Recovering Fundamentalists Feature Dave Douglass

Check box Christianity. Hair cut correctly, dress correctly and be involved in a ministry. Signs of a mature well qualified ministry leader. Sad but true.
Well, that would disqualify me for sure! My hair often touches my ears and collar...my beard/mustache are at times not the shortest of best kept, and I don't wear a suit and tie to church, often wearing jeans and a nice t-shirt of collared shirt. Guess I'm just a rebel or one who would NEVER be used by God...that's what I've been told over the past few years....Sad that these idiots exist, but, they certainly do! I guess Jesus wouldn't be allowed in their services either!

Who is Dave Douglass?
in a ‘nutshell’?

I listen to it nothing to write home about.......

I have not, to my remembrance, ever heard of Douglass. I’m certain he’s never heard of me either, but I hold so place of prominence in any movement. I would say that simply illustrates how far the IFB movement has fallen since their heyday…when their leaders were very well known.

I have no ‘in‘ to the IFB movement but do have 3-4 young IFB pastors in our area who I meet with semi regularly…they are not true believers of the past principles of IFB-dom by any means. I’d say from the outside looking in that the IFB movement of the 70’s-80’s is dead and being buried as the old timers pass off the scene.

in fact they are so irrelevant that even we don’t make fun of them anymore.😊

I have not, to my remembrance, ever heard of Douglass. I’m certain he’s never heard of me either, but I hold so place of prominence in any movement. I would say that simply illustrates how far the IFB movement has fallen since their heyday…when their leaders were very well known.

I have no ‘in‘ to the IFB movement but do have 3-4 young IFB pastors in our area who I meet with semi regularly…they are not true believers of the past principles of IFB-dom by any means. I’d say from the outside looking in that the IFB movement of the 70’s-80’s is dead and being buried as the old timers pass off the scene.

in fact they are so irrelevant that even we don’t make fun of them anymore.😊
I’m curious, these 3-4 IFB pastors you mention do they require a woman to wear a dress when they teach Sunday school? Or do they require a man to wear a tie when teaching a Sunday school?

I’m curious, these 3-4 IFB pastors you mention do they require a woman to wear a dress when they teach Sunday school? Or do they require a man to wear a tie when teaching a Sunday school?
Does that really matter?

I think asking a question like this is as nit picky as the pastors who nit pick on this stuff.

Last edited:
No and no.

Does that really matter?

I think asking a question like this is as nit picky as the pastors who nit pick on this stuff.
My experience tells me if a pastor is requiring ppl to do something that is not found in scripture, there is no change.

I know of a pastor that allows the men of the church to have facial hair when at a point in the past he did not. But continues to require things like I’ve mentioned. Yet, loves to say, see we are not like other IFB churches.

In my opinion, there’s no change. He’s still THE PROBLEM.

I have no problem asking our church people to ascribe to a certain dress standard when they have positions in ministry that represent the church.
Every church has standards of some sort when it comes to dress.
Some are more conservative than others.
For instance, if you teach Sunday School, if you were pastor, you would not want your teachers teaching in a tank top and short shorts.
Even the most liberal church wouldn't allow their female teachers to come in to church wearing a bikini or male teachers teaching in a Speedo. (I hope)
If you have a choir and you have 'choir robes', no one would be allowed to participate unless they wore a choir robe.
Standards and rules are not a bad thing for those who represent the church.
Every church has them.

Last edited:
My experience tells me if a pastor is requiring ppl to do something that is not found in scripture, there is no change.

I know of a pastor that allows the men of the church to have facial hair when at a point in the past he did not. But continues to require things like I’ve mentioned. Yet, loves to say, see we are not like other IFB churches.

In my opinion, there’s no change. He’s still THE PROBLEM.
Gauging whether an IFB church has "changed" by evaluating its dress code or whether they allow facial hair is as superficial as the dress code itself.

It takes getting to know the pastor/fellowship first hand. But if you don't visit any IFB churches, I go back to my initial question, What does it matter?

As an aside, Mrs. abcaines and I will be in the Pensacola area in June. While we're there, we plan to attend the Campus Church at PCC for their Wednesday evening service. We ride with CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) and we wear our colors wherever we ride. We'll be rolling up to PCC on our bike. We have selected some nice shirts with the CMA logo on them to wear while we're there. We'll also be wearing clean dark pants which are appropriate for riding. It will be a nicer get up than we typically wear but we're doing that out of respect, not fear of the pastor's ire.

I attended the Campus Church when I was stationed in Pensacola in the 80s. That is where my most basic discipleship took place and I want to take my wife there because of that.

I have no problem asking our church people to ascribe to a certain dress standard when they have positions in ministry that represent the church.
Every church has standards of some sort when it comes to dress.
Some are more conservative than others.
For instance, if you teach Sunday School, if you were pastor, you would not want your teachers teaching in a tank top and short shorts.
Even the most liberal church wouldn't allow their female teachers to come in to church wearing a bikini or male teachers teaching in a Speedo. (I hope)
If you have a choir and you have 'choir robes', no one would be allowed to participate unless they wore a choir robe.
Standards and rules are not a bad thing for those who represent the church.
Every church has them.
If a pastor were to ask a lady to teach Sunday school and she shows up wearing a bikini, I would question the pastors discernment and the ladys mental health. Same if he were to ask a man to teach and he shows up in a Speedo.

Contrary to popular belief people who are born again and have the Spirit of God, do not need to be treated like 2 year olds.

The church we attend to my knowledge doesn’t have requirements for teachers and such. I’ve never seen a lady in the congregation or a Sunday school teacher show up with cleavage or a bikini.

However, there’s a requirement for each and every volunteer even the ppl who take the offering or help out in any way shape or form….and that’s a background check.

Gauging whether an IFB church has "changed" by evaluating its dress code or whether they allow facial hair is as superficial as the dress code itself.

It takes getting to know the pastor/fellowship first hand. But if you don't visit any IFB churches, I go back to my initial question, What does it matter?

As an aside, Mrs. abcaines and I will be in the Pensacola area in June. While we're there, we plan to attend the Campus Church at PCC for their Wednesday evening service. We ride with CMA (Christian Motorcyclists Association) and we wear our colors wherever we ride. We'll be rolling up to PCC on our bike. We have selected some nice shirts with the CMA logo on them to wear while we're there. We'll also be wearing clean dark pants which are appropriate for riding. It will be a nicer get up than we typically wear but we're doing that out of respect, not fear of the pastor's ire.

I attended the Campus Church when I was stationed in Pensacola in the 80s. That is where my most basic discipleship took place and I want to take my wife there because of that.
I agree with you, what does it matter? It doesn’t but this is the FFF and we are here to have fun and give our opinions, that’s all.

Again, I agree with you it does take getting to know the pastor. Buuut in my opinion if he puts requirements on ppl that are not found in scripture he is demanding something that God does not! And I have an issue with that.

In essence, that pastor is saying, God should’ve put that requirement in the Bible. At least this is my opinion.

In my experience many of the younger IFB pastors do not require the dress standards of the past. The 2 pastors I mentioned both reached out to me…a known SBC Pastor.

Buuut in my opinion if he puts requirements on ppl that are not found in scripture he is demanding something that God does not! And I have an issue with that.
Mine too.

I looked up a link to an online Bible college that was recently mentioned in one of the threads. As I often do, I went for the "statement of faith" but their link to their position on accreditation caught my eye. I took a look and the first line of the link was something along the lines of: "Dr. Jack Hyles said it best..."

I didn't go any further. I deemed the institution a cracked pot worthy of my ignoring.

He went to Tennessee (I think) to take a church and he and his real estate wife bought a million dollar house. Church people found out about it and kicked him out.

He went to Tennessee (I think) to take a church and he and his real estate wife bought a million dollar house. Church people found out about it and kicked him out.
Why would the church care what kind of house he could afford or did I misunderstand the post.

Is it some kind of woke prosperity hating group of people. I absolutely hate the philophsy that a good Christian should be living check to check and should be poor. One of the many ways God blessed his people, in the Bible, was through financial blessing and wealth. A hard working talented real estate agent can see financial success very quickly. I don't know Pastor Douglas but perhaps their money may have come the old fashioned way, through inheritance.

Last edited: