Does this article propagate idolatry?

Just skimmed it but here is a quick overview.

Article quote:

The strongest argument for the divine inspiration of the Bible is the testimony of Jesus.

Argument doesn't work. Jesus' testimony was of the "real" Mosaic Law in opposition to what the Pharisees taught. In addition, He supported the prophets and Psalms. If the author stopped there that Jesus confirmed those portions, I would agree, but Jesus obviously never mentioned NT writings as being divinely inspired.

Point again made with no evidence:

Jesus directly affirmed the authority of the Old Testament and indirectly affirmed the New Testament.

Author then goes on to show how Jesus affirmed much of the OT. One point he did not bring up is that Jesus never said there was not any interpolation in the OT. Affirming the existence and even works of OT personnel doesn't affirm flawless record.

Jesus confirmed the Old Testament and promised that the Holy Spirit would inspire the apostles in the continuation of His teaching and in the writing of what would become the New Testament (John 14:25-26 and John 16:12-13).

Contrary to the statement of the author of the article, Jesus never confirmed inspiration in the "writing" of anything. Guidance of the Holy Spirit was what was promised and the things that they hadn't been able to apply, wisdom to discern would be given to them. This is why there was a Jerusalem Council which determined which OT Laws were applicable to the Gentiles (abstinence from idol meat) and which weren't (circumcision). In addition, the statement Jesus made was specific to the twelve, not to "additional" apostolic wannabes.

The Bible is the only book that gives supernatural confirmation to support its claim of divine inspiration. Other scriptures which contradict it cannot, therefore, be true.

Not so. There are other writings that were confirmed such as Jasher. In addition, the Bible DOES NOT claim divine inspiration of a 66-book canon.

Since we have good reason to believe the Bible is the inspired word of God, any teaching that contradicts the Bible must be false.

So if someone disagrees with my subjective logic and reasoning, it must be a lie. This makes MY intepretation correct and all others false. No wonder the Bible teachings have splintered many "believers" into various camps of doctrine!

The Bible makes exclusive claims regarding God, truth and salvation that would exclude other scriptures.

Then the Bible would be clear on salvation and Jesus would have preached salvation by grace through faith alone as well as the need for His sacrifice on the cross and our need for imputed righteousness due to Adam's fall. But Jesus clearly did not teach those things so if the "salvation" portion of the Bible is debatable, how can that be a single "exlusive claim"?

I wouldn't say the article propagates idoloatry but it is wrong on many points. It seems like a book report on Evidence That Demands a Verdict or That Manuscript from Outer Space. Both books make valid points on biblical accuracy but accuracy does not divine inspiration make.

How great rsc2A art and SC...my two go to guys for Biblical apologetics.
;D

Tarheel Baptist said:
;D

Remember, I admit my apologetic viewpoint is subjective.  :-*

Tarheel Baptist said:
;D

Funny thing is I agree with most of his arguments for why the Bible is trustworthy...

...while disgreeing with pretty much everything the author says about what Jesus meant. (More or less, the entire first paragraph.) He's also a bit lacking on his understanding of other major religions. (last few paragraphs)

rsc2a said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
;D

Funny thing is I agree with most of his arguments for why the Bible is trustworthy...

...while disgreeing with pretty much everything the author says about what Jesus meant. (More or less, the entire first paragraph.) He's also a bit lacking on his understanding of other major religions. (last few paragraphs)

For me, being "trustworthy" concerning history isn't the issue any more than the local paper. I agree that there is a great deal of reliability in many of the things, including the miraculous. However, it is clear that Jesus did not claim divine inspiration of a 66-book canon and neither did Paul (regardless of what one thinks about him). So the claim of inspiration of any canon is simply subjective at best.

"Every man did that which was right in his own eyes...and God saw that it was good".

Tarheel Baptist said:
"Every man did that which was right in his own eyes...".

Like the belief in the inspiration of the 66-book canon.

Which I guess is why "every" is the key word. Subjectivity...

Smellin Coffee said:
Tarheel Baptist said:
"Every man did that which was right in his own eyes...".

Like the belief in the inspiration of the 66-book canon.

Which I guess is why "every" is the key word. Subjectivity...

You have chosen to place your trust in the word of...YOU!
You decide that the words of Jesus and some of the Law is true...but everything else is false.
On what basis? YOU decide.

You can believe what you want and lead those you influence to do the same.
In 100 years we'll know the truth...

Tarheel Baptist said:

Tis clear from the quote below.....

The man in the street says, ‘What do these Christians know? It is only their opinion, they are just perpetrating something that the real thinkers and scientists have long since seen through and have stopped considering’. Such is the attitude of the man in the street! He does not listen any longer, he has lost all interest. The whole situation is one of drift; and very largely, I say, it is the direct and immediate outcome of the doubt that has been cast by the Church herself upon her only real authority. Men’s opinions have taken the place of God’s truth, and the people in their need are turning to the cults, and are listening to any false authority that offers itself to them.
We all therefore have to face this ultimate and final question: Do we accept the Bible as the Word of God, as the sole authority in all matters of faith and practice, or do we not?

...that Lloyd Jones was not only a heretic, but undoubtedly had Gnostic tendencies.

:D

And you have chosen to place your trust in religious tradition. Your choice, right or wrong makes it in the word of...YOU!

You decide that the words of Jesus and some of the Law is true...but everything else is false.

Methinks you confuse truth with divine inspiration. Just because something is not divinely inspired does not automatically make it false. So I'm hoping you are just mis-wording your thoughts instead of maligning my position. I find much of the Bible trustworthy though not divinely inspired.

You are absolutely right. Just like YOU decide to believe in the inspiration of the 66-book canon. You also are the originator of your belief system just like I am of mine.

I have no intentions of trying to influence anybody of any belief system other than to investigate for themselves and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I agree.

That is unless I am reincarnated as a Baptist preacher or something...  :p (No, I don't believe in reincarnation...)

Smellin Coffee said:
That is unless I am reincarnated as a Baptist preacher or something...  :p (No, I don't believe in reincarnation...)

If reincarnation turns out to be true, I want to be reincarnated as.... uh, nah, this post would definitely get deleted.  Never mind. 

Smellin Coffee said:

And you have chosen to place your trust in religious tradition. Your choice, right or wrong makes it in the word of...YOU!

Methinks you confuse truth with divine inspiration. Just because something is not divinely inspired does not automatically make it false. So I'm hoping you are just mis-wording your thoughts instead of maligning my position. I find much of the Bible trustworthy though not divinely inspired.

You are absolutely right. Just like YOU decide to believe in the inspiration of the 66-book canon. You also are the originator of your belief system just like I am.

I have no intentions of trying to influence anybody of any belief system other than to investigate for themselves and follow the teachings of Jesus Christ.

I agree.

You don't believe the words written by Paul are truthful....he stole from the Gnostics.
Yet Luke's gospel is true but Luke's writing in Acts aren't truthful.

Again, IMO that's inconsistent subjectivity....based on the discernment of YOU!

I accept what I believe by faith...because the Scripture tells us the just shall live by faith.

Just have to wait and see....I'm good with that!  :)

ALAYMAN said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

The man in the street says, ‘What do these Christians know? It is only their opinion, they are just perpetrating something that the real thinkers and scientists have long since seen through and have stopped considering’. Such is the attitude of the man in the street! He does not listen any longer, he has lost all interest. The whole situation is one of drift; and very largely, I say, it is the direct and immediate outcome of the doubt that has been cast by the Church herself upon her only real authority. Men’s opinions have taken the place of God’s truth, and the people in their need are turning to the cults, and are listening to any false authority that offers itself to them.
We all therefore have to face this ultimate and final question: Do we accept the Bible as the Word of God, as the sole authority in all matters of faith and practice, or do we not?

...that Lloyd Jones was not only a heretic, but undoubtedly had Gnostic tendencies.

Then Lloyd Jones needs to explain where the Bible spells out the canon. I mean my Bibles have a table of contents, but I wouldn't consider that part of it to be Scripture.

ALAYMAN said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

:D Indeed!

rsc2a said:
ALAYMAN said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Then Lloyd Jones needs to explain where the Bible spells out the canon. I mean my Bibles have a table of contents, but I wouldn't consider that part of it to be Scripture.

He's dead.

Tarheel Baptist said:
rsc2a said:

He's dead.

Well, there you have it. 

ALAYMAN said:
Tarheel Baptist said:

Jones is misplaced in that he doesn't drill down the idea that "God's truth" is a relative perception. The JW would say something different than the Mormon which would be different than the Catholic which would be different than the Reformed, etc. And all would be using the same texts in their opinions. So even "authority" of a text itself lends to interpretation. The problem is, all of those religious groups adhere to their own interpretations as being that of "authority". In essence, giving the Bible "final authority" gives us free reign to use it to support our own ideals. That isn't authority at all but rather a bully weapon.

So Jones' "God's truth" is really no different than the "men's opinions" he gripes about.