Jack Hyles vs John R. Rice.

Ekklesian

Doctor
Elect
Reaction score
Lurking at the old Baptist Board, where pansies grow...

Caught the fumes of a thread in which I think many here would be interested. Of course, it's poisoned by Zionism, but I repeat myself.

Enjoy. :)

Interesting story. Lots of variables. If Rice believed the ASV was "better", why didn't he use it? The short answer, which is not meant as a negative against him, is that if he did, the "common masses" would drop him like a hot potato.

You've got to pay the bills, after all.

It reminds me of an SBC pastor friend who is amillenial. He told me if he taught/preached that he would be booted out. He's got bills too.

I liked Rice. His material was very helpful. I met him in person (talked to him, etc) later in life (the photo I took is attached) while attending Central Baptist. I volunteered to take photos for the lady's meeting. Curtis Hutson was his assistant and very nice. He let me pick any book as a "thank you".

So I ignore all this "squabble" about versions and take the meat and use it.

Sword Jubilee.jpg

Interesting story. Lots of variables. If Rice believed the ASV was "better", why didn't he use it? The short answer, which is not meant as a negative against him, is that if he did, the "common masses" would drop him like a hot potato.

Or maybe he did use it. I use multiple translations for personal study or for lesson preparation, even if publicly I only read from the same translation everyone else is using.

Or maybe he did use it. I use multiple translations for personal study or for lesson preparation, even if publicly I only read from the same translation everyone else is using.
Obviously, my comment refers to his public preaching ministry and his print ministry. I'm fairly certain the "common masses" wouldn't know if he read the Living Bible, ASV, ESV, and RSV in his living room or study.

Sandy Black I know she is the wife of Jim Black. He did pastor in California small world. Sword conferences for ladies never came to south Florida sadly.

Constituency. Like you said, he had to pay the bills. Fundamentalism was slowly morphing into legalism, and KJVO was an easy legalistic goal, and he did not want to lose readers at the Sword of the Lord.