Was Christ a Geocentrist?

Ekklesian

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Matthew 5:45 That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

Well akshually, the sun doesn't rise, the earth turns.

Are you Neil deGrasse Tyson posting in disguise, doing your best to make both science and Christianity boring?
Did Christ describe something that wasn't true?

It’s called a metaphor. There are a few forums for atheists out there. If you need some help finding one, let me know and I’ll be happy to show you out the back door.
No, this is not metaphorical. If not actual, then the speaking is relative.

So the question remains...

Of course not. Don't be a fool. We (as Jesus also did) stand on the earth, which appears fixed in place from our point of view; thus, we experience the sun rising over the eastern horizon and setting over the western. Jesus used everyday, phenomenological language to describe an ordinary human experience.

Of course not. Don't be a fool. We (as Jesus also did) stand on the earth, which appears fixed in place from our point of view; thus, we experience the sun rising over the eastern horizon and setting over the western. Jesus used everyday, phenomenological language to describe an ordinary human experience.
exactly... there are many examples in scripture of Jesus speaking to people and describing things in a way they would understand... and there are also examples of pharisees... who were no doubt better educated than the populace... callling Him out on the technicalities and trying to trip Him up.... His purpose was/is to bring the lost to salvation and the pharaisees purpose was to simply see themselves as right about everything... ....over the years little has changed....

But in reality--or, in other words, the truth--is something else.

I believe the Bible.
Believing in the Bible isn’t going to get you to heaven, buddy boy. There are many atheists who believe in the Bible, too. I’m sniffing some humanism wafting from your part of the room. Am I incorrect?

You're deflecting. My question was about Christ's words. Did He speak the truth or not?

So Christ's words were relative. Is that what you're saying?

So Christ's words were relative. Is that what you're saying?
I assume you're going to make some other childish assertion that "relative" speech is lying, even though it's a normal part of all human speech to speak sometimes in relative terms.
Yes, relative to where he was standing and speaking. In Israel the sun was rising on the evil and the good--in the east. Meanwhile, at roughtly the same time, in Alaska it was setting in the west on the evil and the good. Relative.

What an idiotic question! The terminology "the sun rises" is still used today, and is used to describe an event. It's not a scientific explanation of what is going on. GEESH! The stupidity of some people.

It’s called a metaphor. There are a few forums for atheists out there. If you need some help finding one, let me know and I’ll be happy to show you out the back door.
You shouldn't use the words "back door" with Ekklisian...if it's a "he"...he might just be into that kind of thing...or so it seems from some of his/its responses.

I assume you're going to make some other childish assertion that "relative" speech is lying,
You would be wrong.
even though it's a normal part of all human speech to speak sometimes in relative terms.
Yet in Christ's statement, God is the active agent. He is telling us about a work of His Father. Which is easier to say, God makes His world to turn, or makes His sun to rise?

And what is the relative term here:

And the sun stood still, and the moon stopped...
Joshua 10:13 ESV​

What an idiotic question! The terminology "the sun rises" is still used today, and is used to describe an event. It's not a scientific explanation of what is going on. GEESH! The stupidity of some people.
Christ wasn't describing an act of nature like we do, thinking, albeit not intentionally, that God isn't active in the rising of the sun or in the falling of rain. He is saying His Father is active and present in those things, and is doing something.

So the statement isn't about the sun or the rain, it's about God.

So where Christ said God is moving the sun, He really meant God is turning the earth. Is that what you're saying?

Last edited: