Hacker Trivia!!

Who used to collect veteran's expired ID cards, put them on a wall and pray for them?

And the answer is:
Da da DA!
Karl Laurent!
That one was totally lost on me. Also, I never wrote a letter to a Supreme Court Justice.
i think that;s the guy my dad credits with being the reason he use to write letters to senators - congressmen and other represtatives here in hawaii.... . he frequently got letters back from them too... ..as a result of those interactions he also helped sponsor some public safety legislation and tesified at the hearings for them.... .......and.... due to my dads influence ...i have written letters to representatives too from time to time... .i attended a few hearings in support of important legislation too.... but never actually spoke at them.... but i don;t think he ever wrote to a judge... and i never did either..... .

but...... whoever this guy was.. that i never met and know nothing else about.. (never even been close to the state the college is in...)... . his influence still carrys many years ..and even a generation later....... ...... all that just to say - one never knows how far their words and their work will go.... it;s amazing..... :cool:

I guess I liked Bro. Laurent. I thought him a bit strange, but "strange" was rather par for the course in the late 70's. I never thought he was a great Bible teacher, in fact I thought he was deficient. I think Bro. Hyles gave him a position because of his loyalty. He was already up in years when the college began and I believe he may have been retired from the telephone company.

I had almost forgotten about the letter writing. I think he gave credit for writing them. It was political activism in it's most obvious form, and while it has it's place, I would contend that place was not in a college classroom, for it had nothing to do with academics.

I remember that he always opened his classes with a chorus and the one I remember most was "I've Got a Mansion Just Over the Hilltop." He could not sing, but he belted it out from his heart and I appreciated that.

I saw him one final time in 2001. He was almost totally blind and appeared to have become iconic at the college. RIP, Carl.

I guess I liked Bro. Laurent. I thought him a bit strange, but "strange" was rather par for the course in the late 70's. I never thought he was a great Bible teacher, in fact I thought he was deficient. I think Bro. Hyles gave him a position because of his loyalty. He was already up in years when the college began and I believe he may have been retired from the telephone company.

I had almost forgotten about the letter writing. I think he gave credit for writing them. It was political activism in it's most obvious form, and while it has it's place, I would contend that place was not in a college classroom, for it had nothing to do with academics.

I remember that he always opened his classes with a chorus and the one I remember most was "I've Got a Mansion Just Over the Hilltop." He could not sing, but he belted it out from his heart and I appreciated that.

I saw him one final time in 2001. He was almost totally blind and appeared to have become iconic at the college. RIP, Carl.
You are right, his Romans and Corinthians class was a big disappointment.

But woe be to the schlep that fell asleep in his class! HEY BABEEEEEE!