Your Favorite Chapel Songs

Justice1976

Elect
Reaction score
I remember my days at HAC, mostly in the latter 70s as an introduction to many songs that were congregationally sung in chapel that I had never heard before. I haven't heard them since either.

Back then, I actually thought Dr. Evans' song leading was a bit strange, but then a friend of mine said one day, "He might be a bit weird, but he knows how to get people to sing." After I thought about that I had to concede that my friend was right.

But today, some of those songs we sang are sweet to me. Here are a few that I remember. What are yours? Help me with my poor memory.

Pearly White City
And Can it Be? Amazing Love
Wonderful, the Matchless Grace of Jesus
Coming Again

Coming Again
Top of this list is a classic hymn that the CC congregation I am part of sings from time to time.

Wonderful Grace of Jesus was always a fun song to sing within a congregation with its harmonies and parallel lines. I wish it was sung more often. It's very doctrinally solid.

I remember the chorus of Coming Again but little else. Sung within the Campus Church (PCC) maybe a couple times but played frequently on WPCS.

I remember my days at HAC, mostly in the latter 70s as an introduction to many songs that were congregationally sung in chapel that I had never heard before. I haven't heard them since either.

Back then, I actually thought Dr. Evans' song leading was a bit strange, but then a friend of mine said one day, "He might be a bit weird, but he knows how to get people to sing." After I thought about that I had to concede that my friend was right.

But today, some of those songs we sang are sweet to me. Here are a few that I remember. What are yours? Help me with my poor memory.

Pearly White City
Coming Again
I love, "And, Can It Be?"

Pearly White City
Coming Again
Coming Again.... ..
"Ladies "

Rejoice in the Lord this song always makes me cry happy tears

I love, "And, Can It Be?"
It's funny because Wesley wrote it and it is a Calvinist song.

ong my imprisoned spirit lay,
Fast bound in sin and nature's night
Thine eye diffused a quickening ray
I woke, the dungeon flamed with light
My chains fell off, my heart was free
I rose, went forth, and followed Thee

It's funny because Wesley wrote it and it is a Calvinist song.
Leading John Duncan, a Scottish theology professor from the 19th century, to ask: "Where's your Arminianism now, friend?"

The Wesleys were Arminians and wrote many explicitly Arminian hymns. But they were also friendly with George Whitefield, who was a Calvinist, and "And Can It Be" reflects his theology, not theirs.