How Many of the Schools in the College forums...

Every now and then, maybe not so much anymore, I run across a Sword of the Lord from decades ago and find the college ad section quite the stroll down memory lane.

I've been told by many friends who graduated from BJU that it's on its last legs. I know that Maranatha has been lambasted by some and many hyper fundes aren't happy that it's semi shifted in some positions over the years, but, it's far from closing.

Matriculation for BJU is way down
Maranatha has been about 750 for awhile... in the 600s when I was there

When I was at Maranatha it was running at 450 in the college and another 400 in the academy. Sometimes I truly wish I could go back.

Four hundred in the Academy?!?! We have a young man in my home church that is a freshman in the University this year, and the Academy is (according to the administration) having a "strong year" of approximately seventy to eighty students in the ninth through twelfth grades.

How in the world did Cedarholm and Weniger manage that crowd of teenagers?

are no more?

How many are now on life support?

To answer your question, Midwestern Baptist College now operates out of a smaller church and has perhaps two dozen students. Ambassador Baptist College is running approximately 140 students this year but is expanding its facilities and anticipating a bright future. North Florida Baptist College (formerly Berean Baptist College of Fleming Island, Florida) can number its students in the low dozens, if that. Crown College of the Bible is booming, thanks primarily to its School of Trades and Technologies. Tim Tomlinson and James Zenker have stated that enrollment numbers over five-hundred students this year. Oklahoma Baptist College has fewer than forty students and is simply running at the behest of Tom Vineyard and Higher Plain Baptist Church. Heartland Baptist Bible College is holding its own, maintaining a student population of approximately 450. Fairhaven is definitely under two-hundred students, but I am unable to find more specific numbers than that. Providence Baptist College--Keith Gomez's former school in Illinois--was running under one-hundred students the last I heard.

Four hundred in the Academy?!?! We have a young man in my home church that is a freshman in the University this year, and the Academy is (according to the administration) having a "strong year" of approximately seventy to eighty students in the ninth through twelfth grades.

How in the world did Cedarholm and Weniger manage that crowd of teenagers?
Many came from the surrounding towns//churches who were looking for Christian education. I don't know how many lived on campus. I know there were some in one of the dorms. I lived in Mens Dorm 1. I don't know if Dr. Cedarholm was actively in the day-to-day work of the academy. I don't know anything about how Dr. Weniger handled the kids. I was gone before he took over in 1983. I knew several of the academy kids. Anastasia Snook was one, and she went to the Bible Baptist Church in Beaver Dam.

Coach Aikens ran the Academy.
Darrell Sturgill also assisted
Weniger was definitely involved as the ultimate overseer handling hring and firing issues

Weniger was specicially equipped for that since he had one of the largest Christian Schools in Illinois and was President of the Illinois Christian School Association before coming to MBBC (as it was called at the time, "Go Crusaders!")

Is Moody Bible Institute still active?

Is Moody Bible Institute still active?
Very much so.

I enrolled in their "Scofield Bible" course, a long time ago.

There is a campus a couple hours north of us in Spokane. According to Google maps, the campus, located in Spokane Valley, is permanently closed. According to MBI's website there is still an aviation campus there.

Pastor of the church I attended in California was a Moody grad from the late 60s. He said that he originally planned to go into missionary aviation but didn't qualify, thus sparing several missionaries lives.

Last edited:
West Coast Baptist College is booming. The last time that I heard enrollment figures was about two years ago, and they were nearing one-thousand students.
Golden State Baptist College is holding its own. Even approximate numbers are difficult to obtain, but they seem to be around the two-hundred student mark.
Commonwealth Baptist College fluctuates between one-hundred-and-fifty and two-hundred students; however, their unique problem is a shockingly high attrition rate. I was speaking with a young man who graduated from there two weeks ago, and he stated that his last two years there (2021-2022/2022-2023), it was not uncommon for a dozen or more students to quit mid-semester. One of those four semesters, he said, saw just over twenty students leave before finals. Not expelled, just departing of their own accord.

West Coast Baptist College is booming. The last time that I heard enrollment figures was about two years ago, and they were nearing one-thousand students.
Golden State Baptist College is holding its own. Even approximate numbers are difficult to obtain, but they seem to be around the two-hundred student mark.
Commonwealth Baptist College fluctuates between one-hundred-and-fifty and two-hundred students; however, their unique problem is a shockingly high attrition rate. I was speaking with a young man who graduated from there two weeks ago, and he stated that his last two years there (2021-2022/2022-2023), it was not uncommon for a dozen or more students to quit mid-semester. One of those four semesters, he said, saw just over twenty students leave before finals. Not expelled, just departing of their own accord.
At Maranatha 83 saw at least 10 students quitting mid semester, but some of those defected to HAC. I know of two who went to BJU.

My daughter is at Maranantha now. I thought she said there were about 350 students there.

I reached out to one of the trustees at Maranatha, and he told me that the physical campus (residential and commuting students combined) had somewhere between 500 and 550 students last semester, although it was in the higher end of that range.

The 350-400 number is (most likely) the undergraduate, residential University students. On top of that, there are two to three dozen students in the Institute each year, a small dormitory full of Seminary students, and dozens of commuting University students.

Maranatha has so many divisions and institutions under the "shield" that it can be hard to ascertain exact figures; however, these are perhaps the most accurate that we can obtain without telephoning the Executive Office in Watertown.

Does any one have accurate Hyles Anderson numbers. I was told by a friend they are running between 500 - 600 and the numbers are growing each year.