Favorite Foods and Recipes...

Prime rib, Boston butt, grilling technique conversations? It's breakfast time here but I'm ready to throw some kind of slab of meat on the grill! Abcaine's and Tony, we could be brothers from another mother, lol.
Yep...I agree! Bring on the brisket! :)

I'm totally with you. Going through the trial of Angela's parents passing and helping settle the estate naturally caused me to change up how I ate and exercised. I kid you not: within 10 minutes of us getting word that Mom had passed, my doctor called to tell me that my blood sugar was in the diabetic range and he wanted me to start metformin. By then, I was getting into better dietary habits so the metformin made me feel like CRAP. At first, I got pretty zealous about cutting out carbs but all that did was make me constantly hungry and grouchy. I still limit my carb/sugar intake but I try to keep my carb intake limited to the early part of the day. I keep myself to protein and vegetables later in the day and stop eating by 5 pm. I've been sleeping better because of this.

CHRISTmas blessings to you and your family.
You can get a continuous glucose monitor and it will give you realtime data on how your body responds to different foods. Insurance should cover most of the costs. It definitely beats using medications like Metformin. https://www.umassmed.edu/globalasse...e/images/news-stories/diabetes-cgm-type-1.jpg

You can get a continuous glucose monitor and it will give you realtime data on how your body responds to different foods. Insurance should cover most of the costs. It definitely beats using medications like Metformin. https://www.umassmed.edu/globalasse...e/images/news-stories/diabetes-cgm-type-1.jpg
but there;s the rub..... there are many people out there who don;t have insurance that will cover expensive things like that.... and sadly some of them are the very people who worked their entire life responding to injured people and those with medical emergencies... including responding to those who had suffered from diabetic emergencies...... ..

and now in retirement after working a job that actually gave them diabetes due to the things they had to endure to perform it... they are left with bottom of the barrel insurance coverage ... less than adequate medical care... and a state retirement system that seems to wish they would just go ahead and die and get off the books....

sorry... didn;t mean to go on a rant... . but someone i;m very close to is dealing with that now.... and i;m trying to help deal with the insurance company.... ..i have come close to throwing things at the television when i see those commericials for all these new wonder drugs and treatments for diabetes.... .. but so far i have been able to restrain myself....

Last edited:
Have the price of eggs skyrocketed in your area? At the market where we do our shopping, there is a sign on the door of the egg case explaining that there is an avian virus going around the regional providers. Egg production has fallen and purchase limits are in place. The price for a dozen jumbo eggs has jumped from just over a dollar to nearly $4! :oops: 🤯

Have the price of eggs skyrocketed in your area? At the market where we do our shopping, there is a sign on the door of the egg case explaining that there is an avian virus going around the regional providers. Egg production has fallen and purchase limits are in place. The price for a dozen jumbo eggs has jumped from just over a dollar to nearly $4! :oops: 🤯
eggs have always been more expensive here than on the mainland... and the current average price for a dozen x-large eggs at safeway is 8 dollars.. :cautious: 🥚... ..it was around 5 dollars a few months ago... i think the cheapest i ever saw them in recent times was 3 dollars... .... .. but if you know someone whose family owns a chicken farm you can buy them direct from there a lot cheaper....🐔 .. and we usually do that buying 4 dozen at a time.... but i can;t rmember the actual price because we buy chicken from them at the same time and it;s all on the same bill.. .. which someone other than me signs for....

even the fish i buy directly from the boats has gotten more expensive.... instead of a 20 dollar bill covering a nice sized shibi i have to fork over a 20 and a 10 now for one... and a really big one now that new years is coming up will likely cost twice that.... people here go crazy over fresh ahi at new years.. but fresh off the boat is still the best way to buy it... you just gotta be willing to get dirty and climb down into the hold yourself to sort through them ..🐟... ..i have a pair of fireman turn out pants - over the elbow rubber gloves and rubber boots just for that purpose..:cool:

Last edited:
They have jumped here. We use a LOT of eggs...so we buy the largest quantity they sell....60 count...They have gone from $16.95 to over $24..95 per container. It's still less expensive than some of the other options we have for breakfast. They last between 7 and 10 days. We usually get these from Kroger, but sometimes from Sams Club.

20230106_173146.jpg
Homemade broccoli beef. Tasted like restaurant dish... I did overdo the ginger a bit but it was good. Next time, I'd like to try fresh ginger instead of ground ginger.

delicious all-purpose stir fry sauce for chinese dishes..

we make a lot of different sauces for chinese food here at home... one of
them is very similar to this one made by this youtuber and online chef...
....in fact it is almost identical.... and very tasty.... 👩‍🍳

and here is the printable version of the recipe with all ingredients listed..

and here is the printable version of the recipe with all ingredients listed..
Hm. Just what I needed. I couldn't find a decent stir-fry sauce at the store today. But I've got a lot of seasonings and figured I could improvise my own.

Hm. Just what I needed. I couldn't find a decent stir-fry sauce at the store today. But I've got a lot of seasonings and figured I could improvise my own.
so did you try it out?..... how did it go? ....... there is currently a shortage of a specific
garlic chili sauce we use in chinese and asian style cooking... and we have been having
to mix up our own versions of it as well....... ....but i think it;s the specific chili pepper
grown in vietnam - that we can;t get any other way but in this sauce - that is actually the
culprit... .so it;s very hard to duplicate......... ..everybody i know is looking for this sauce
.... and people even leave notes on store shelves asking when it is coming back..... .

products-52011_2-600x1234.jpeg

so did you try it out?..... how did it go? .......

Went fine. I didn't have all (or the exact) ingredients on hand, so I mixed some soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and minced garlic together. I don't remember whether that recipe called for any spice, but I threw in a bit of cayenne as well. Turned out quite nicely.

[quote[there is currently a shortage of a specific garlic chili sauce we use in chinese and asian style cooking...[/quote]

I never notices there's a shortage. I guess it's been a while since I needed to buy chili-garlic sauce. (I mainly use it for pad Thai, and I haven't made that in a good while.)

See if you can find a condiment called sambal oelek in the same section. It's a similar chile paste. I think it lacks the garlic. But it's close enough for my tastes that I use them interchangeably.

Went fine. I didn't have all (or the exact) ingredients on hand, so I mixed some soy sauce, vinegar, ginger, and minced garlic together. I don't remember whether that recipe called for any spice, but I threw in a bit of cayenne as well. Turned out quite nicely.

[quote[there is currently a shortage of a specific garlic chili sauce we use in chinese and asian style cooking.
I never notices there's a shortage. I guess it's been a while since I needed to buy chili-garlic sauce. (I mainly use it for pad Thai, and I haven't made that in a good while.)

See if you can find a condiment called sambal oelek in the same section. It's a similar chile paste. I think it lacks the garlic. But it's close enough for my tastes that I use them interchangeably.
... (y)..similar jar - gold label?... yep.... we still have a couple of 1/2 pound jars of it in our pantry
..it;s one of the sauces we have been using to try and mix/match the chili-garlic sauce... ...but along
with missing the garlic - sambal oelek also seems to have a higher salt content than the regular garlic
chili sauce.... it has been working ok... so far... but everyone here can tell the difference.......and
the price on it has skyrocketed.... ....it makes me wonder what the price will be on the chili-garlic
sauce when it finally comes back into stock... ..some of the other sauces we use a lot of doubled
and even tripled in price from just a couple of years ago....

HFF-Sambal-Oelek-S-768x892.jpeg

My roommate went for Moroccan food last night with his girlfriend. He's not big into spicy food, so he gave me the little cup of harissa from his doggy bag. Harissa is a North African chili sauce, not all that different from the Chinese sauce aleshanee was talking about upthread.

It's delicious. I want to learn how to make it now.

But, man, is it hot. I've got a pretty decent tolerance for hot food, but just smelling this stuff was making my mouth sting. I used it as a dip for chicken nuggets. It's very weird having your face burnt off by a condiment that tastes like mint.

homemade-harissa-1.jpg

And speaking of delicious North African foods, the aforementioned girlfriend's upstairs neighbours are Algerian Muslims, and a few weeks ago, just before Ramadan ended, they gave her and her roommates a big tub of harira (not to be confused with harissa). This is a soup consisting of legumes (mainly chickpeas and lentils), tomatoes, and meat, usually lamb and lamb stock, and a few other things. It's traditionally eaten at sundown to break the fast during Ramadan. I've never had a soup based on lamb before. Man, was it good.

Last edited:
My roommate went for Moroccan food last night with his girlfriend. He's not big into spicy food, so he gave me the little cup of harissa from his doggy bag. Harissa is a North African chili sauce, not all that different from the Chinese sauce aleshanee was talking about upthread.

It's delicious. I want to learn how to make it now.

But, man, is it hot. I've got a pretty decent tolerance for hot food, but just smelling this stuff was making my mouth sting. I used it as a dip for chicken nuggets. It's very weird having your face burnt off by a condiment that tastes like mint.

homemade-harissa-1.jpg

And speaking of delicious North African foods, the aforementioned girlfriend's upstairs neighbours are Algerian Muslims, and a few weeks ago, just before Ramadan ended, they gave her and her roommates a big tub of harira (not to be confused with harissa). This is a soup consisting of legumes (mainly chickpeas and lentils), tomatoes, and meat, usually lamb and lamb stock, and a few other things. It's traditionally eaten at sundown to break the fast during Ramadan. I've never had a soup based on lamb before. Man, was it good.

i have never heard of harissa sauce before.... . but it sounds awesome.....just the look of it in the picture screams "hot".... .. . thanks for posting this..... .i;m going to see if i can order it and try it out... ..:cool:

Mrs. abcaines turned me loose in Costco today with her bank card. I've had a hunkering for spicy lately so I picked up a jar of kimchi. I tried kimchi in cheap Chinese restaurants and wasn't impressed. The stuff I got from Costco on the other hand... as soon as I opened the jar I got the front of my shirt wet with drool. 🤤 As I ate it the crunch was very satisfying. As for spice, I think it's been toned down for most people's palates. Nothing a few dashes of cayenne sauce can't fix.

For my supper, a salmon patty smothered in this kimchi. Oh the flavor!

Mrs. abcaines turned me loose in Costco today with her bank card. I've had a hunkering for spicy lately so I picked up a jar of kimchi. I tried kimchi in cheap Chinese restaurants and wasn't impressed. The stuff I got from Costco on the other hand... as soon as I opened the jar I got the front of my shirt wet with drool. 🤤 As I ate it the crunch was very satisfying. As for spice, I think it's been toned down for most people's palates. Nothing a few dashes of cayenne sauce can't fix.

For my supper, a salmon patty smothered in this kimchi. Oh the flavor!
it sounds like the same one we have at costco here.... it;s good mixed with boiled tako too... (octopus)..🐙... we have done something similar before with tako we have caught if we didn;t have enough to take to the hawaiian market - and want to make something ourselves.... ..but we use a much hotter brand of kimchi they sell in the korean market..... almost as good as the kimchi tako poke' we get back from them after delivering our catch... ...😋

it sounds like the same one we have at costco here.... it;s good mixed with boiled tako too... (octopus)..🐙... we have done something similar before with tako we have caught if we didn;t have enough to take to the hawaiian market - and want to make something ourselves.... ..but we use a much hotter brand of kimchi they sell in the korean market..... almost as good as the kimchi tako poke' we get back from them after delivering our catch... ...😋
That sounds great. I've tried the poke' bowls from a couple local restaurants and they are tasty but too much rice!!! I don't mind a little rice but when I'm bloated after eating a poke' bowl, that's a bit much. Is there an alternative to rice for a poke' bowl?