Jobs While You Were in College:

Starlifter

Elect
Reaction score
Why not start a thread discussing jobs you had while in Bible college?
As in all threads inspired by HAC, and RAIDER, it's all about the numbers.
One job per post please!

Even though I had enough money saved that I didn't need a job right away, I was shamed into getting a job or be labeled a slug and a few other choice names, so here is my tale:
My first job when I got to HAC was working for UPS. As described in the Phil Sallie thread, the pay was average, but I only worked 13 to 15 hours a week.
It was in Orland Park Illinois.
I started as a loader/unloader and was able to move up to sorter.
I had to memorize every zip code in the country and its associated conveyor belt.
I absolutely despised the job b/c those packages would come screaming down the conveyor belt and you had to instantly discern what specific conveyor belt was to go on. (then get sent to a truck going to wherever)
Some of the packages were huge, or they were like steel ball bearings that weighed 50 pounds,
And being 'vertically challenged', lifting them to the top conveyor belt was very difficult.
I made such paltry wages that sacrificing my time and body for that job was an exercise in futility.
I made Phil Sallie so upset when I quit the job only after a month.
Oh well...

My next job lasted about 6 months and I worked for Balemaster in Crown Point as an electrical assembler.
I shaped and installed piping, giant electric engines, electric eyes, pushed wires, all for $7 an hour. Signed a petition to bring in a union and got canned 1 week later. Hated that job.

While at Liberty I worked at a meat packing plant.
Because I had no skill as a ‘meat cutter’ I did the grunt work.
Cleaning up the mess on the ‘kill floor’ was the absolute worst!

I'm sorry, my last post was "evangelistically speaking". Now I'm telling the truth.

I worked as an electronic tech repairing consumer electronics.

never attended hyles anderson - or any fundamental baptist college....
....but before.... during... and for a while after the time i attended -

UH.jpeg
i worked as a barista at .......

starbuckslogo.jpeg

in fact... i was still attending the university of hawaii and working at
starbucks
when i first joined the old fff..... :cool:

Last edited:
I attended a state university as well.
Summers on the grounds crew at Lake Paradise campground, and a short stint at McDonald's.

I worked in the kitchen at HAC, cleaned pots and pans, and later worked in one of the offices on campus. Most of the time, I was just a stinkin' HACKer.

Last edited:
My third job was repairing cash registers at Jacobson's Office Equipment in Merrillville, IN. I worked there for about 1 month as they were sending me places where cash registers were, of course.
And, they tended often to be in places where I didn't want to be, so, I resigned! It only paid $7.50 an hour, so I wasn't too upset anyway.

While at Liberty I worked at a meat packing plant.
Because I had no skill as a ‘meat cutter’ I did the grunt work.
Cleaning up the mess on the ‘kill floor’ was the absolute worst!
See that janitorial skill at TH came in handy

I cleaned bathrooms and classrooms. Then mopped the hallways where I met my husband who walked on my floors.
I worked on Bucket and Bows loved it. I'm not afraid to clean bathrooms today.........
It might sound weird but I have found there is something edifying about scrubbing toilets. I actually feel like I'm ministering to others by leaving a clean toilet that someone can be comfortable using. I had a toilet scrubbing job once where one of the bathrooms I was assigned was the college president's. Because it was a personal bathroom I took an extra few minutes to make sure all the surfaces were not only cleaned but dry; as in no water spots. I heard through the grapevine that the president mentioned that she was very happy with how I was leaving her bathroom.

It might sound weird but I have found there is something edifying about scrubbing toilets. I actually feel like I'm ministering to others by leaving a clean toilet that someone can be comfortable using. I had a toilet scrubbing job once where one of the bathrooms I was assigned was the college president's. Because it was a personal bathroom I took an extra few minutes to make sure all the surfaces were not only cleaned but dry; as in no water spots. I heard through the grapevine that the president mentioned that she was very happy with how I was leaving her bathroom.
Sorry, but that reminded me of this scene in Full Metal Jacket...

Warning: language, irreverence, and possibly sacrilege?

http s://youtu.be/gYxEIyNA_mk?si=GruVBE-tEfdw0Mi2 (close the gap)

Sorry, but that reminded me of this scene in Full Metal Jacket...

Warning: language, irreverence, and possibly sacrilege?

http s://youtu.be/gYxEIyNA_mk?si=GruVBE-tEfdw0Mi2 (close the gap)
That was not my intention.

I worked for the Union Tank Car Company in East Chicago, welding railroad tank cars. Those things have a long shelf life and for years afterwards when I would be stopped at railroad crossing for a train to clear, I would always note which tank cars were marked with "UTLX" and wonder if I might have had a part in their manufacture.

The job paid really well, but I have no idea what the pay was in the late seventies and early eighties. Some of my co-workers there were Keith Gomez, Alan Stewart, Jim Kurtz, Mike Stombaugh, Jim Pidkaminy, John Beddingfield, Ernie Salmon and Jerry Averrill. Pretty good guys and we became a pretty close knit bunch. All the non HACers who worked there thought we were strange, but we had a good reputation for getting the work done.

Part of the time there I worked the 11pm to 7am shift. I was a walking zombie. I never felt rested. Between work, school and ministry, I was totally tanked about 80% of the time. It was the only time in my life I had to do that. I don't know how those who do it regularly are able to do so.