Jobs While You Were in College:

of course... working at starbucks wasn;t my only job i had while in college.... i was
also still working on what could be described as my first job ever.... (paying job that is)
going with my dad and working with him whenever a diving job came up for him - to serve
as one of his assistants (or tenders)... checking gear and helping him get into all the suits
and gear required for the job., ..

that included anything and everything from simple scuba gear to old fashioned mk 5

gear and also newer mk 21 set ups... ... ....after the basic scuba set up the next on i
learned to assists with was the mark 5 ..... and in fact i watched this very same video
shown below on vhs tape before actually handling the gear and learning to set it up
through on the job training..... .

i started doing this in my early teens.... and continued with him even after college . (and

also after being fired from starbucks).... all the way up until he retired from commercial
diving.... .....since that time he still takes jobs with the dive company now and then assisting
to supervise dive operations... and i have gone with him on those as well to serve as a second
set of eyes watching gauges and monitoring gas pressures depths and any changes etc....:cool: .

Last edited:
It might sound weird but I have found there is something edifying about scrubbing toilets. I actually feel like I'm ministering to others by leaving a clean toilet that someone can be comfortable using. I had a toilet scrubbing job once where one of the bathrooms I was assigned was the college president's. Because it was a personal bathroom I took an extra few minutes to make sure all the surfaces were not only cleaned but dry; as in no water spots. I heard through the grapevine that the president mentioned that she was very happy with how I was leaving her bathroom.
one of the tasks involved with cleaning and refitting/restocking a dive decompression chamber is handling whatever waste - both material and biological - that the divers might have generated during their stay in the chamber.... .. there is no bathroom in there and no traditional toilets.... but they do have a bucket fitted with a plastic seat... and they are supposed to carry it out of there themselves and empty it when they leave the chamber... .... but sometimes they don;t.... .or claim they forgot........ and it;s left for me to deal with....... ..i have experienced various emotions / feelings... urges to barf now and then coming over me throughout the process.... . ... but i can;t say the feeling of edification ever came over me.... :confused:...

but even when that bucket is properly disposed of by the divers the smell in that chamber after a decompression session can still be pretty wretched.... . it can smell like a combination of locker rooms after a football game... stale dead marine life... a bus station mens room.... (don;t ask me how i know what that one smells like).... stale cigar smoke.... (if they broke the rules and smoked in there - which they sometimes do) .. and of course barf if one of them got sick and didn;t make it to the bucket before blowing chunks... ..cleaning that up is never pleasant .. . but it does add to the fee i negotiate with the captain for... ... the worse condition the chamber is in the more money i make....... ..... but either way i always leave it sparkling clean - restocked and smelling like bleach regardless of what the pay is.... :cool:

I worked for a couple of months refurbishing mailing machines for Indiana Mailing Systems for a whopping 7.50 an hour!
IMS was one of the few competitors for Pitney Bowes in that technology.

of course... working at starbucks wasn;t my only job i had while in college.... i was
also still working on what could be described as my first job ever.... (paying job that is)
going with my dad and working with him whenever a diving job came up for him - to serve
as one of his assistants (or tenders)... checking gear and helping him get into all the suits
and gear required for the job., ..

that included anything and everything from simple scuba gear to old fashioned mk 5

gear and also newer mk 21 set ups... ... ....after the basic scuba set up the next on i
learned to assists with was the mark 5 ..... and in fact i watched this very same video
shown below on vhs tape before actually handling the gear and learning to set it up
through on the job training..... .

i started doing this in my early teens.... and continued with him even after college . (and

also after being fired from starbucks).... all the way up until he retired from commercial
diving.... .....since that time he still takes jobs with the dive company now and then assisting
to supervise dive operations... and i have gone with him on those as well to serve as a second
set of eyes watching gauges and monitoring gas pressures depths and any changes etc....:cool: .

It takes a man's man to wear that suit and to use it!

I've heard of pressures at depth putting creases in the suit that sometimes pinched the driver's skin causing blood blisters. 😖

never attended hyles anderson - or any fundamental baptist college....
....but before.... during... and for a while after the time i attended -

View attachment 5789
i worked as a barista at .......

View attachment 5785

in fact... i was still attending the university of hawaii and working at
starbucks
when i first joined the old fff..... :cool:
I tell you what, if I ever became a novelist or script writer, the stories of you and your family would be inspiration for so many cool stories!

Right now I am thinking of something along the lines of a female version of "The Equalizer" where our heroine works at starbucks but little does anyone know her "real" story and why it would be a good idea never to mess with her! I would call the movie....

Wait for it...

The Barista!

You think it would sell???

I tell you what, if I ever became a novelist or script writer, the stories of you and your family would be inspiration for so many cool stories!

Right now I am thinking of something along the lines of a female version of "The Equalizer" where our heroine works at starbucks but little does anyone know her "real" story and why it would be a good idea never to mess with her! I would call the movie....

Wait for it...

The Barista!

LOL. It would be kinda like The Bricklayer and The Beekeeper.

I installed cell phones into cars back when they were hardwired in at Cellular One in Chicago Heights for $8 and hour.
We had to find a flat space to install the CPU. Tried to find a power supply on a Jaguar one time with a power tester on the fuse box. Blew out the computer and there was a tow truck trip to the dealer. Didn't last too long at that job! :ROFLMAO:

I installed cell phones into cars back when they were hardwired in at Cellular One in Chicago Heights for $8 and hour.
We had to find a flat space to install the CPU. Tried to find a power supply on a Jaguar one time with a power tester on the fuse box. Blew out the computer and there was a tow truck trip to the dealer. Didn't last too long at that job! :ROFLMAO:
As an interesting addition to this story, I was canned from this job a full 2 weeks before I was to be married!
We were going to have to live on love!
But God in His mercy literally came through like the proverbial Calvary coming in at the last minute.
I grew up Catholic, and my mother asked a German woman living in her New York City apartment building to be my Godmother and she accepted.
All throughout my life, she would graciously send me $500 here and $500 there.
Well, Tante Martha, as we called her, moved back to Germany,
And I would not think of not inviting her to the wedding.
She was 80 years old and nobody thought she would make the trip from Wuppertal, Germany, all the way to Nowhere'sville Ohio for the wedding,
But lo and behold, she hopped on a plane and ended up in Cleveland, OH, totally unannounced.
She called my mother and asked if she could pick her up and bring her to Pittsburgh.
Mom called me and was totally furious!
How could you invite this woman, you better figure out a place to keep her.
The wedding was being held at my father-in-law's Christian camp and it was very rugged and the accommodations were spartan at best.
I asked my mom if she wouldn't mind keeping her for a few days until after the wedding.
She very hesitatingly did so and in her Sicilian way brought the full weight of her guilt tripping personality to bear on me.
Not only that, Tante Martha brought with her an unwelcome guest, some kind of European Bubonic plague and got several of my family sick!
Well, they brought her on the three hour trip from Pittsburgh to Vinton, OH, for the wedding and Tante Martha was so proud and overjoyed to see us.
The wedding went off without a hitch, but the joy of getting married was dampened by the fact:
I had No Job, (I'm never broke, but I definitely was not rolling in dough)..., and I hated to go back to Hyles Anderson College without employment!
So, after the wedding, we began opening up the cards and gifts, and there was a card from Tante Martha, containing a gift of $10,000 dollars.
I was absolutely stunned to say the least.
When I told that to my mom, all griping stopped.
That money literally came out of the sky, completely unexpected.
That $10,000 certainly enabled us to make it through my last 2 years of college.
That's how God's provision has been throughout my life!
Praise the Lord!

It takes a man's man to wear that suit and to use it!

I've heard of pressures at depth putting creases in the suit that sometimes pinched the driver's skin causing blood blisters. 😖
he still has one of the old canvas/rubber lined mk 5 suits that the company he worked for decertified and retired around the same time he retired..... no helmet though... just the suit.... and it;s still hanging in the back of our storage locker... he kept it for sentimental reasons... .. .....i looked at it and i can;t tell where the damage was that made it not safe to use anymore... . but the company found something on routine inspection of it and would have shredded it like they did with other damaged suits but my dad asked them if he could have it and they gave it to him.....

even without a helmet on it that suit can look pretty scary hanging in that locker - especially if it;s dark in there.... in fact it was the inspiration for a spoof/sockpuppet my dad created on the old forum called empty-dive-suit.... it read like part of the christmas carol by charles dickens where scrooge meets the ghost of marley..... it was hilarious and everybody knew it was my dad writing it.... ..all meant for humor..... . very different from the type and manner of sockpuppets that haunt the forum today....

Wait for it...

The Barista!

Complete with gratuitous violence but in a gracious way.

We'd have our own female version of Denzel Washington!

Seriously, I think you're on to something.
welllll.......:unsure: ... starbucks might have a few objections.... . i don;t know if you remember or were active on the forum when it happened ... but i got fired from that job... and was banned from all but 3 starbucks on the island that some of my friends worked at back then.... and thanks to starbucks closing so many of it;s stores here there is only one i can go to now and it;s on the first floor of the building we live in at the entrance.... . ..and since it;s connected by another door to our main lobby - if i happen to go down there while doing work here at home i am usually wearing just a long triple xl t-shirt and a dora the explorer croc slippers.... ..i usually just dash in there grab my order and run back out again to come back upstairs..... :coffee:

plus the violence - movements and living arangements of my character would have to be greatly altered if anyone was to believe it was based on me.... . i can;t have a drivers license... am prohibited from all access and ownership of firearms... am on a ton of medications ... still have major problems with schizophrenia plus still go to counselling and therapy at least twice a month and sometimes more.... ....and there is that being only 4 ft 10 thing.... . denzel is a pretty big guy.... (at least he looks big to me)..... . totally believable as someone who could give you a bad day if you tried to mess up his...... ..

i don;t know.... maybe all that would add to the mystery and shock when the real me was revealed..... but i tend to think it would make a better comedy than an action adventure story.... :p

Wait for it...

The Barista!

come to think of it..... you might be a better inspiration for a story like that than i would be.... .. you served in the navy... ...you are a world traveller... . you studied scripture and theology at a seminary ... trained as a minister and preacher... you play the guitar ..use to play in bars but now play music in churches.. ..... if you also sing to the songs you play we could build that crime fighter in the shadows around you - and call you..... The Bard!.... .....

i don;t know.... but to me messing around with someone and having to answer to the bard..🎸.. . sounds a lot more ominous than getting a visit from the barista.... :coffee:. ..:sneaky: ....;)

Last edited:
come to think of it..... you might be a better inspiration for a story like that than i would be.... .. you served in the navy... ...you are a world traveller... . you studied scripture and theology at a seminary ... trained as a minister and preacher... you play the guitar ..use to play in bars but now play music in churches.. ..... if you also sing to the songs you play we could build that crime fighter in the shadows around you - and call you..... The Bard!.... .....

i don;t know.... but to me messing around with someone and having to answer to the bard..🎸.. . sounds a lot more ominous than getting a visit from the barista.... :coffee:. ..:sneaky: ....;)
You don't have to be the sole inspiration for this story line. The heroine can be a patchwork of people, male/female, civilian/military... the possibilities are endless!

Of course, such a storyline needs villains... This forum has more than its fair share of members to supply inspiration for those. 😏

You don't have to be the sole inspiration for this story line. The heroine can be a patchwork of people, male/female, civilian/military... the possibilities are endless!

Of course, such a storyline needs villains... This forum has more than its fair share of members to supply inspiration for those. 😏
gotta come back to this thread later... .but i will do it.... ..for the past month or so we have been so busy i have only had limited time on the computer and even limited time to be at home... and todays is no different... ......but i do glance at this forum among other websites every time i get on... and try to answer what i can.... but mostly its just doing drive bys... .......wow.... if this was a job i woulda been fired already....

As far as college jobs, I had only one, the highly sought after position of Video Store Clerk (eat your hearts out😁).

As an interesting addition to this story, I was canned from this job a full 2 weeks before I was to be married!
We were going to have to live on love!
But God in His mercy literally came through like the proverbial Calvary coming in at the last minute.
I grew up Catholic, and my mother asked a German woman living in her New York City apartment building to be my Godmother and she accepted.
All throughout my life, she would graciously send me $500 here and $500 there.
Well, Tante Martha, as we called her, moved back to Germany,
And I would not think of not inviting her to the wedding.
She was 80 years old and nobody thought she would make the trip from Wuppertal, Germany, all the way to Nowhere'sville Ohio for the wedding,
But lo and behold, she hopped on a plane and ended up in Cleveland, OH, totally unannounced.
She called my mother and asked if she could pick her up and bring her to Pittsburgh.
Mom called me and was totally furious!
How could you invite this woman, you better figure out a place to keep her.
The wedding was being held at my father-in-law's Christian camp and it was very rugged and the accommodations were spartan at best.
I asked my mom if she wouldn't mind keeping her for a few days until after the wedding.
She very hesitatingly did so and in her Sicilian way brought the full weight of her guilt tripping personality to bear on me.
Not only that, Tante Martha brought with her an unwelcome guest, some kind of European Bubonic plague and got several of my family sick!
Well, they brought her on the three hour trip from Pittsburgh to Vinton, OH, for the wedding and Tante Martha was so proud and overjoyed to see us.
The wedding went off without a hitch, but the joy of getting married was dampened by the fact:
I had No Job, (I'm never broke, but I definitely was not rolling in dough)..., and I hated to go back to Hyles Anderson College without employment!
So, after the wedding, we began opening up the cards and gifts, and there was a card from Tante Martha, containing a gift of $10,000 dollars.
I was absolutely stunned to say the least.
When I told that to my mom, all griping stopped.
That money literally came out of the sky, completely unexpected.
That $10,000 certainly enabled us to make it through my last 2 years of college.
That's how God's provision has been throughout my life!
Praise the Lord!
Great story!!

Phil Sallie...
I made Phil Sallie so upset when I quit the job only after a month.
Oh well...

Couldn't stand this man. I get it that I should have taken responsibility for my own employment and housing, but Phil promised that when I got there I'd have a good job lined up and an apartment. Had he not said this, I would have looked and been ready. I called a couple of times and was reassured and he finally just said, "Get here. I'll take care of the rest".

I got there. Crickets. Not even the famous handing of classifieds. Luckily, a couple of families from the church took us in for a few weeks while I found both.

JH: "Stand up if Phil Sallie helped you get a job". Me: "How about have people stand up who Phil lied to?"

I'm really trying to rid myself of residual bitterness from there.

When you say, "us", I assume that means you had a family or a spouse.

I guess Phil was paid for the position he had at HAC which makes it even more grievous that he told lies.