Update on First Baptist Church of Hammond

HAC Alumni 2018 update: This Fall semester there are 380 on campus students.

Jrock said:
HAC Alumni 2018 update: This Fall semester there are 380 on campus students.
Probably another 150 to 200 off campus students, just to guess...

Wow! That would be a low number indeed. I thought they might have a bigger number off campus.

Not sure. Why in 2016? I would think 2012 because of the scandal with Jack Schaap.

Did he tell you there was a mass exodus in 2016? Was there another scandal? What was the total number in 2016?

I could be wrong but I think today's largest IFB churches could be; First baptist Church of Hammond; North Valley baptist Church; Lancaster Baptist Church and Temple Baptist Church.

Any new updates on First Baptist Church of Hammond or Hyles Anderson College since 2018?

I could be wrong but I think today's largest IFB churches could be; First baptist Church of Hammond; North Valley baptist Church; Lancaster Baptist Church and Temple Baptist Church

What church is Temple Baptist Church? What city? What Pastor?

It's my understanding Hyles Anderson is doing well. They have built their attendence up to just over 450 students. They are sending out preachers and missionaries just as they have for many years. Their staff and expenses are much leaner so they are in the black.

What church is Temple Baptist Church? What city? What Pastor?

Temple Baptist Church of Powell, Tennessee. Clarence Sexton pastored there for thirty-five years until his death last December. The church is currently searching for their next pastor, and the next president for Crown College of the Bible.

My sister attends Temple, and she and her friends estimated that before Pastor Sexton's death, the Sunday morning worship services were running approximately 3,500 individuals.

Temple Baptist Church of Powell, Tennessee. Clarence Sexton pastored there for thirty-five years until his death last December. The church is currently searching for their next pastor, and the next president for Crown College of the Bible.

My sister attends Temple, and she and her friends estimated that before Pastor Sexton's death, the Sunday morning worship services were running approximately 3,500 individuals.
Looking at his website and the church's, it seems Pastor Sexton is still alive. I was looking for dated material but didn't see any.

The Franklin Road Baptist church with Sr. Pastor Mike Norris would make the list of medium sized IFB churches with approximately 3500 members.

I wonder how many church members for First Baptist Church of Hammond and Lancaster Baptist Church? I think they both were over 4000 members 7 years ago.

HAC fired 40 staff members a few years ago. I know Carol Frye Tudor and her husband left after working there for over 30 years they are retired now. We were friends on FB but she deleted me after I reminded her that all was not well at college and church.

I took note this past May, according to the photos posted on the HAC Alumni FB page that the college had something in the 80-100 graduates this past year. I went back and checked my old yearbook -- I realize this is not an exact way to calculate, but the college would never produce such numbers, but it does provide some frame of reference -- that there were something like 430-450 graduates in 1981.

Bottom line -- barring a miracle of some sort, the college is dead. They may not know it or admit it, but you can't keep operating with such few numbers. Personally, I think they are putting off the inevitable of selling off all downtown properties and consolidating the church and school at the Crown Point campus. I bet some mega church Chicago are ministry would make a legitimate offer.

On a side note, upon the viewing the several photos of this year's graduates, first appears the school year has been reduced by a month. I mean, it's over the first week of May. I don't know what that's about. Second, the photos I saw did not depict any "older" (i.e., married) students. Again, not sure why. Older, married students were a very large part of the student body 40 years ago.