Christian Attire - The 90% Rule

illinoisguy

Elect
Reaction score
For the first time in history that I am aware of, a fundamentalist has proposed a numerical standard for Christian attire. Dr. Shelton Smith said this, as an addendum to a discussion of mixed bathing, in the August 2, 2024 issue of "Sword of the Lord," page 20:

"I simply do not believe that Christians ought to undress themselves for going out in public. There is very little of your flesh that should be uncovered. About 90% or more of your body should be covered. Whatever portion of your flesh you leave uncovered, it strongly suggests that you probably don't mind people looking at it. Consequently, I recommend a pretty full attire.

"I hope this will help you understand that Christians ought to dress modestly. we should not attempt to mimic the world in its state of undress."

The 90% standard would appear to mean that very little of our bodies, other than face and hands, can be left uncovered in public. I am not sure what to make of this. I wonder if any significant number of IFBx lay people and pastors, even among churches that advertise in the "Sword of the Lord," would take such a standard seriously.

It could be said that Smith is not attempting to lay down the law for all fundamentalists - perhaps he is merely making a suggestion, a recommendation, some helpful advice, for our own good. Nevertheless, the publication of such a strict standard, even as a suggestion only, could be a discouragement to folks considering affiliation with an IFBx congregation.

For the first time in history that I am aware of, a fundamentalist has proposed a numerical standard for Christian attire. Dr. Shelton Smith said this, as an addendum to a discussion of mixed bathing, in the August 2, 2024 issue of "Sword of the Lord," page 20:

"I simply do not believe that Christians ought to undress themselves for going out in public. There is very little of your flesh that should be uncovered. About 90% or more of your body should be covered. Whatever portion of your flesh you leave uncovered, it strongly suggests that you probably don't mind people looking at it. Consequently, I recommend a pretty full attire.

"I hope this will help you understand that Christians ought to dress modestly. we should not attempt to mimic the world in its state of undress."

The 90% standard would appear to mean that very little of our bodies, other than face and hands, can be left uncovered in public. I am not sure what to make of this. I wonder if any significant number of IFBx lay people and pastors, even among churches that advertise in the "Sword of the Lord," would take such a standard seriously.

It could be said that Smith is not attempting to lay down the law for all fundamentalists - perhaps he is merely making a suggestion, a recommendation, some helpful advice, for our own good. Nevertheless, the publication of such a strict standard, even as a suggestion only, could be a discouragement to folks considering affiliation with an IFBx congregation.
He must be a Muslim.

There's more to immodesty than "too little." What's inappropriate for church or the office might be perfectly fine for the beach.

There's also "too much" or "too tight," for example. Sure, you might be 90% covered, but the outfit still screams "Look at me" because it costs more than all the other clothes in the room, or because you can still see every fold and stretch mark through it.

Assigning a number is the epitome of legalism.
I heartily agree. I have to say when I was still preaching in those circles, I fell in line with this idiocy. Thankfully I got away from all that legalism. The real killer was this....when the pastors, preachers, evangelists, college professors, presidents, and counsellors were talking about these things I seldom if ever heard "the Bible says." I always heard "This is what I believe." Man-made rules disguised as Bible, or Bible verses cherry-picked and taken out of context.

What is "modest apparel?"
You're going to get several different standards depending upon who posts its definition.
i hate posting vesus by themselves and not in context.... but to understand what paul meant by modesty look at what he said it was not.... in 1st timothy 2 9-10 paul wrote " in like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array; .... but (which becometh women professing godliness) with good works...."

if paul... who wrote a huge portion of the new testament... knew better than to draw up a specific manner of dress and make it a standard telling them what to do... rather than just tell them what to avoid... then why do modern theologians try to do it?..... .paul simply said it was clothing that professed godliness and not expensive stuff rich women like to show off with.......

I heartily agree. I have to say when I was still preaching in those circles, I fell in line with this idiocy. Thankfully I got away from all that legalism. The real killer was this....when the pastors, preachers, evangelists, college professors, presidents, and counsellors were talking about these things I seldom if ever heard "the Bible says." I always heard "This is what I believe." Man-made rules disguised as Bible, or Bible verses cherry-picked and taken out of context.
Can we all agree God wants women (and men for that matter) to dress modestly and like music we all have do define what that is for ourselves based on the circumstances.

I once had a good conversation with a Mormon including their aversion to caffeine and (some) Baptist's shunning of mixed bathing. He had had never heard of that expression and got a kick out if it.

Well, there’s nothing more cherished amongst us Baptists than sola scriptura.

<ahem>

🙄

Can we all agree God wants women (and men for that matter) to dress modestly and like music we all have do define what that is for ourselves based on the circumstances.
i can agree with that..... as long as we all really do agree that what constitutes "modest" in one part of the country or culture might be different in another one........ ..... as far as hawaii standards go i think i dress modestly..... and that includes dressing appropriately for the situation or activity .... but if they saw me in some of those activites a lot of people on the forum would say i;m under dressed or revealing too much.... but then if they saw me in church they might criticize me for being over dressed... or wearing what they call "church clothes"..... <--- a phrase i only even heard on the fff...... ....

Recently there was a video posted on Facebook showing a woman singing a gospel song in front of a crowd. I did not know who she was but she was wearing a backless dress. I later saw a photo of her from the front. The dress showed her bare shoulders and arms.

I made a comment that I hoped she earned enough money to buy a decent dress. I was attacked (by what I would consider an IFB crowd) and insulted for making such a remark. The "excuse" given was that she was pregnant.

I replied I did not know of an exemption clause for dressing modestly. The truth is that this type of immodest dress is considered "normal" by those in this particular group.

The other truth is that many of us have seen fine, decent Christian women who are an example of dress become unhinged at weddings. Brides and bridesmaids dressing to show cleavage, etc. Being partly naked at a "Christian" wedding is mostly acceptable.

I confess my perplexion.

i can agree with that..... as long as we all really do agree that what constitutes "modest" in one part of the country or culture might be different in another one........ ..... as far as hawaii standards go i think i dress modestly..... and that includes dressing appropriately for the situation or activity .... but if they saw me in some of those activites a lot of people on the forum would say i;m under dressed or revealing too much.... but then if they saw me in church they might criticize me for being over dressed... or wearing what they call "church clothes"..... <--- a phrase i only even heard on the fff...... ....
Ask Elisabeth Elliot, and Jim Elliot for that matter. In the Ecuadorian jungle, women were naked. They did not make them get dressed.

Ask Elisabeth Elliot, and Jim Elliot for that matter. In the Ecuadorian jungle, women were naked. They did not make them get dressed.
Because they were Episcopalian?

The point of the OP is the standard for Christians, not lost heathen. I've always done and taught that when starting a new church, don't make any judgment for at least 3 years. You cannot change worldly, new Christians, overnight. As far as "making" anyone do anything, that is a waste of time. Solid preaching and leading by example works.

I for one believe that there is a time and place for mixed bathing. The place is a hotel jacuzzi suite and the time is the honeymoon and any opportunity that comes along after that. 🙂

Nor did they get undressed in order to "relate" to the culture!

What did the Ecuadorian women look like after a significant time of gospel influence?