HAC 2018 Graduation. 71 graduates

bgwilkinson

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
31902084_2114259688589295_5605188885446393856_n.jpg

31542987_2114259721922625_6755663663148826624_n.jpg

Amen...May the Lord Grant them grace and fruitful ministries!

Any HACkers in this group?

I'm sorry, and this is just my opinion, but having that logo splattered over that page really degrades from the pictures.  I'm sure the students know where they went to school.

fishinnut said:
What is a 1 year Bible diploma?

You go for 1 year, take Bible courses, get a diploma.

Were any honorary doctorates given at this  graduation?

tobytyler said:
Were any honorary doctorates given at this  graduation?

No.
Those things are worthless and an insult to those who receive it.
We still do give those away in times of weakness.

It looks to me like there were something between 80-100 graduates in 2024. From the pics I saw, there were no "older" (married) students. That looks to be so different from forty years ago. Married students comprised a sizeable portion of the student body.

The college is dead. You CANNOT continue operating with so few students. The overhead is too great. I hope that the church will find a way to carry on. Perhaps it will lead to a consolidation of all the ministries in Crown Point.

How many graduates did Hyles Anderson College have during their peak years?

The college is dead. You CANNOT continue operating with so few students. The overhead is too great. I hope that the church will find a way to carry on. Perhaps it will lead to a consolidation of all the ministries in Crown Point.

Nobody can ever accuse me of being a defender of Hyles' legacy, but I would not rashly jump to heralding its death just because its enrollment is a fraction of what it used to be. Maranatha Baptist University, for instance, has spent nearly the past decade hovering between 500 and 550 students on their campus, and during that time they have expanded both their academic and athletic offerings. The collegiate landscape has changed. Some of the folks with whom I talked at Maranatha when I and my pastor went to visit the campus last year explained that a large plurality of their students take on-line courses for one or two years before transferring to the main campus in Wisconsin to finish their undergraduate degrees. If you factor in all the four-year students that, in the old days, would have been physically present during the semester, Maranatha's numbers jump up to between seven and eight hundred...precisely where they were for a majority of their history.

Perhaps the same is true for Hyles-Anderson. Do they offer online classes? Even if they do not, they are subsidized heavily by the largest independent Baptist church in America. If a place like Maranatha can survive on tuition, small donations, and prayer, Hyles-Anderson will be around for a long, long time.

Nobody can ever accuse me of being a defender of Hyles' legacy, but I would not rashly jump to heralding its death just because its enrollment is a fraction of what it used to be. Maranatha Baptist University, for instance, has spent nearly the past decade hovering between 500 and 550 students on their campus, and during that time they have expanded both their academic and athletic offerings. The collegiate landscape has changed. Some of the folks with whom I talked at Maranatha when I and my pastor went to visit the campus last year explained that a large plurality of their students take on-line courses for one or two years before transferring to the main campus in Wisconsin to finish their undergraduate degrees. If you factor in all the four-year students that, in the old days, would have been physically present during the semester, Maranatha's numbers jump up to between seven and eight hundred...precisely where they were for a majority of their history.

Perhaps the same is true for Hyles-Anderson. Do they offer online classes? Even if they do not, they are subsidized heavily by the largest independent Baptist church in America. If a place like Maranatha can survive on tuition, small donations, and prayer, Hyles-Anderson will be around for a long, long time.
Very interesting and enlightening. Yes, they do offer online courses but I know no specifics. Maybe they can stay afloat. I understand that the church carries a sizable amount of debt that originated in the Schaap years and that has been a struggle at times to manage. And I concede that they pay faculty and staff meager wages. But I still think it's a stretch to maintain the college.

One of my very best friends (whom I trust explicitly) was told by Jack Hyles in about 1993 that he would be leaving the church ten million dollars upon his death and that it was his expectation that the church and college would eventually be consolidated on the college campus. If you are familiar with Hammond, the church neighborhood is rather drab and probably not the safest area in Indiana today.

I believe that the money was left to the church but that Jack Schaap mismanaged it and borrowed more, building a gigantic sanctuary next door to the original one and they still still owe a lot. From photos of various events that I have seen in recent years, I doubt that sanctuary is ever more than half full. INMO, Jack Schaap became very full of himself and mishandled most everything that was handed to him. In some ways that is obvious. He was not prepared to take that position in most every way. That culture groomed everyone to anoint Schaap as "a great man." I had one VERY upper level, well known person at that time tell me that in the days following Schaap's appointment to the position. Retrospectively, the lack of perception on the part of the "elders" of that ministry is staggering.

No doubt that the college had to do a lot of cutbacks over the years.
One of those things is they no longer do a yearbook, sad to say.

No doubt that the college had to do a lot of cutbacks over the years.
One of those things is they no longer do a yearbook, sad to say.
I have seen the very smallest of schools publish a yearbook because the system is set up for the proceeds from the book sale plus advertisements, pay for the publishing. I guess I am going to sound harsh, but I do not believe the lack of a yearbook is for monetary reasons, but rather lack of interest and effort.