Carnal Christians?

Foghorn

Elect
Reaction score
And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ. 1 Corinthians 3:1.

Cor 3:1 seems to have been a source of much debate and conflict. Many seem to use this verse as a proof text to prove the teaching called - "carnal Christianity."

This teaching asserts that there are two classes of Christians. The carnal and the spiritual.

According to their argument, a "carnal Christian" is a Christian who can continue living in sin and still be considered a true child of God. They look to Paul's teaching in this verse as the basis of their assertion.

But, is Paul teaching that a Christian can continue to live in sin and still be called a Christian?
Is he contradicting his own teaching in Romans 8:5-7
For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Thoughts?

I covered this in a recent bible study at our Church.

First of all, Paul is clearly addressing this group as being believers by calling them "brethren" (adelphoi).

The verbage is "Not as unto spiritual but as unto carnal." Not that they ARE carnal but that they were behaving like they are carnal. The next phrase pretty much interprets the rest of the passage leaving little room for doubt - "even as unto babes in Christ."

Therefore, this passage IS NOT speaking of two classes of Christians. He is speaking to immature Christians who require correction and spiritual instruction of which Paul is providing. With the opening words of this chapter, Paul is discerning where they are spiritually and how best to deal with this congregation.

There is no such a thing as a "Carnal Christian" who remains carnal, who has absolutely no evidence of regeneration or desire for spiritual growth. I believe the case can be made from Romans 8 but not from 1 Cor 3. If you are in Christ, it will be evident to the believer as well as those around him.

I covered this in a recent bible study at our Church.

First of all, Paul is clearly addressing this group as being believers by calling them "brethren" (adelphoi).

The verbage is "Not as unto spiritual but as unto carnal." Not that they ARE carnal but that they were behaving like they are carnal. The next phrase pretty much interprets the rest of the passage leaving little room for doubt - "even as unto babes in Christ."

Therefore, this passage IS NOT speaking of two classes of Christians. He is speaking to immature Christians who require correction and spiritual instruction of which Paul is providing. With the opening words of this chapter, Paul is discerning where they are spiritually and how best to deal with this congregation.

There is no such a thing as a "Carnal Christian" who remains carnal, who has absolutely no evidence of regeneration or desire for spiritual growth. I believe the case can be made from Romans 8 but not from 1 Cor 3. If you are in Christ, it will be evident to the believer as well as those around him.
I regret that I have but one "TRUTH" to give for this excellent answer.

"In 2 Timothy 2:19 we read, 'the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his.' That is eternal security. Yet the last part of that verse reads, 'And, Let everyone that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.' That is Christian perseverance. The proof that I am in Christ is that I am daily departing from sin, not wallowing in it and calling myself a carnal Christian. . . .

"There can be no looking back; there can be no drawing back; there can be no turning back; there can be no falling back, or there will be apostasy. Let me warn you: cease from sin; cease from crying 'peace' to your soul by convincing yourself that you are a 'carnal Christian.'"
- L.R. Shelton Jr., "The Warnings of God's Word," Chapel Library, Mount Zion Bible Church, Pensacola, Florida.

Back