Favorite Foods and Recipes...

I've made puttanesca sauce, and added bacon or tuna. Never done it with shrimp, though.
i think the traditional way to make it was with fish.. cut and cooked the same way as he did the shrimp.... we have done it that way, and also made it with crab before....(the cheap artificial kind...) ....as well as a mix of... shrimp..clams... crab.. scallops... and fish. ...even oysters if we can get good ones.... . that;s when it starts getting complicated because we don;t cook them all together at the same time.... .... never used tuna or ahi before... ... but the bacon idea sounds pretty good... . i;ll have to try it that way sometime......

Last edited:
perfect shepherds pie

the other day i was talking about shepherds pie in another thread....
so today..... i decided i had to post a shepherds pie recipe..

and. .. a link to his page with the printed recipe....

I loved shepherd's pie! My wife and I used to make it several times a month. It's been a while, though.

I loved shepherd's pie! My wife and I used to make it several times a month. It's been a while, though.
i had heard about it.... but the first time i ever tried it was at cheesecake factory when they first came here.... ... i loved it.... ..it kinda reminded me,in a very good sort of way.. of the pot pies i stood on a kitchen chair to get out of the freezer... and then cooked for myself when i was a child.... .. my mom always bought a dozen or more of the cheap swanson chicken pot pies... along with tv dinners... to stuff the freezer with.... things i could cook for myself and not have to bother her... .. but occasionally she grabbed a beef pot pie mixed in with the chicken.. and it was like a special treat eating one of those every now and then....... ...... and yes..... the c-c-factory shepherd pie was many times better than a swanson beef pot pie..... but you gotta remember that memory was from the days when i cooked most of my own meals standing on a chair in front of the stove ... stirring a pan of spaghettios.... and usually in a dark kitchen too coz the lightbulb was frequently burned out... ....you never know as a kid what good food really is... only later.. ... and when you have money to keep the lights on..;)

edit... by the way... one of the youtubers i use to follow from scotland.... who is an expert on the english longbow..... said it was the one thing the english longbow and shepherds pie had in common...... both were stolen from the welsh...... ..... i don;t know a lot about british isle history.... does anybody know if that;s true... . it made a good story that he worked into his longbow routine.... i know the longbow originally came from wales ...but i couldn;t make certain what he said about shepherds pie..... ....either way... ..i am a big fan of both.... 🏹

Last edited:

Beef Shawarma - Mediterran Sandwich

.. with Garlic Tahini Sauce ...a Lebanese Recipe

in it;s structure it;s kinda similar to the classic gyro sandwich american diners are familiar with...
...made with pita bread or open face...but this shawarma recipe uses beef instead of lamb ...
...same
same vegetables as the gyro.... but different spices... and you can make this at home...👩‍🍳

ingredients
pita bread
garlic tahini sauce (recipe below)
beef shawarma slices (recipe below)

veggies of your choice -
I used:
fresh tomatoes
fresh spring onions
fresh ice burg lettuce
pickled jalepènos
fresh cucumbers

for the shawarma marinade:
1 kilo undercut beef (tenderloin)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp zeera
1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp nutmeg powder
1/2 tsp ginger powder
1/2 tsp black peppercorns
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 dried oregano
1/2 tsp kaala zeera
5-6 garlic cloves
1/2 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup olive oil

for the garlic tahini sauce:
1/2 cup tahini paste
1 tsp garlic paste
1/2 tsp salt
4 tbsp lemon juice
2 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp fresh cream
2 tbsp mayo
1 tbsp olive oil (make adjustments if necessary)
1 pinch black pepper

SHOW LESS

ok superbowl fans.... maybe you were thinking about making your own superbowl snacks
to munch on while watching the big game... . or maybe not... but if you were, then this
is a really simple and easy snack that some of us have actually made into a meal before....
(accidentally of course)..:sneaky:.. .it only requires 3 ingredients... recipe is below the video..👩‍🍳

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers....

ok superbowl fans.... maybe you were thinking about making your own superbowl snacks
to munch on while watching the big game... . or maybe not... but if you were, then this
is a really simple and easy snack that some of us have actually made into a meal before....
(accidentally of course)..:sneaky:.. .it only requires 3 ingredients... recipe is below the video..👩‍🍳

Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers....

You had me at bacon.

Beef Shawarma - Mediterran Sandwich

.. with Garlic Tahini Sauce ...a Lebanese Recipe

Love me some shawarma. Ottawa has a large Lebanese population (they dominate the food-service industry here), and you can't take five steps without tripping over a shawarma shop.

It could be a regional thing (the local vendors adapting their recipes to local tastes) but I don't know how authentic that garlic-tahini sauce is. If you get a beef shawarma here, it's served with hummus and tahini--no garlic in sight, unless you also get a side order of potatoes.

On the other hand, if you order a chicken shawarma, it comes loaded with a sauce called thoum, which is basically a super-strong garlic mayonnaise without the eggs (oil, vinegar, garlic). After eating that meal, you need a couple pieces of baklava to kill the garlic taste. Then you need a double espresso to kill the baklava. And then you need a super-strong mint to kill the coffee. (Fortunately, Ottawa is saturated with coffee shops, too...)

Love me some shawarma. Ottawa has a large Lebanese population (they dominate the food-service industry here), and you can't take five steps without tripping over a shawarma shop.

It could be a regional thing (the local vendors adapting their recipes to local tastes) but I don't know how authentic that garlic-tahini sauce is. If you get a beef shawarma here, it's served with hummus and tahini--no garlic in sight, unless you also get a side order of potatoes.

On the other hand, if you order a chicken shawarma, it comes loaded with a sauce called thoum, which is basically a super-strong garlic mayonnaise without the eggs (oil, vinegar, garlic). After eating that meal, you need a couple pieces of baklava to kill the garlic taste. Then you need a double espresso to kill the baklava. And then you need a super-strong mint to kill the coffee. (Fortunately, Ottawa is saturated with coffee shops, too...)

i think the garlic-tahini sauce might just be a personal choice for her.. ..she often tweeks recipes to personal taste... .. . and if she is anything like me then she eats a lot of garlic..... i eat so much .. and so often... in fact i don;t even notice a garlic after-taste with anything i cook with it...... ...i guess i am totally used to it... .... which is probably why people who don;t eat the same way i do have a problem getting use to being around me... :sneaky: .... . ...

we love eating french fries with a super garlic-mayonase sauce very similar to thoum.... .. we mix it up ourselves... ....in fact we also eat fried calamari with a thoum sauce instead of the usual tomato based seafood coctail sauces..... ..... it;s really good that way... .... ..i hear you on the double espresso... ... i can drink espresso and coffee with espresso, all day long.... ....i love it.... .. .

back when startbucks was closing some of it;s stores that were across the street from other starbucks, we bought double sets of equipment from 2 of them... ... one set is in our kitchen now and the other is in storage in case the first one breaks.... we are that serious about our coffee.. :coffee: . ... plus there is a lot of us in this household... so we have a lot of serious coffee drinkers to make it for....

Last edited:

Delicious Tawa Naan Recipe

NO Oven No Yeast Required - With Garlic & Sesame Seeds

Recipe Ingredients:

4 cups maida
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 cup yoghurt
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
5-6 cloves grated garlic

keep adding water until the right consistency is
formed before putting the Naan on the stove:
- add coriander leaves - sesame seeds - grated garlic

not feeling especially energetic today... so for tonight;s dinner...
....... it;s gonna be...

Oven Roasted Chicken and Vegetables

.... chef jean pierre style... (link to chefs recipe below the video) 👩‍🍳

that looks pretty good..... also looks pretty quick and easy to make... but what kind of bread crust is it on?......
..... (picture from the link you posted... shabam pizza..)
Shabam.png

It's an ordinary thin crust. Their crusts are very cracker like.
thanks.... we are fairly restaurant deprived out here in the islands.... especially after the pandemic... ..so ..when there is no recipe available.. we love reverse engineering foods we have had in restaurants before... and can;t get any more... that definitely looks good and like something i would try to make myself..... i might try to do it and just play around with the crust to see what works best..... crust can make the difference with a pizza.... but just looking at the topping combination makes me hungry....:)

Last edited:
thanks.... we are fairly restaurant deprived out here in the islands.... especially after the pandemic... ..so ..when there is no recipe available.. we love reverse engineering foods we have had in restaurants before... and can;t get any more... that definitely looks good and like something i would try to make myself..... i might try to do it and just play around with the crust to see what works best..... crust can make the difference with a pizza.... but just looking at the topping combination makes me hungry....:)
Being the restaurant this comes from is in Washington, I'm amazed they're still in business. Only a few very well established places are still open in Clarkston. It is much easier to do business across the river in Idaho. Idaho's governor almost lost his job when he tried to keep the shutdown going.

My wife has been working at Fazzari's since 1985 and could tell you how they make them but a guy came to work there several years ago, learned the recipes then opened his own pizza joint across town, almost an exact copy of Fazzari's. Needless to say the Fazzari brothers have become tight lipped about their recipes since then.

I can tell you that their pizzas are baked in traditional pizza ovens at very high temps. The bottom of the crusts are very crisp but where the toppings are, is tender. There must be some leavening in the crust because they bubble up while baking. As for the sauce, it is made with yellow mustard as well as other ingredients to tone down the sharpness of the mustard. Again, I'm sworn to secrecy.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Last edited:
Being the restaurant this comes from is in Washington, I'm amazed they're still in business. Only a few very well established places are still open in Clarkston. It is much easier to do business across the river in Idaho. Idaho's governor almost lost his job when he tried to keep the shutdown going.

My wife has been working at Fazzari's since 1985 and could tell you how they make them but a guy came to work there several years ago, learned the recipes then opened his own pizza joint across town, almost an exact copy of Fazzari's. Needless to say the Fazzari brothers have become tight lipped about their recipes since then.

I can tell you that their pizzas are baked in traditional pizza ovens at very high temps. The bottom of the crusts are very crisp but where the toppings are, is tender. There must be some leavening in the crust because they bubble up while baking. As for the sauce, it is made with yellow mustard as well as other ingredients to tone down the sharpness of the mustard. Again, I'm sworn to secrecy.

If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

will do.... and i do understand....i guess if i had any proprietary recipes of my own... or knew how to make money off them... i would try to protect them too..... i;m not that good at coming up with my own recipes... ....and most of the things i have learned about cooking was taught to me by someone in the family who is known in local circles as one of the best cooks around. .... she can simply taste something and tell you exactly what is in it... and then within a couple of tries remake the same dish exactly as the original without even looking at a recipe..... ...it;s a talent i wish i had.... but unfortunately when it comes to cooking my best talent is following directions....;)

Amazing Pot Roast and Pasta

a Chef Jean-Pierre Method and Recipe.. using only one pot

note.. this can also be cooked in a single dutch oven over an open fire
if you know what you are doing and are good at that kind of thing.. and
as he explains you don;t have to prepare it with pasta..... you can use
potatoes with the same recipe or just have the roast all by itself.... 👩‍🍳

Last edited:
Early American Cornbread
fireplace... dutch oven ... and iron pans style..
......(can also be made over a camp fire)......

5be234927d389d15cea235ac7974756b.jpeg
and by the way.... we don;t usually carry a lot of cook ware with us when we go hunting... .. but i am definitely going to pack a dutch
oven and some iron pans/utensiles with us next time so i can try making this corn bread in camp over an open fire....... .. i figure if it
turns out to be not worth the effort then we can use it to attract the wild pigs into arrow range.. they love anything made of corn... 🌽

Last edited: