Acts 9:5

abcaines

Staff member
Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
In the account of Saul's conversion on the road to Damascus, most translations omit the idiom, "hard to kick against the prices (or goads)."

I have been scouring the internet looking for commentary on why only the KJV includes this line and others do not. I've not been able to find anything. I've found one source that merely acknowledged the difference but did not expound on it. Is anyone familiar with a source that goes into detail as to why this is so?

Footnote in the NKJV:

NU, M omit the rest of v. 5 and begin v. 6 with But arise and go

In other words, neither the Nestle-Aland/UBS text, nor the Majority Text, includes the phrase, so it's likely neither an old nor a majority reading. In fact, it appears to have no support at all.

Compare Acts 26:14. There's no question about the authenticity of the text where Paul recounts his own testimony before Agrippa. Likely the missing phrases in 9:5-6 were inserted from chapter 26 to harmonize them.

BTW, a "bibliophile" is a lover of books in general, not the Bible in particular. (I.e. bibliophilia is not bibliology.) This thread is better suited to the Bible Versions forum. I'm going to wait a little while so people have a chance to see this note, then I'll move the thread over.

F. F. Bruce, in "New Bible Commentary," states that "These words have been imported into this context from the parallel passages . . . Acts 26:14." Jamieson/Fausset/Brown and Wycliffe Bible Commentary are in agreement with that.

In the account of Saul's conversion on the road to Damascus, most translations omit the idiom, "hard to kick against the prices (or goads)."

I have been scouring the internet looking for commentary on why only the KJV includes this line and others do not. I've not been able to find anything. I've found one source that merely acknowledged the difference but did not expound on it. Is anyone familiar with a source that goes into detail as to why this is
Acts 9:4-5. "Falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, "Sha'ul! Sha'ul! Why do you keep persecuting me?" "Sir who are you?" He asked. "I am Yeshua, and you are persecuting me.
Jewish Messianic Bible

Acts 9:4-5. "Falling to the ground, he heard a voice saying to him, "Sha'ul! Sha'ul! Why do you keep persecuting me?" "Sir who are you?" He asked. "I am Yeshua, and you are persecuting me.
Jewish Messianic Bible
If you're not going to answer his question, say nothing. No one asked for an off-topic advertisement for Messianic Judaism.

If you're not going to answer his question, say nothing. No one asked for an off-topic advertisement for Messianic Judaism.
First of all I take orders from no one especially the likes of you. You need to take your antisemitism elsewhere.
I answered his question fool. You are too ignorant to see it. Get a life

[taps the "Administrator" flair again]

Try me and see what happens, guy.
You are an uneducated low life.
People like you I can buy and sell.
So hit the bricks. Shouldn't you be standing on the side of a road with a sign begging for food?

You are an uneducated low life.
People like you I can buy and sell.
So hit the bricks. Shouldn't you be standing on the side of a road with a sign begging for food?
Ah the love of Yeshewah ben Dah-veed.