave Hyles and Jim Vineyard scandals can be defended because they got the numbers up. Lying, covering up sin, and slandering those who opposed sin can all be justified by numbers. We were strongly taught that our numbers proved that God was blessing us.

As the numbers fell, the church didn't repent and seek God's Face. They used gimmicks to keep the numbers up, but those only slowed the decline.

Well, they're just doing what Ruckmanites do.

There was an extensive discussion on the old FFF about the attendance numbers when Jack Hyles died. One fellow even contacted the person who wrote Jack's obituary. The consensus was that FBCH was running less than 6,000 at the time.

HAC opened when FBCH had more than 8,000. We're talking about a decrease of more than 2,000. But when Jack died, he had hundreds of HAC students and thousands of their bus kids. In other words, local attendance had really plummeted.

Vince Massi said:
HAC opened when FBCH had more than 8,000. We're talking about a decrease of more than 2,000. But when Jack died, he had hundreds of HAC students and thousands of their bus kids. In other words, local attendance had really plummeted.

Does anybody really care?  I sure don't.

Vince Massi said:
There was an extensive discussion on the old FFF about the attendance numbers when Jack Hyles died. One fellow even contacted the person who wrote Jack's obituary. The consensus was that FBCH was running less than 6,000 at the time.

Don't forget a there were a large number of HAC students who became locals.  6,000 may have been summer numbers but bus kids alone were very high at the time of his death and while maybe not packed and jammed with "locals" they sure flowed back in for a time after he died.  The exodus's during the time of Hyles' troubles were no where near the exodus' after the Moron-in-law was exposed.

What was the Jim Vineyard scandal?

Twisted said:
Vince Massi said:

Well, they're just doing what Ruckmanites do.

For some reason I have a 1975 Caber.  I counted those with names and photos in the year book.  There were 990.

RAIDER said:
For some reason I have a 1975 Caber.  I counted those with names and photos in the year book.  There were 990.
You stinkin HACker.........it's always about the numbers...... ::)

fishinnut said:
RAIDER said:
You stinkin HACker.........it's always about the numbers...... ::)

Look at the title of this thread.  :)

Baptist City Holdout said:
RAIDER said:

990 names and 990 photos... That makes something like 23,692 enrolled!!!!!!

Evangelistically speaking, that is.

RAIDER said:

I also have a copy of the 1977 Caber.  I counted those with names and photos in the year book.  There were 1229.

RAIDER said:
RAIDER said:

I also have a copy of the 1977 Caber.  I counted those with names and photos in the year book.  There were 1229.

Oh, how the mighty have fallen.

I looked up some enrollment figures of some other colleges and universities - secular, accredited institutions - and their "TOTAL ENROLLMENT" figures seem to include both FULL-time and PART-time students. 

Perhaps, that's just the way it's done. 

patriotic said:
I looked up some enrollment figures of some other colleges and universities - secular, accredited institutions - and their "TOTAL ENROLLMENT" figures seem to include both FULL-time and PART-time students. 

HAC also includes those who drive by the campus.