Jim Vineyard passes away

RAIDER

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Just heard that Jim Vineyard passed away today.

RAIDER said:
Just heard that Jim Vineyard passed away today.
I was able to spend a little personal time with him as I and one other man drove him to an airport after he preached at  Larry Brown's church in Iowa.
Looong time ago.

Homegoing service will be Friday, October 27, 1:00 p.m., at Windsor Hills Baptist Church, 5517 NW 23rd Street, Oklahoma City, OK. 

2027814_profile_pic.jpg

http://www.mercer-adams.com/memsol.cgi?user_id=2027814

I never really heard,

Did Dr. Vineyard leave Hammond because he and Dr. Hyles had a falling out or was it just time for him to start his own ministry?

sword said:
I never really heard,

Did Dr. Vineyard leave Hammond because he and Dr. Hyles had a falling out or was it just time for him to start his own ministry?

He was called to a new ministry due to coarse and crude leadership methods better suited to a military boot camp than a Christian college.
Oh, he got results, it's just that may were not appreciated in a Christian environment.

Vinyard left during my first year at the college. I didn't much care for him then. You were branded as "soft" and not very dedicated (to put it mildly) if you expressed your dislike then. I witnessed him doing some things to students that were abusive, physically and otherwise. In retrospect, I think he epitomized everything that was wrong about HAC. I always believed that Jack Hyles loved Vinyard's results but otherwise, didn't know how to control him. I'm not a huge Ray Young fan, but I didn't miss Vinyard after he left.

Vinyard left during my first year at the college. I didn't much care for him then. You were branded as "soft" and not very dedicated (to put it mildly) if you expressed your dislike then. I witnessed him doing some things to students that were abusive, physically and otherwise. In retrospect, I think he epitomized everything that was wrong about HAC. I always believed that Jack Hyles loved Vinyard's results but otherwise, didn't know how to control him. I'm not a huge Ray Young fan, but I didn't miss Vinyard after he left.

He built an empire in Oklahoma City. His son is now pastor of Higher Plains (formerly known as Windsor Hills).