The Most Authentic Teachers at HAC

Justice1976

Elect
Reaction score
My experience ends in 1981, so I can't speak to anyone who came afterward, but I believe these were most authentic faculty in my time at HAC: Ed Reese, George Godfrey, Toby Weaver, Bruce Johnson and Maxine Barber.

Sadly, I was not as appreciative of them while there as I grew to be later. These were devoted people -- they had to be -- who I believe in many ways didn't totally bury their heads in the sand to so much of the insanity that permeated the place and tried to be true to what they felt God wanted for them. Some of them I actually didn't think much of during my school years, but if I could, I would tell them thanks if I met them today. I'm sure I am forgetting others.

Ed Reese is dead, but I think the remainder are alive. I wish them the best.

My experience ends in 1981, so I can't speak to anyone who came afterward, but I believe these were most authentic faculty in my time at HAC: Ed Reese, George Godfrey, Toby Weaver, Bruce Johnson and Maxine Barber.

Sadly, I was not as appreciative of them while there as I grew to be later. These were devoted people -- they had to be -- who I believe in many ways didn't totally bury their heads in the sand to so much of the insanity that permeated the place and tried to be true to what they felt God wanted for them. Some of them I actually didn't think much of during my school years, but if I could, I would tell them thanks if I met them today. I'm sure I am forgetting others.

Ed Reese is dead, but I think the remainder are alive. I wish them the best.
I have a vivid memory of sitting in George Godfrey's class on my first day. I think I jumped in my seat. He certainly made a case for soulwinning. Sadly, I thought Joe Combs was authentic, until I heard the deplorable news about him. I agree with you regarding Bruce Johnson and Mrs. Barber. I also thought the lady who taught Children's Literature was pretty authentic. Don't remember her name. Mrs. Evans may have been authentic. Hard to say, but she wasn't my favorite teacher, especially because I had to take Intro to Psych with her. I had already taken it at my local university. The professor had worked with autistic children and knew psychology. In Mrs. Evans' class, we mostly heard, "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice." Mr. Mitchell allowed very few credits to transfer from my ACCREDITED college.

Last edited:
I have a vivid memory of sitting in George Godfrey's class on my first day. I think I jumped in my seat. He certainly made a case for soulwinning. Sadly, I thought Joe Combs was authentic, until I heard the deplorable news about him. I agree with you regarding Bruce Johnson and Mrs. Barber. I also thought the lady who taught Children's Literature was pretty authentic. Don't remember her name. Mrs. Evans may have been authentic. Hard to say, but she wasn't my favorite teacher, especially because I had to take Intro to Psych with her. I had already taken it at my local university. The professor had worked with autistic children and knew psychology. In Mrs. Evans' class, we mostly heard, "Rejoice in the Lord always and again I say rejoice." Mr. Mitchell allowed very few credits to transfer from my ACCREDITED college.
Agree with you on Mrs. Evans. She was a little hard to evaluate as a teacher. I remember how she would always have one of her minions open the class and she would come in after about ten minutes. That was a put off for me. But otherwise, I had a generally favorable opinion of her.

Bro. Godfrey could be rough. For a guy who was teaching us how to "win" people, he could be rather abrupt in his personal interactions with students. Retrospectively, I think he was extremely sincere and burdened, and so I give him high marks.

Joe Combs fooled a lot of us. I read the complete appellate record from the Criminal Court of Appeals in Tennessee. I'm not saying that inaccuracies don't sometimes make it into court records. However, they tend to be researched documents and usually don't contain items that can't be verified by another legal document. The record contains some of the most vile acts that one person can perpetrate on another and I've seen a LOT of records. I mean, inmates in prison don't commit these acts on each other. And these were set forth to have been perpetrated upon his own children. If HALF of what is in that record is true -- and at bottom, I think you can rely on it to be half, if not completely true -- then Combs is one of the most vile people I have ever come across. Completely disgusting.

Mr Laurent was an excellent Bible teacher.
Mrs Evans was alot of fun she was a light for the Lord.
Mr Godrey I never got his screaming in class and his personal opinions.
Joe Combs never cared for his teaching. He deserves to be where he is
Mrs Barber was excellent I needed a tutor in her class.

Agree with you on Mrs. Evans. She was a little hard to evaluate as a teacher. I remember how she would always have one of her minions open the class and she would come in after about ten minutes. That was a put off for me. But otherwise, I had a generally favorable opinion of her.

Bro. Godfrey could be rough. For a guy who was teaching us how to "win" people, he could be rather abrupt in his personal interactions with students. Retrospectively, I think he was extremely sincere and burdened, and so I give him high marks.

Joe Combs fooled a lot of us. I read the complete appellate record from the Criminal Court of Appeals in Tennessee. I'm not saying that inaccuracies don't sometimes make it into court records. However, they tend to be researched documents and usually don't contain items that can't be verified by another legal document. The record contains some of the most vile acts that one person can perpetrate on another and I've seen a LOT of records. I mean, inmates in prison don't commit these acts on each other. And these were set forth to have been perpetrated upon his own children. If HALF of what is in that record is true -- and at bottom, I think you can rely on it to be half, if not completely true -- then Combs is one of the most vile people I have ever come across. Completely disgusting.
I remember Mrs. Foster teaching a class for future teachers. We had a small book with few pages that became even smaller when she had us rip pages from them!

I forgot about Dr. Cowling! I thought he was great. I always wondered what he was doing there.

He shared two films based on Oscar Wilde books - "The Selfish Giant" and "The Happy Prince." I still treasure them

P.S. I was a CASA for a year, so I've heard and seen some rough stuff myself. I have no compassion for those who abuse others, particularly the most vulnerable. The case I worked with had a "grandpa" who had abused every one of his kids and grandkids who then became addicts and unstable and/or abusers themselves. It took the government much longer than I wanted to lock him up.

The cases of Joe Combs and David Hyles taught me not to trust everyone who says they are a Christian. There are people who abuse/manipulate others in the name of Christ. They will get their just reward, although if they serve prison time, it's nice to see the government at work.

Last edited:
Mr Laurent was an excellent Bible teacher.
Mrs Evans was alot of fun she was a light for the Lord.
Mr Godrey I never got his screaming in class and his personal opinions.
Joe Combs never cared for his teaching. He deserves to be where he is
Mrs Barber was excellent I needed a tutor in her class.
Mrs. Barber knew her material. After all these years, I remember our haiku assignment. I wrote, "Long black hair let down to wash sinless feet."

I think she gave me a B, and I couldn't figure out why I didn't get an A. Since I liked it, I thought the teacher/professor would too. Who knows, maybe not the right amount of syllables....lol.