Guns and the HAC Culture

Justice1976

Elect
Reaction score
It was about 1980, so I was over 21 years old. I was working in a plant in East Chicago and I had a revolver that I wanted to sell to a co-worker. We met in the parking lot and the guy examined it and decided he wanted to buy it. While making the transaction, an anonymous classmate of mine who also worked there saw us. He was anonymous because I never knew who it was.

A few days later in Chapel during the announcements, I was told to report to Bro. John Olsen. I had no idea why. I went to see John Olsen, who proceeded to grill me about whether I owned a gun. I said, sure, I had several that a married student kept for me. He told me that I had been seen at work with a hand gun. I told him the story. I don't recall after these 44 years what became of the conversation. I know it didn't change anything. I wasn't suspended or booted out of school or anything of that sort. But the incident never sat well with me. He treated me like I was making pipe bombs and selling them to terrorists.

I was a southern kid who had been raised around firearms and I probably knew more about them that John Olsen. I didn't do anything wrong or illegal. I had not handled a firearm in an unsafe manner. I felt it was an intrusion into my private life. I felt that some student had unduly reported me. It was around this time that somehow I knew my days in that culture were numbered and that's how it turned out to be.

I hadn't thought about the incident in years until today.

Many would say as a college student, selling a handgun in a parking lot at night is unwise and if this student were to not register it and use it in a crime it could come back on you and look bad on the college and the church.

In 1980 was it legal to sell a handgun without a permit? Was that before background checks? How well did you know the student or coworker you sold a deadly weapon to? If he used it in a crime would it look like you were a accessory. Would you be charged with conspiricy to commit whatever crime the gun was used in.

I have sold many guns and bought a few as well at gun shows and at peoples homes but never in the parkinglot at work. most workplaces forbid firearms on their property.

Many may criticize Bro. Olsen for not doing more but it seems everything worked out fine. Do you think Bro Olsen should have just ignored a college buying or selling firearms while a student. I think he was obligated to inquire and see if you might have something nefarous in mnd.

It was about 1980, so I was over 21 years old. I was working in a plant in East Chicago and I had a revolver that I wanted to sell to a co-worker. We met in the parking lot and the guy examined it and decided he wanted to buy it. While making the transaction, an anonymous classmate of mine who also worked there saw us. He was anonymous because I never knew who it was.

A few days later in Chapel during the announcements, I was told to report to Bro. John Olsen. I had no idea why. I went to see John Olsen, who proceeded to grill me about whether I owned a gun. I said, sure, I had several that a married student kept for me. He told me that I had been seen at work with a hand gun. I told him the story. I don't recall after these 44 years what became of the conversation. I know it didn't change anything. I wasn't suspended or booted out of school or anything of that sort. But the incident never sat well with me. He treated me like I was making pipe bombs and selling them to terrorists.

I was a southern kid who had been raised around firearms and I probably knew more about them that John Olsen. I didn't do anything wrong or illegal. I had not handled a firearm in an unsafe manner. I felt it was an intrusion into my private life. I felt that some student had unduly reported me. It was around this time that somehow I knew my days in that culture were numbered and that's how it turned out to be.

I hadn't thought about the incident in years until today.
The big question is, "Did you ever go inside the married students house?" That was against the rules. Not sure why.

I can always tell if someone is really a gun owner when they ask if a gun is "registered". In1980, Illinois had the FOID card requirement, but that only pertaining to buying a gun and/or Ammo from a dealer or store. Transactions between individuals were not regulated, so if my uncle left me his shotgun in his will, the government was not involved.

My state foes
I can always tell if someone is really a gun owner when they ask if a gun is "registered". In1980, Illinois had the FOID card requirement, but that only pertaining to buying a gun and/or Ammo from a dealer or store. Transactions between individuals were not regulated, so if my uncle left me his shotgun in his will, the government was not involved.
My state does not register firearms, even to this day.